Author Topic: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One  (Read 236646 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One
« Reply #660 on: April 03, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
There is perhaps no one more anal than I when it comes to seeking perfection in the numbers, even when I know that it may be a fool's errand.
Peter
Is it wrong of me to go off topic, take a moment to savor the humor, and suggest using this as a signature of future posts? >:D
Dave

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #661 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
Is it wrong of me to go off topic, take a moment to savor the humor, and suggest using this as a signature of future posts? >:D
Dave

Dave,

LOL. Maybe this would be a better choice for a new signature for me to aspire to:

Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.
-- John A. Morrison

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #662 on: April 03, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
Today, I finally got a chance to eat a Round Table Pizza.  I drove over to the Tri Cities in Washington State to visit family and to eat at new pizza joint there, and on my way out of town, I stopped at the RT in Kennewick.  I ordered a small anchovy pizza (I got to hear the employees fight about who had to put the anchovies on).  Anyway, they docked the dough before assembling, placed on some kind of screen and ran it through the conveyor.  The flavors of the toppings were just fine.  The crust left alot to be desired.  In fairness, this is just one pizza, but if this is representative of what they put out...I'd say it's mediocre at best.  You can see for yourself, there is very little oven spring action in the cross section and the bottom is very light in comparison to the darkness of the top.  There is no crispness at all....but then again I don't know if it's designed that way.

I have to wonder and maybe this is way off base.....alot of pizzas are baked in conveyor ovens now days.  This takes alot of pressure off having to have great oven tenders.  Could it be that not all types of pizzas are baked up best in conveyors.  I know the texture of the RT clones I have baked on my decks or even at home are hands down way better than what I had today.  Any thoughts.

I don't want to leave the impression that this pizza was bad...it wasn't...but it was far from memorable, and at this stage of my life, I'll save my calories for the great stuff!!

John

John that pizza looks like old or over worked/floured dough.
But the crumb pic looks like the result of lecithin.

The last RT Pan Pizza I had, about year ago, I notice it had the texture and tasted like it had a dough improver and/or something sweet. I now recognize it to be the distinct flavor of soy lecithin.

But I didn't notice it in the Original Thin Crust though. Hmmm... to bad :(
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #663 on: April 03, 2014, 01:55:43 PM »
Come to my pad, I'll make a Round Table Pizza for ya  :-D .  My wife is a high school teacher here in NH and I occasionally will make pizza and take it in for her kids.  She has a kid in there now from CA and last pizza day he spontaneously said, "This pizza tastes just like Round Table!"  My work here is done :-).

Congrats  :chef:
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #664 on: April 03, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
John, not that you had prior reference, but welcome to the disappointed RT pizza club. I have yet to have a pie from this franchise taste like it used to before the trans fats were taken out of baked goods in California. They reformulated and it just isn't the same. The pizza is lifeless, breaddy, soggy and in some places way too spicy to make up for lack of crust flavor. There used to be a great aroma from just the crust itself. Your pictures are downright shameful looking. Too much top heat. Call it corporate greed.   :(

I'd take your pizzas over RT any day of the week.

Not the best example of RT on a good day, but see how yours compares to post #57 & 58. I think page 3 of this thread.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:12:28 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #665 on: April 03, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »
John, not that you had prior reference, but welcome to the disappointed RT pizza club. I have yet to have a pie from this franchise taste like it used to before the trans fats were taken out of baked goods in California. They reformulated and it just isn't the same. The pizza is lifeless, breaddy, soggy and in some places way too spicy to make up for lack of crust flavor. There used to be a great aroma from just the crust itself. Your pictures are downright shameful looking. Too much top heat. Call it corporate greed.   :(

I'd take your pizzas over RT any day of the week.

Not the best example of RT on a good day, but see how yours compares to post #57 & 58. I think page 3 of this thread.

Even though the crust I had was far from a good laminated cracker crust, I still would like to know more about conveyor ovens in regards to this type of pizza.  To think that one trains a person to put in a pizza on one end and that it is automatically done when it comes out the other boggles my mind.  Especially when you consider that a customer can order extra toppings or light toppings for that matter.  In contrast, every pizza is baked individually in a deck oven.  I don't know...I just need more info.  To further complicate the mess, these skins are very hard to make to perform consistently, day in day out, flour changes, weather changes, aging issues.  Anyway, this is still fun stuff.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #666 on: April 03, 2014, 10:59:27 PM »
Come to my pad, I'll make a Round Table Pizza for ya  :-D.  My wife is a high school teacher here in NH and I occasionally will make pizza and take it in for her kids.  She has a kid in there now from CA and last pizza day he spontaneously said, "This pizza tastes just like Round Table!"  My work here is done :-).
Well, I'm looking for a reason to come to Vermont...pizza is as good a reason as any, so don't count me out!!!  and thanks
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #667 on: April 03, 2014, 11:02:03 PM »

John that pizza looks like old or over worked/floured dough.
But the crumb pic looks like the result of lecithin.

