Author Topic: Firm but non-chunky sauce for deep dish/stuffed  (Read 1642 times)

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
Firm but non-chunky sauce for deep dish/stuffed
« on: May 29, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »
I am not a big fan of the texture of pieces of tomato on pizza...I am much more partial to a good "sauce". This makes it difficult for deep dish or stuffed crust pizzas because they tend to get too runny.

Anyone have ideas/suggestions/tried-and-true recipes fo a good firm sauce that will be good to us for my next attempt?

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Re: Firm but non-chunky sauce for deep dish/stuffed
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »
Hmmmm. The only thing I can suggest for thickness/firmness is to use puree with some tomato paste added to your taste. Or cook the sauce you usually use down to a thicker consistency.That's what I do. You'll be safe, because unlike thin crust on a stone, the stuffed won't draw moisture out to make it TOO thick. ;D

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
Re: Firm but non-chunky sauce for deep dish/stuffed
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 11:40:01 AM »
Hey RS
I am just getting started on deep dishes myself and it seems many who use an uncooked sauce drain the tomatoes first to firm them up. 
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5627.0.html
If starting with crushed, texture could be further reduced with a blender.  If starting with a sauce or puree I imagine a finer mesh or adding a layer or two of cheesecloth might do the trick if necessary.

pizzapan