As I suspected, IDY is not bred to feed in an acidic/fruit environment. Wine yeast is your best bet.
"Wouldn't you know the next day this thing was under pressure.", "So I wonder if it's living to begin with"
Unless you sealed the container while it was still hot, I don't see how this can be anything but live microorganisms. You will rarely smell ethanol in the presence of so much acid. Tomatoes contain citric acid, malic acid, acetic acid, lactic acid, isocitric acid, salicylic acid, ascorbic acid, cyclopiazonic acid, and formic acid. Any number of those carboxyl acids could have an equilibrium reaction with ethanol and undergo esterification, which will have more of an aromatic solvent odor rather than an ethanol odor. Of course, sometimes ethanol is just an intermediate to the production of more acetic acid from oxidation. Sorry if that's overly technical, but it's not as simple as being able to smell alcohol.
Just try the wine yeast. Even if it turns out it isn't exactly what the pizza joint uses, you might like it anyway.