Author Topic: Possibly my prettiest...with pics!  (Read 29846 times)

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Possibly my prettiest...with pics!
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:39:53 PM »
I've been making deep dish pizza for a long time, but with the help of many of you around here the pizzas I've made over the last year have been very good.  These are some pics from a half sausage/half sausage and pepperoni I made last night.  I've started putting the sausage on top of the sauce as it's easier to sauce the pie right on top of the smooth cheese surface versus the rough terrain of the chunk sausage.  I don't mind the sausage browning a little bit.  Also, I microwave my pepperoni for about 30 secs. to get some of the oil out of it then I try to stand the pepperoni up to get the tips up to get the pepperoni nice and crispy.  Any questions...just ask.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:30:43 PM by loowaters »
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
Re: Possibly my prettiest...with pics!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 03:59:55 PM »
Wow. What a pizza!  :)
To me that one looks a lot better than what comes out of most deep dish restaurants! Well done!  :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:46:08 PM »
loowaters,

I agree. It's beautiful.

Can you tell us which recipe you used, and what size pan?

Peter

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:55:33 PM »
Now that's a pie  :chef:

my question would be how do you make your sauce.

The pie looks so good I'm sure this will be a very active tread

Nice photo's as well !!

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:24:34 PM »
Unless he's using a pan with side walls taller than 2" and an irregularly large free-standing oven, I'd say he's using a 14" x 2" deep dish pan.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 05:29:25 PM »
Very nice!

I'm also very interested in the recipe.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline loowaters

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 05:55:45 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

To answer the questions, pan size is 14" x 2".  The pan is an American Metalcraft hardcoat anodized.  The oven is a standard electric oven.  I cook the pizza on my stone on the bottom rack of the oven.  I heat the oven as hot as mine will go (550*) for an hour but drop the temp to 475* just before the pie goes in.  I posted my recipe some time ago and it didn't seem to get any interest...maybe I should've posted pics with it then.  It's here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3115.0.html and the only changes from that post are that I am using corn oil now instead of vegetable oil and I'm using regular olive oil instead of extra virgin.  I also pat the dough out in the pan without any kneading after the thaw from the fridge.  I received a "Lou to Go" catalog from Malnati's the other day and noticed how thin the side walls of the crust were so when I patted out the crust I pinched up less than normal for the walls.  It worked.

The sauce is 6 in 1 Ground with some Red Gold whole tomatoes that I crushed by hand and drained myself for a little extra chunkiness.  I leave those hand crushed pieced pretty large, about half dollar size.  I use one 28 oz. can of 6 in 1's without draining and crush one 28 oz. whole tomato can dumping all the juice and draining them the best I can.  I combine those two together and pour them into some sauteed garlic.  I make a paste with two cloves of garlic using the side of a kitchen knife and about 1/2 t. kosher salt as an abrasive.  I sautee that in some extra virgin OO, about 1/2 T.  In goes the tomatoes,  about 1/2 t. basil, 1/4 t pepper.  Sometimes I'll add more salt but the salt that I use to smash and smear the garlic is usually enough.  That's enough sauce for two 14" pizzas.  I've found less is more when it comes to sauce, I don't want soup!

Loo

OK, everything from here down is the edit to the original post.

Here's the baker's formula for the dough and yes it does differ slightly from the referenced recipe above:

100% All Purp Flour
45% Water
15% Corn Oil
8% Olive Oil
.75% ADY

My 14" dough ball weighs 746g (442g flour) with a thickness factor of .126
I use King Arthur AP flour
I grease the pan (bottom only...not the sides, it seems to cause the dough to slide) with Crisco shortening.
A 14" gets exactly 1 lb. sliced mozz
I use Johnsonville Sweet Italian sausage.

I combine the yeast with 110* water in the mixer but for some reason I feel I need to cheat and give the yeast a tiny pinch of sugar to get it jump started.  I know I probably don't need it.  After the yeast is fully dissolved I start adding the flour to my Kitchen Aid mixer until it starts getting pretty stiff then I start adding the oil and the rest of the flour.  Once it's all combined I turn the mixer up to a mid speed (4-5) and let it knead for 45-60 seconds.  I pull the dough out of the mixer bowl to add some oil to wipe around in the bowl for the rise.  Back in goes the dough, swirl it around to coat with the little bit of oil and cover with a tea towel.  In the oven it goes with the light on and a pan of hot water on the rack underneath it.  I punch it down after two hours and let it come back up again for another hour or two (until doubled again).  Then it goes into a ziplock bag in to the fridge overnight.  Pull it out about an hour and a half before I want to make the pie.  I slide it out of the bag and straight to the greased pan patting it out on the bottom as evenly as possible and then go around pinching it up the sides.  That's it.  Cheese it.  Sauce it.  Top it.  Good luck guys.

