Author Topic: KitchenAid: Spiral Hook vs. Standard Hook  (Read 5680 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
KitchenAid: Spiral Hook vs. Standard Hook
« on: October 31, 2006, 07:24:54 PM »
The KA Web site advertises an accessory spiral hook:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=Stand+Mixer+Accessories&cat=158&prod=500

According to KA, the spiral hook "replicates hand-kneading with a powerful force that kneads 25% more yeast bread dough than our previous models."  Has anyone used both the standard and spiral hooks, preferably on the same model mixer and can offer a comparison as to whether one hook is better than the other?

Thanks.

Gene

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: KitchenAid: Spiral Hook vs. Standard Hook
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:15:31 PM »
Hi Gene
Before I bought my new KA, I asked Kitchen Aid about this, thinking that it would be cheaper way to get better performance.

You can get them to fit ................................................But....
You can't use it on the models that came with the C-hook. These mixers were not designed to handle the upward stress caused from the spirals ability to work through and knead the dough.  Tests showed that forces pushed the shaft or part of it into the planetary housing, thus destroying your mixer.

There is a "retaining" washer that has been added to the vertical shaft of the Pro 600. This prevents the shaft from being pushed up-wards by the greatly increased force of the spiral hook.

I really like the new hook. It's reduced my knead times and I don't have to finish kneading by hand (which I found  necessary with the C-hook).

Hope this helps answer your question.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:47:21 PM »
Lydia,

Yes, your answer helps a lot.  Thanks.

The only other questions I have are:

1.  Does the dough comes out any different?

2.  Is the dough better in taste, texture or both -- or should I say, is it sufficiently better to justify upgrading to a better (and more expensive) mixer?

The impression I got from your answer is that the spiral hook's only advantage is time -- i.e., the dough tastes and feels the same, but you can make it faster.

Offline alex_chef2000

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
Lydia,

Yes, your answer helps a lot.  Thanks.

The only other questions I have are:

1.  Does the dough comes out any different?

2.  Is the dough better in taste, texture or both -- or should I say, is it sufficiently better to justify upgrading to a better (and more expensive) mixer?

I just bought the spiral dough for my 20 year old KA, it works much better, I really don't think it wll hurt the mixer due the over work, the mixer runs exactly the same, even smoother.  I use to knead only 3 cups of flour and is the KA Commercial mixer.

The results are very different, the texture is softer and much better, the flavor is the same.

I bought it at amazon.com for about $6.00 good enough to play.

The impression I got from your answer is that the spiral hook's only advantage is time -- i.e., the dough tastes and feels the same, but you can make it faster.

pizzapan