Author Topic: Giordano's style recipe  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Giordano's style recipe
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:09:24 AM »
I received the following e-mail from a visitor to this website, he's not a member of the forum and asked that I post his message here.

My name is Kevin. I love making Pizzas. It is a fabulous hobby and I have used your website for extensive research and recipes.

While I've only been to the Windy City once, my girlfriend is from the Midwest, and one time she brought home a magnificent pizza from Pizzeria Uno.  I have always loved deep dishes.

Back in 2003 I was able to sample Giardano's on Wabash. It was delectable, but before the time I really got into deep dishes.
After some experimenting, I have come up with a recipe that is simply spectacular for that biscuit-flavored crust, with delectable sauces and cheeses.  I would love to contribute this recipe, plus a donation, for the website.

DOUGH RECIPE INGREDIENTS:

I have modified the ingredients from combinations of recipes I have seen for Deep Dishes.  Since they were done in Baker's formulas, I do not know what the equivalent would be except for flour.

I think it is important to note the type of flour.  Many of the biscuit-style crusts require all purpose, NOT high gluten, for the buttery taste.

434 g All Purpose Flour (3 cups)  100%
6.5 g salt          (1.5%)
6.5g sugar       (1.5%)
4g active-dry yeast (about 1%)
34 g olive oil (8%)
17g unsalted butter (4%)
217 g water (50%)

FOR SINGLE SERVING PIZZA - 15x2 ALUMINUM PAN

1.   Place flour in the mixer.
2.   In a separate bowl, combine water (70 degrees Fahrenheit, yes I
know I'm changing systems here), salt, sugar, olive oil, and melted
butter.   Wait approximately 5 minutes.
3.   Using a dough hook, beat the dough for about 5 minutes.  The dough
should be scrappy and may possible have extra flour visible.  Do NOT overbeat the dough.
4.   Place the dough in a bag, fold it over to allow the gas to escape,
and refrigerate it for at least six hours (I usually do overnight - 24 hours).
5.   Allow the dough to rise to room temperature.
6.   Cover the CLEAN Aluminum pan (use a paper towel!) with Vegetable
Oil.  Use enough that all sides are covered with a bit leftover - between 1/4 cup to 1/2 or so.  (I usually just eyeball it).  Some people put a layer of cornmeal on the bottom - I haven't, but haven't tried it as well.
7.   Cover the dough with a damp cloth for about another hour or so. 
Oh, the waiting!
8.   Pull the dough over the sides and cut the excess off neatly with a
rolling pin.  Indent with your fingers as if it were a pie crust.
9.   Cheeses - From my research, true Chicago style pizza uses slices of
part-skim Mozzarella, however, I frequently use shredded.  I usually use between 12 - 16 ounces of cheese.  It is possible to intermix domestic provlone, mild cheddar, and/or sharp cheddar (I like Cooper Sharp) as well.  Pizzeria Uno, from what I gather, uses mozzerella, but I may be wrong.  I usually use a mix of 2/3 mozzarella and 1/3 provolone, although I have dabbled with all four.
10.   The sauce!  I use about three cans (42 oz total) of PEELED
tomatoes.  I take each tomato, cut and drain, and place in a bowl. 
Excess water is bad!! Collect the water for later.  I usually add about a tablespoon of oregano, basil, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, a tablespoon of Italian Seasonings, and about two tablespoons or so of Parmesean Cheese.  Also - suprise suprise - I throw a few baby carrots in the mix.  I like to take the excess tomato juice - just a little - and put this in.  It makes the sauce subtly sweeter.  This cannot be overdone,
as excess liquid is bad.   I top the pie with a drizzle of olive oil
and/or any toppings necessary.
11.   Into a 450 degree oven it goes - for about 30 minutes.

It is truly delicious.  Yes, it is a little more time-intensive than other pizzas, but MAN is it worth it.

Once again, love the sight. Hope someone can enjoy this recipe.

- Kevin
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.