Author Topic: Pizza Hut RGM willing to answer questions  (Read 18984 times)

Offline stonetree

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Hut RGM willing to answer questions
« on: November 01, 2006, 06:56:09 AM »
Hi all!  I'm a new member to the site -- but I'm also a manager of a US Pizza Hut store.  I will be more than willing to answer any technical (or other) questions that you guys might have!

Good luck in your pizza making endeavors!

:)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Hut RGM willing to answer questions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »
stonetree,

Welcome to the forum. It is always nice to have someone in the business participate in the forum.

Can you tell us how close the following dough recipes come to the dough recipes used for making the PH pan pizza?:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/panpizza.php, and http://www.pmq.com/recipe/view_recipe.php?id=50.

The second recipe is the one that Tom Lehmann, a dough/pizza expert at the American Institute of Baking, recommends to people who ask him for a PH-style dough recipe (for pan pizza). Tom also recommends that one use about 1 ounce of peanut oil in a 12-inch deep dish pan to get the desired fried characteristic.

Iím sure that many of our members would love to see the PH Priazzo pizza come back, although no one is holding their breath. Do you have any old Priazzo dough recipes hanging around by any chance?

Peter

EDIT (3/10/13): The corrected link for the deep dish recipe is http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/Deep-Dish-Pizza/record/57725/.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:30:51 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 10:31:05 AM »
Stonetree,

What brand of cheese does PH use, and what combinations and amounts do they use on the different types and sizes of pizza?

MWTC  :chef:

Offline MWTC

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:33:52 AM »
Stonetree,

Tell us all about the sauces.

Thanks ST  ;D

MWTC

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 12:06:07 PM »
priazzo, priazzo, holding.........breath...........

Offline stonetree

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 05:38:18 AM »
Wow...I didn't think that I would get such an overwhelming response within such a short time frame.

Well, I'll start with Pete-zza first.

If there is one truth in this industry and that is to make sure everything is idiot-proof -- especially in the big name "quick" serve type places.

Unfortunately, as the years have gone by, they've taken more and more out of the hands of the common crew member.  It makes it easier for managers to ensure a more uniform, "perfect" product company-wide.  As such, the Pan dough comes to us pre-mixed (just add water and mix.)  But, what I lack in knowledge of a precise composition of ingredients, I have two-fold in the expected appearance of the product.  Those two recipes LOOK almost perfect!  Especially the one made by the amateur.  And if it tastes as good, if not better then, you know...(looks like a duck, walks like a duck...)  I can tell you a few things on the actual mixing of your dough though. 

In  nutshell, the more you mix the dough, harder it is to work with.  Also, the water temperature makes a huge difference for the yeast  (Baking 101)
The Standards followed by every Pizza Hut (to my knowledge) is that the water is 95 deg F (give or take 5 degrees).  Also, the dough is mixed at speed 1 for 13 minutes.

After mixing, Remove your wad of dough from the bowl and set it on a cutting board (lightly spray with a food release, like Pam, first...keep the food release around, you'll need it.)  Cover with a lightly sprayed plastic bag (or cloth) for about 5-7 minutes.

Here are the WEIGHTS of the various sizes:
Large Pan (14")  22 oz.
Medium Pan (12")  16 oz.  (Same weight for Breadsticks as well...will discuss later)

Portion your dough, keeping both the large wad of dough and your newly formed dough balls covered (this prevents it from becoming dry and crusty...not very appealing to the eye.

After portioning, cover your dough balls, and have a glass of wine...or a smoke...or call your mom (let them rest for about 10 minutes.)

Oil your required pans.  Pizza Hut uses 9 oz of vegetable oil for large and 6 oz for medium.

If you have access for a horizontal dough roller, it would make your life simpler.  If not, have fun with the rolling pin.

Desired thickness of dough patty is about 1/2" - 3/4" thick.  Try to get it into a circular shape, if possible.

Put your patty in the oiled pan.  Spray the outer 1" of the crust with Food Release once.  This helps to: a.) allow the dough to rise uniformly and b.) give it a nicer appearance after baking.