Loo
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:25:32 PM by loowaters »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 06:33:24 PM »
Loo,

Did you miss the salt?

Peter
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:35:11 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline loowaters

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 06:48:32 PM »
Good question about the salt.  I didn't forget it at all.  I based this recipe on Malnati's crust.  Their ingredients are listed on the lid to their mail order pizzas and if you look closely at the lid in this post http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,571.0.html you'll see that they don't include salt in their list of ingredients.  I know it goes against conventional wisdom but I took a chance on my adaptation of that recipe and it's working for us.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 06:59:12 PM »
Lou,

What I should have said is whether you missed not having salt in the crust, from a taste standpoint, that is? I remember putting my Microsoft magnifier to the label and confirming that the dough contained no salt, and that has been a topic of discussion on the forum on more than one occasion, possibly before you became a member. But your answer is a good reminder that the dough doesn't include salt.

Can you tell me how far up the sides of the pan you pushed the dough?

Thanks.

Peter

Offline loowaters

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 07:05:11 PM »
From a taste standpoint, I guess I don't miss the salt because it's matching what I was looking for so well.  Whether that's an actual palate realization or a psychological effect of following directions...I don't know.

I pushed the sides up about 1 1/2"...just short of the 2" height of the pan.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 07:13:20 PM »
Loo,

After I posted my last question, I plugged all of your numbers into my deep-dish spreadsheet, including a dough depth of 1 1/2", and got the identical numbers you posted for total dough weight and flour weight. That's a little bit scary.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 07:16:38 PM »
Loo,

It looks like you did a very impressive job on constructing a Malnati's style crust.

Malnati's is the thinnest of the deep dish pizza's and as pointed out does not contain salt.

On the salt issue I don't miss it when I leave it out, but prefer it when I add it.

I'm going to follow the basis of the recipe this weekend I think.

And yes, pictures help.

DKM

Offline loowaters

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 07:17:03 PM »
Ha!  I've got a spreadsheet that I made up using some numbers that you and foodblogger put together for the Gino's recipe.  It's fun, I can tinker with all kinds of recipes and just alter a few numbers and...voila.

This is fun, my wife is teasing me that I've been accepted by the "boys" and now maybe they'll invite me over to their house to play with their toys.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »
I commend you for being able to decipher the spreadsheet code. Now when someone asks you what ingredients and quantities they will need to make the dough for another size pizza, you will be able to tell them :chef:.

Peter

Offline loowaters

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 07:30:37 PM »
Thanks DKM.

You know, I get thinking about hydration levels in these crusts and I understand with the NY style how all that water is necessary but when it comes to Chicago Style Deep Dish that hydration level has to be lower.  First off, Malnati's crust is like a classic pie crust, very flaky.  There's so little water in pie crusts that to try to replicate that for our needs I think going over 50% is too wet.  Second, even though this is a different animal than "Chicago Style Thin" (another argument), sheeted thin crust dough is quite dry and gets even more flour when it's being sheeted.  So at the start I gotta believe that Ike Sewell made a deep dish pizza by tweaking a thin dough recipe a little.  As we say in the Scotty Cameron forums...JAT.  (Just a thought)

Offline loowaters

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 07:33:56 PM »
I commend you for being able to decipher the spreadsheet code. Now when someone asks you what ingredients and quantities they will need to make the dough for another size pizza, you will be able to tell them :chef:.

Peter

I've actually set up my spreadsheet for double batches with two different pan sizes and bulk.   :pizza:

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 08:29:53 AM »
That looks really good. Usually I'm a NY style or Neapolitan kind of pizza fanatic but I do like deep dish pizzas as well, since I absolutely love tomato sauce. Looks filling and delicious. Keep up the good work!

Offline WrongSauce

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 06:49:33 PM »
I was wondering....I keep burning my crust.  Is the gluton to non-gluton a factor?  Also when I put the crust up on the sides.....why does it keep falling??

When I crush my tomatoes, should I use a whisk or just my hand??

I am confused.

PS - Loowaters.....your pizza looks delicious.  I wish you'd invite ME over instead of Harry and Mary!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 10:03:49 AM »
I was wondering....I keep burning my crust.  Is the gluton to non-gluton a factor?

What is the temp of the oven, what type of pan are you using, and how long are you cooking it for?

Also when I put the crust up on the sides.....why does it keep falling??

It could be a few of different things, the dough has not rested enough, you are handling it two much moving it from the bowl to the pan, not enough oil in the dough.

When I crush my tomatoes, should I use a whisk or just my hand??

Hand