Author Topic: Very good success this past weekend - 2 pizza and lots of images  (Read 3881 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Very good success this past weekend - 2 pizza and lots of images
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 04:43:10 PM »
Mark,

"Hydration" is calculated by dividing the weight of water by the weight of flour in the dough formulation. The hydration is not a "good" or "bad" thing in the abstract. It is usually related to the type of flour and the type of dough/crust that is desired (e.g., cracker, Chicago deep-dish, NY thin, etc.). In your case, where you are using all-purpose flour, 63.3% would normally be considered to be on the high side by a few percentage points. Since you didn't measure the weights of the flour and water in your first batch, it is hard to know whether the roughly 10% differential in hydration is accurate or not. If the 63.3% figure is correct, then the second dough batch should have been "wetter" than your first dough batch, whether it felt that way to you or not.

If you weigh both the flour and water in your next batch, as well as note any changes (increases or decreases) in the remaining ingredients, we can do a new set of baker's percents calculations and see where they take us. I'd be happy to do the calculations if you'd like.

I might add that many people choose high hydration percents in order to get a more open and airy crust and crumb. For this to work, other factors (e.g., dough formulation, preparation and oven management) have to be in proper order. in your case, I suspect that your DLX machine contributed in a positive way to your final results.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:39:50 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2006, 05:29:11 PM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks much for the great explaination :-)

I will weigh out the water in the next batch.  I see where I'm going wrong now, or maybe better
said is I see where I could get better.

Yes, I will weigh the water so we can get a better reading.  Gee, I'm getting excited about this, I almost
feel like doing anoter dough, but it's kind of late so I will perhaps wait.

Anyway I would be grateful if you did another calculation for me :-)

Thanks again for explaining that for me Peter.

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Scagnetti

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 04:06:55 PM »
Great looking pizzas.

I use Polly-O mozzarella but I'm not happy with my cheese melt.  I like the taste of the cheese but I want to experiment with a different "shred" size.  I like the look of the shredded cheese in your pics.  What do you use to shred your cheese?

Online DNA Dan

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 04:18:41 PM »

I use Polly-O mozzarella but I'm not happy with my cheese melt. 

I have had a similar experience with this cheese. Is there a bad batch going around? The melt was worse than sargento brand. Puddles like crazy with absolutely no stretch.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 04:34:18 PM »
Hi Scagnetti,

Thanks for the kind words  ;D

I use a regular ol' box grater.  You can see it in some of my images.

I have also been using a new grater my wife bought at IKEA ( here in Canada ) but I'm sure it exists in the States also.

It cost just over $5, ( $5.99 I think it was )

It is an oval set of graters.

2 graters ( metal, one course, one very fine )
2 plastic oval containers.
2 lids.

What is really neat about this grater, is that you put the grater onto one of the containers,
and grate the cheese right into the container.  Then you remove the metal grater and place the plastic
lid on it.

This is a new item here, and it's a big seller also.  I have a friend who is a manager at one of the IKEAs here and
it's a fast selling item.

It's just nice that you can grate and store your cheese, all in one shot, and not have to spend $29.99 like those
in those infomercials.... for it "as seen on tv " - oh and it really works well.

( I told my wife it's a great stocking stuffer for the home baker )

Great looking pizzas.

I use Polly-O mozzarella but I'm not happy with my cheese melt.  I like the taste of the cheese but I want to experiment with a different "shred" size.  I like the look of the shredded cheese in your pics.  What do you use to shred your cheese?
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

pizzapan