Cover your pan and proof the dough for about an hour in a proofer set at 110 deg F (or until the dough fills the pan entirely (no gaps between dough and edge of pan) and the dough is about 3/8" from the top of the pan. Covering the pan with a cookie sheet or a plate (something solid, flat, and non porous.)  You can stack them to save space (if you are making multiple pies (no more than 7 high though.)  How ever you do it, place an empty pan on top of the proofing dough, it allows the dough to proof more uniformly.

For the novices, proofing is the stage when you let the Yeast work its magic and expand the dough.

After proofing, retard the dough in the fridge for at least an hour (it makes it MUCH easier to work with!!!)

Retard = Stop the yeast from preforming it's magic.  Unless you are using it immediately, if you leave the dough on the counter, the yeast will keep expanding the dough, rendering it nearly impossible to handle, over-proofed, and (eventually) reeking of alcohol.  Not yummy!

That is Pan Pizza dough.  Now just top, bake, and enjoy!

If you'd like any information on how we top the pizzas, just ask.

On a side note, it is becoming more and more common for restaurants to use commisary (frozen) dough.  It makes it MUCH easier and more fool-proof this way, but it does take the messy fun out of it though....

Offline stonetree

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 05:59:44 AM »
As for MWTC's questions:

I do not know the manufacturer(s) of our cheese.  We use SO MUCH, I doubt that there is only one supplier to be honest.  I DO know that it is 100 % mozz cheese. 

The sauce, like the dough, arrives at the store in concentrate form.  We simply add water, mix, and use.

I know little about the composition of the two sauces that we use on pizza.

Pizza Sauce is very stout.  It has a strong spice background to it (but isn't very spicy.) It's hardly sweet at all.

Sweet Sauce (which is used on the Stuffed Crust Pizza) is much milder, but also much sweeter.  This sauce is also used on the Spaghetti Bakes.

The sauce that comes with breadsticks is simply watered down sweet sauce.  This sauce is also used in the cavatini served on the buffet.

If it helps at all with trying to duplicate the sweet sauce, I find myself putting breadstick sauce on some spaghetti noodles for lunch sometimes.  I swear to you that it taste a lot like Spaghetti-o's, not quite.....but close.

That's the sauce.

Side note, the Sicilian Lasagna Pizza that was out for a while during the summer/fall of 2006, had its own sauce (entitled: Hearty Marinara Sauce).  No clue what is in it, but it tasted a lot like a combination of the two normal sauces....but a little different.  It was a bit thicker though.   In case you were wondering.

Back to the Cheese and the amounts used. (and, the one criticism of the amateur's pizza that I had.)

All amounts here are approximated, since we portion with cups reflecting the size of the intended pie, not a numeric measurement.
Using a dry measure cup.
Medium (total):  2 cups (3 cups if a cheese pizza)
Large (total):  3 cups (4.5 cups if a cheese pizza)

If you are making a pepperoni and cheese or a ham and cheese pizza, put all of the cheese on top of the sauce, with the slices of meat being the last thing applied.  If you add anything to it, like sausage or olives or onions...etc.) put half of the cheese down, then the ingredients, the top it with the other half of the cheese.  You'll find that it looks more appetizing and that the ingredients stay where they belong when you cut it.  :)

Anything else, just ask!

Offline stonetree

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 06:06:51 AM »
About the Priazzo pizza:

I have honestly never heard of it.  (I am only 26.)  But, from the posts that I've read regarding it, it sounds both really good and really expensive...the latter being why you'll probably never see it again.  But, i will, as time allows, ask around and also dig around the store in the filing cabinets and attic and so forth to see if I can uncover anything for you folks.

About breadsticks:

Take a medium dough patty, roll it out in an oval, and put it into a 9"x12" pan (with 4 oz of oil)  Spray the entire surface with food release. Cook like normal.
(Until golden brown and delicious!)  This will yield 2 orders of breadsticks (10 sticks.)  Want cheesesticks?  Add 2 cups of cheese before baking.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 10:16:53 AM »
Stonetree,

What is food release and any idea where we can get it?

I remember years ago the bottom of the crust was flavored it was delicious but they changed it to a non flavorful taste any ideas what they used to use to give it that buttery delicious taste?

How much oil on a 10 inch pan pizza?