The last RT Pan Pizza I had, about year ago, I notice it had the texture and tasted like it had a dough improver and/or something sweet. I now recognize it to be the distinct flavor of soy lecithin.

But I didn't notice it in the Original Thin Crust though. Hmmm... to bad :(
Well, you're a much better investigator than me...I'm just an experimenter........but, you can make great pizza at home Lydia...I'm just saying, maybe it's not the RT you remember, but it's good eats.

John

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #668 on: April 04, 2014, 01:06:30 AM »
Even though the crust I had was far from a good laminated cracker crust, I still would like to know more about conveyor ovens in regards to this type of pizza.  To think that one trains a person to put in a pizza on one end and that it is automatically done when it comes out the other boggles my mind.  Especially when you consider that a customer can order extra toppings or light toppings for that matter.  In contrast, every pizza is baked individually in a deck oven.  I don't know...I just need more info.  To further complicate the mess, these skins are very hard to make to perform consistently, day in day out, flour changes, weather changes, aging issues.  Anyway, this is still fun stuff.

John

I live in California and can get Round Table all the time but don't because the consistency sucks. You had a pretty bad example but I would say I get one like that one in five times when I go. This forum is great though and you already make some of the best looking pizzas in that style so I would be proud.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #669 on: April 04, 2014, 02:02:47 AM »
You're dead on about the conveyor John. If I loaded up more toppings on it, I had to "push it back" so it would stay in there longer. Cheese pizzas went really fast and I had to use a peel to pull them out. There's two approaches to manage this. I have seen conveyors that have split feeds and you can actually run them at different speeds. Small pizzas, just cheese, garlic breads, etc. all get the fast speed while the combo goes on the slow side. Another approach which is what I typically see at RT is they run the oven on the hot side for the heavy loaded pizzas. If they are placing a "cheese only" pizza, an attempt is made to start it further in the oven so it's gets less heat exposure. Then on the back end you paddle the pie out early. This is why your cheese and anchovy had overcooked cheese. Rookie cooks didn't yank it out soon enough.

It's interesting, because I recently switched from a conveyor to a deck. What I have observed is the deck gives a superior bottom crunch (The pizza will even stay crispy after sitting in a serving tray.) However the conveyor seemed to make a more "puffy" crust. Or at least it had a wider margin of error to produce a puffy crust with a wider range of doughs. I'm using a very heavy steel oven with a 3/4 inch corderite stone. I also use the convection fan while cooking. Although probably close, I don't know if this is 100% as much heat transfer/intensity as I would get in a commercial deck oven from the top. Still working on it, but I think I need to reformulate my recipe because I have noticed a huge difference in hydration between beer vs. water.  I suspect it's the solid content of using beer.

I also tried making "deliberate scraps" and sheeting 50/50 with fresh dough as seen in the video you posted a few pages back. I didn't see any real appreciable difference in flavor or performance in my pies. I am still on the hunt for that elusive yeast and THATSMELL* Beer still gives me the best tasting crust over any yeast culturing methods I have tried over the years.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:46:33 AM by DNA Dan »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #670 on: April 04, 2014, 03:02:53 PM »
John, not that you had prior reference, but welcome to the disappointed RT pizza club. I have yet to have a pie from this franchise taste like it used to before the trans fats were taken out of baked goods in California. They reformulated and it just isn't the same. The pizza is lifeless, breaddy, soggy and in some places way too spicy to make up for lack of crust flavor. There used to be a great aroma from just the crust itself.

I completely agree with this.  The last time I had an RT pizza was 2 years ago.  The manager at that RT (Gridley, CA) told me they had just reformulated the dough at that time due to the California law that called for removal of trans fats.  The manager of the Shakey's in Oroville, CA told me the same thing a few days later.  I did notice a difference in the flavor of that crust on that visit.  Not a huge difference, but noticeable nonetheless.  I asked the RT manager if HE noticed any difference.  He said, "Yes, the dough rises a lot higher and faster now.  We have to watch it more closely and punch it down more."  Nice, but I prefer the old crust.

-ME
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:04:29 PM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #671 on: April 04, 2014, 11:22:53 PM »
I live in California and can get Round Table all the time but don't because the consistency sucks. You had a pretty bad example but I would say I get one like that one in five times when I go. This forum is great though and you already make some of the best looking pizzas in that style so I would be proud.
Thanks for that.  I've got a niece and nephew (who grew up in my family's restaurant) who both live in the Tri Cities area.  I questioned them about RT and neither had much good to say about it.  It was funny, I thought the RT pie would be the best pizza I ate that day, but it just didn't work out.....maybe it was just a bad day.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #672 on: April 04, 2014, 11:34:01 PM »

It's interesting, because I recently switched from a conveyor to a deck. What I have observed is the deck gives a superior bottom crunch (The pizza will even stay crispy after sitting in a serving tray.) However the conveyor seemed to make a more "puffy" crust. Or at least it had a wider margin of error to produce a puffy crust with a wider range of doughs. I'm using a very heavy steel oven with a 3/4 inch corderite stone. I also use the convection fan while cooking. Although probably close, I don't know if this is 100% as much heat transfer/intensity as I would get in a commercial deck oven from the top. Still working on it, but I think I need to reformulate my recipe because I have noticed a huge difference in hydration between beer vs. water.  I suspect it's the solid content of using beer.

