Author Topic: One of my first attempts at neapolitan pizza: not bad!  (Read 2871 times)

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
One of my first attempts at neapolitan pizza: not bad!
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:55:20 AM »
I'm new to making neapolitan style pizza. This is my fourth or fifth batch. My first two batches didn't have a sourdough starter, and this is the first batch where I've been able to get my oven hot enough to make a decent pizza. All batches using Varesano's method (THANK YOU JEFF!!!). Distribution of mozz is a little off, but all in all not bad. Let me know what "y'all" think. More pictures and better quality pictures of this pizza (and it's birth) available at my web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fabtheman/LaMiaPizzaNapoletana
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 01:02:19 AM by fabio »

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
Re: One of my first attempts at neapolitan pizza: not bad!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:18:40 AM »
That's a very impressive pizza!

You say that you are new to making neapolitan style pizza, but I think that you are actually already pretty close to making a really really good one!

In my opinion taste is the most important thing - can you describe how it tasted? Was it very different from the pizza you usually make?

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 09:05:22 AM »
Outstanding pizza for only a fourth or fifth batch.  Good work.  I recognize that type of crust from my earlier experiments - go hotter on your oven if at all possible.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:48:58 AM »
That pizza sure looks good.  At what temp did you cook it? and how long?

From the lightness of the color,  I assume this is 100 % Caputo Pizzeria flour.

Congratulations.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words!

@Vitus: I am very picky about taste and my motto is that if people don't eat the crust, you have done something wrong. I can tell you that the taste of the pizza crust was phenomenal. Unfortunately I don't have mozzarella di bufala or s. marzano tomatoes (yet?), but the toppings were also very good. The crust was crispy on the very outside and just a little bit chewy and oh so delicious because of the camaldoli sourdough starter. Of course you could taste that bit of charring and people who tasted it could swear that it was cooked in a wood fired oven (it was not!). I've had pizza in Italy (my aunt has a pizzeria there) and i've had it as close to naples as Caserta (in the province of naples, but not quite the city) and I can honestly say that this pizza I made was the best pizza I've ever had.

@scpizza: Thanks for the tip, I will try to go hotter. What qualities will improve by doing this?

@tonymark: LOL, I'm not sure what temp I cooked it at. I used a Baker's Pride deck style gas industrial oven that only goes to 650F, but I found a hidden screw that (apparently) lets you -- ehem -- "calibrate" the temp. I know it is much hotter than that now, but I don't have an oven thermometer that goes that hot. I've got to invest in an IR thermometer. If that weren't enough, to really show how green I am at this, I don't even know the hydration of the dough, but I would guess 62%+. That said, it cooked for just over 3 minutes. As concerns the flour, I haven't found Caputo flour yet. I am in Canada and it seems to be a little tougher to find here, though I haven't tried that hard. I used a "Rogers" brand bread flour that has 13gr of protein for every 100gr. I actually made another batch of dough yesterday morning (that I will use today) with a flour that I found at my local safeway which says that it is made from wheat flour plus gluten flour. This also has 13gr of protein, but I'm guessing a larger %age of the protein is from gluten. I was able to get it to 71% hydration, believe it or not, so it will be interesting to see the results.

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »
I am very picky about taste and my motto is that if people don't eat the crust, you have done something wrong.
I totally agree! A pizza crust can and ought to be so delicious although it is "just" (!!!) bread. :)

I can honestly say that this pizza I made was the best pizza I've ever had.
From what you're telling, I am not surprised! It sounds like this pie had all the virtues of a superb neapolitan pizza! Keep making those pies and posting pictures to share your experiences!  :D

Offline lamesadrive

• In search of the best pizza
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 07:10:18 PM »
Just starting to get into pizza myself.  I have a bakers pride as well, what are you cooking on over the grill?  And if you get an IR and figure out how hot it is, let me know!  Thanks.

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:40:28 PM »
Well, I have a baker's pride oven (you mentioned a grill?) that has a large refractory stone as its base. It looks sorta like the last oven on this page: http://www.bakerspride.com/products-hearthbake-e.asp. I think it would be quite difficult to get a pizza napoletana from a grill because you need intense heat from the bottom and the top. Hope that hleps.

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 08:36:43 AM »
The browning and consistency of the crust will improve with a hotter oven.  This crust looks just like ones I made trying to bake at 600deg.  Bake times >3 minutes start to dry out the crust making it stiff and crunchy throughout and do not properly brown the outside.