Thanks for the willingness to help us here.  :D

MWTC  :chef:

Offline chiguy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »
 MWTC, I believe Stonetree explained it that the food release is PAM or a nonstick cooking spray. I use canola oil spray from time to time to lightly coat a dough. 
                                                                                     Chiguy

Offline MWTC

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 11:48:17 AM »
Thanks Chiguy missed that one.   ::)

MWTC

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 06:33:14 PM »
Oil your required pans.† Pizza Hut uses 9 oz of vegetable oil for large and 6 oz for medium.

Wow, that's a lot of oil.

Jack

Offline husker3in4

• Crazy for Pizza
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 11:29:50 PM »
I worked for Pizza Hut years ago and used to open the store every morning and make the dough. What stonetree is saying sounds right as far as my memory goes. Although, I dont ever remember rolling out any of the pan dough. Just cut, weigh and put in the oiled pans.

One beef I have with pizza hut, the supreme pizzas were MUCH better when all the ingredients were diced (onions, peppers etc). Nowadays all the toppings are big honking sized peices. When they were diced you could get the flavor of all the toppings, now you just have a big onion or pepper hanging out of your mouth!

And the last poster is right, it IS alot of oil. If I remember correctly, 2 full squirts of the oil for a medium, 3 full squirts of oil for the larges. And those are the industrial sized bottles of oil!

One question, what temperature is the oven running at? and how long does the pizza take to go thru?

Offline stonetree

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 06:50:55 AM »
It is a good bit of oil.  (and yes, it is 2 pump for medium and 3 for large...lol)
But the oil serves two purposes.
1.  It keeps the pie from sticking in the pan......always important!
2.  It serves to "fry" the exterior of the crust, rendering it crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.

As far as the oven goes, the temperature and belt speed (baking time) varies by the oven brand and elevation.  The two most common brands are Middleby Marshall and Blodgett.  My store uses a Middleby Marshall working at 425 deg F and a 8:40 belt speed.  But none of this means anything if you are using a standard kitchen oven.  These ovens cook from both top and bottom (Like regular oven with broiler going at the same time.)  Also, it also has a convection feature to it (Hot air circulating throughout which speeds up the cooking process.) 

As far as Husker's post, years back, the company realized that the average customer likes the big chunky slices of peppers and onions better than small diced pieces.  Personally, I think that the pizzas looks more appealing with the modern slices.  The dices look more like a frozen microwave pizza...lol  At least, that's my opinion.  :-)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 07:32:49 AM »
stonetree,

One of our members recently asked at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4078.msg34058.html#msg34058 where he can get a PH pan pizza pan cheaply. Can you offer him some guidance? Also, what depth are such PH pans?

Peter

Offline Kjeil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 06:57:29 PM »
Hi, I hope your still keeping an eye on this thread.  I have some questions about operations if you don't mind.

My local Pizza Hut recently switched over to a centralized call center.  Do you know how they assign orders?  Is it just based on a defined delivery area or do they shift orders around?

Also how do drivers get assigned deliveries?  Does the manager or somebody else route them or do they pick themselves?

Thanks.

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »
Good Lord,

9 oz of oil, on top of the calories of the actual pizza. Maybe thats why I feel like garbage after eating some PH pan pizza.  Can you imagine drinking that.  Pete-zza, can't you mirror that same fried exterior using 1 or 2 oz of a heathier oil?  Adam
Adam

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 11:32:44 AM »
Adam,

I don't know how much healthier using peanut oil is but to get that "fried" effect Tom Lehmann recommends 1 oz. peanut oil for a 12" pan, at http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi?noframes;read=29624. I plan to try rice bran oil when I next make a pizza baked in a pan. It's healthy and also inexpensive.

Peter

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 11:41:12 AM »
Thank you Peter,

I'll save the remaining 8 oz for frying my chicken legs.  Adam
Adam

Offline jbpizza

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 06:28:07 PM »
My husband use to work at Pizza Hut few years back. He doesn't recall that much oil being used on the pans. He said that they would squirt just enough of non-stick to cover the pan. He also mentioned that on the cheese pizzas, they would use garlic spray. I almost bought a can of garlic oil spray but bulked at the price. Maybe, one day, I'll find a reasonable can of garlic oil spray. I'll let you guys know the difference. I'm sure it must be delicious addition.  :pizza:

pizzapan