I also tried making "deliberate scraps" and sheeting 50/50 with fresh dough as seen in the video you posted a few pages back. I didn't see any real appreciable difference in flavor or performance in my pies. I am still on the hunt for that elusive yeast and THATSMELL* Beer still gives me the best tasting crust over any yeast culturing methods I have tried over the years.

You would think that a pizza baked right on the deck would give you much better oven spring than one on a screen or in a pan, wouldn't you.  It's certainly the truth when baking bread. 

I wouldn't expect one to see appreciable difference in flavor or performance when using scraps....that's why we do it...I know of course that RT scraps are a day older, but that's a pretty thin crust.

John

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #673 on: April 05, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
You would think that a pizza baked right on the deck would give you much better oven spring than one on a screen or in a pan, wouldn't you.  It's certainly the truth when baking bread. 

Oven spring is similar, it just seemed like the conveyor gave more uniform results with a wider range of dough formulations. On the deck it's been hit or miss.  Like I said, I am still experimenting with different formulations so I'm sort of all over the place. I can say I don't think my home oven generates enough top heat intensity, because the pies puff out starting at the rim then move towards the center when cooked on the deck. Sometime the center is sort of flat with just the rim puffed up. Do you see this when using your commercial oven? or do your pies puff up evenly? This was one advantage of the conveyor, you could adjust the top heat and the elements covered the full width of the pie, center and all.

Offline Dr. Sandman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #674 on: April 30, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
I made that recipe on page 6, hoping to would be like Pizza King.  It is nothing like Pizza King.  I would classify it as a Cracker-style crust.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #675 on: April 30, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Is the Pizza King you're trying to make anything like Cassano's?

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #676 on: May 02, 2014, 11:14:06 AM »
Oven spring is similar, it just seemed like the conveyor gave more uniform results with a wider range of dough formulations. On the deck it's been hit or miss. 

I suspect that is one big reason pizza companies have gone to using conveyor ovens: consistency in results.  It is the mantra of fast-food franchises to be consistent, each and every time and from each and every location, so the customer knows what to expect and get.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Shaklee3

« Reply #677 on: May 05, 2014, 12:22:42 AM »
Wow! I was really surprised to see this thread after so many years of looking at it on and off. The last time I tried some recipes was I think Lydia's Masa flour twist on it in 2011. I just got caught up on the last couple of pages, and let me throw in the opinion that the RT picture with the anchovies is definitely not representative of their pizza. In fact, I would say that a true round table pizza absolutely needs to be ordered with a "pan" style crust. It is the thickest crust and is a night and day difference with their regular crust. I think it's also somewhat harder for the cooks to get right since we've had many bad pizzas there, but when you have a good one, there is no other chain that can beat it (IMO). I'm not completely convinced the trans-fat is the cause of the problem; I tend to think it's the people cooking it not knowing what they're doing. I had a pizza a couple of weeks ago at the Oceanside location, and it was how I remember it from the early 90s. I would say they definitely miss more than hit nowadays, but don't give up on it until you've tried a good one. I've attached a picture of their pan crust I had that would make anyone want to spend countless hours trying to clone it.

However, I still have not found anything close to tasting like their pan crust, nor have I found a sauce recipe that has the spiciness or tang theirs does. I wish you guys the best of luck on this, and hopefully you make some good progress. I'll try to jump in and experiment once in a while, but I spent a lot of time on it in the past with very little progress.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #678 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:10 AM »
Shaklee

That pic has got to be one of the best examples of an RT pan/thick crust pizza I've seen.  :drool:

Thanks for posting.

I'm trying to see the side view of the puffed edge and it does appear to be the "new transfat free formula" but somehow it looks perfect 80's vintage.  ???

For the Pan Crust, I did work out some bake times with dough/cheese weights, using the cheater dough. I haven't posted them. But if you'd like them, I will.

I haven't gotten results like you pic, but it does turn out like "typical" RT pan pizza.

Offline tulipsar3better

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #679 on: August 14, 2014, 09:14:05 AM »

Try the round table in Orange CA. To die for. Always consistent. Always AMAZING! The only downside is the price. For my Xmas gift I had my husband get us 3 XL "supreme" pizzas. It was $115 before the coupon! Thank god we had 50% off coupon. Jeez!

pizzapan