Author Topic: commercial convection oven  (Read 2150 times)

Offline lawizardpa

• I Love Pizza!
commercial convection oven
« on: October 29, 2006, 11:27:38 AM »
Hi !     I am trying to find out if I can make Pan Pizzas & thin crust Pizzas in a commercial Convection oven ?  Also how would I obtain the Best results ?  :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: commercial convection oven
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 12:24:37 PM »
lawizardpa,

If you really mean a convection oven, Tom Lehmann says that they do not make good pizzas: http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi?noframes;read=1930.

Peter

Offline lawizardpa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »
Peter ; thank you so much for your Reply.
Re: Tom Lehmann.
lawizardpa  :chef:

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 12:53:14 PM »
Two very different Pizzas.I would say no to thin crust but question Tom on the Pan Pizzas?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 01:43:57 PM »
David,

I don't have an answer to your specific question but when I looked at the descriptionsand a few sample spec sheets for the commercial convection ovens sold by Bakers Pride and Blodgett, I could not find any references to pizza whatsoever. The descriptions for their pizza ovens were, of course, replete with references to pizza.

Tom Lehmann occasionally gets questions about convection ovens when the posters really mean air impingement ovens. That is why I qualified my comments to lawizardpa, to be sure that he really meant a convection oven. Tom's general view on commercial convection ovens is summarized succinctly as follows:

About the only oven that I can't really make a decent pizza in is a convection oven. That shouldn't be a surprise though as they were never designed to make pizzas.

If there are exceptions, Tom will usually mention them. Maybe there is a commercial convection oven out there somewhere that can be used to bake pizzas, but I am not aware of any from my reading.

Peter

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 03:02:27 PM »
Just to draw another line of distinction, not all convection ovens rely on heated air alone.  Many also utilize radiant heat.  In fact, the best ovens are just radiant element ovens with a fan.  Air impingement ovens rely entirely on convection, making them more "convection" than a lot of "convection ovens."  I hope Tom takes this into consideration when he gives advice about ovens.  A lot of the heat transfer in a wood-burning oven is by convection, and I know nobody is going to argue that pizzas don't bake well in a wood-burning oven.

If you're baking on a pizza stone, it shouldn't make one bit of difference what the source of heat is on the bottom of the oven, since it's the stone that's transferring the heat by conduction.

- red.november

pizzapan