Author Topic: aurelio's pizza..  (Read 64074 times)

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
aurelio's pizza..
« on: November 03, 2006, 07:12:07 PM »
Growing up down the street from the original Aurelio's in Homewood, IL and now living in South Dakota, I have a heckuva taste for some thin crust greasy squared pizza from one of the best names in Chicago Pizza.  Does or has anybody figured out the recipe for their pizza.  If so, please post..

Thanks for the all great info about making a deep dish pie.  I've pretty much got the desired results from other posts on here.  Great site and forum.

If anyone has a thin crust recipe that is similar to Aurelios or others I would take that in it's place..

-Witt

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: aurelio's pizza..
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 03:09:33 PM »
Witt, I don't have their recipe, but was just there last week...what a consistent pizza. It seems that they use a puree with basil, oregano and a lot of sweetner, which I would assume to be sugar.

I get very close to it using 6-1, add the spices and about a quarter cup of sugar (seems like a lot) and simmer for about 20 minutes. But, it's very close to their taste.

They are Franchising now and starting to take off. Note: there is no Deep Dish on their menu, but I'm not going to start that arguement again as I truly belive that true Chicago pizza is not deep dish, but thin crust. Must be a South Side thing.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 10:44:13 PM »
I live in IL and the Aurelios has always been famous for their thin crust pizza. Their sauce is on the wet sweet side. On the other hand I would love to find out how to make that crust... Maybe someday when I go there I can swindle the recipie from one of the workers ;) ;D

Jeff
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 05:20:50 PM »
As mentioned already, their sauce is very sweet..and as a kid I grew up lovin it.  They’ve actually been branching out for a long time now (Arizona, Nevada, Colorado), while also having at least 15-20 stores in the Chicagoland area.  I have purchased a fair amount of 6-1 sauce online and I will try and re-create the sauce as you’ve mentioned. 

The whole Chicago style argument is over-blown.  On the south side the greasy-thin crust-squares pizza is the king by far, but in the city the Deep Dish pie is “the thing”.  The thin crust isn’t all that different from pizza found in much of the country, but the deep dish is far different than typical pizza, which is why it’s called Chicago Style.  Being the pizza idiot that I am, I appreciate both and find time for eating both and not picking sides with regard to them.

In any event, if someone cracks the code and gets the recipe..please post it here.

Thanks.

Offline Reaper

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:50:48 PM »
Witt, the food sucks outside of Chicago, living in Fla. you have to loose all culture to live here, no more Marconi's bread, Volpe Genoa salami, you have to learn Hormel, Kraft, I had to start grinding and stuffing my own sausage,

Pizza in Florida is Greek style NY pizza, soggy crust, it sucks, I haven't had a good pizza since 1985

Aurelio's or Valentino's pizza was king back then

Mitch,

Homewood Flossmoor class of '77

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:20:55 AM »
Hey Guys, check this site out. Interesting pizza tours of Chicago's Pizzarias.

http://chicagopizzaclub.blogspot.com/

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 01:43:28 PM »
I had their pie for the first time in years, just a month ago. I definitely taste some richness from a meatstock and maybe red wine?? Don't have the recipe, but the taste buds usually do okay....

Offline LabRat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 09:35:04 AM »
Reaper,

I don't know where in Florida you are, but there is an Aurelio's franchise in Naples.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 09:57:37 AM »
Anyone know what they put in their sauce? Someone said sugar and Anise?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 05:59:22 PM »
It could be carrots are added which is typical of an Italian sweetner for red sauce.  Carrots I think are only second to sugar beets in sweetness.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »
Randy, That's a good guess, but I can't see any resemblence of carrots in the sauce. It's driving me nuts.

Offline kingmjh

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 08:33:33 PM »
Would be GREAT if someone could post their recipe!! Their crust is very soft and doughy, but nice and crisp on the edges. Their cheese has a nice crusty texture on top too, but not overly so. Aurelio's is definitely under rated, since it is mostly in the suburbs, and not IN Chicago.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 02:30:10 AM »
Plus, it's on the South Side, where Food Critics don't dare to tread. Thank God.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 01:43:15 PM »
I grew up near Aurelio's (Homewood)...great pizza every time.  However, the "franchises" (even the ones in Chicago) really pale in comparison to the original in Homewood.  To get a real reading on how great that pizza is, you MUST go to Homewood, Illinois.  I think the reason for this are the proprietary protections they have in place, i.e. they provide their franchisees "sauce", and probably some pre-fab dough.  That would explain the tremendous differences.

I think anise is added to their sauce, and the crust doesn't have alot of air in it.  Seems to be fairly dense, and stiffer.  But it does a great job of handling that mass of toppings they have available.  Their cheese is some sort of blend.  I can't place it.  But it seems to have parm, mozz, and maybe asiago?  Everytime I get back to Chicago, I hit Aurelio's ( for southside thin) and Geno's East (for deep dish).

Aurelio's Homewood makes one great pizza!!
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 02:02:54 PM »
Dan,

As an Aurelio's fan, I thought you might get a kick out of a debate that ensued over Aurelio's (and some other Chicago-area pizza places) at the PMQ Think Tank, starting at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=9159#9159, where a poster, presumably to agitate other posters, stated his personal opinion on the Aurelio's pizzas.

Peter

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 02:31:26 PM »
Thanks, Peter.  Had to chuckle on that stuff.  I know that Aurelio's in Homewood had deck ovens last time I was in there., and I would assume that the franchises were probably using the conveyer type. Probably another reason to only go to the source, Homewood location.  It is undeniably better than any of its spawns.

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 06:20:48 PM »
Well, I might have fell into something here. I tried brown sugar in the sauce and the taste was fabulous.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »
Well, I might have fell into something here. I tried brown sugar in the sauce and the taste was fabulous.

How much brown sugar did you use to how much sauce???

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 11:12:12 PM »
28 oz of sauce and 2 Tbls of brown sugar. Simmered 20 minutes, along with herbs to taste. Experiment till you like it. Still a work in progress. Good luck!

Offline BTB

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
I don't know anything specific about their recipes, but let me add some things that basically go down memory lane here for me.  I lived in the Homewood-Flossmoor area (south Chicago suburbs) for over 25 years before moving elsewhere (and ending up here on the Gulfcoast of Florida).  I knew Joe Aurelio when he first started his pizzeria in a small store front on 175th Street, about two blocks away from his now famous flagship restaurant, which he built from a huge old converted warehouse alongside the Illinois Central Railroad tracks.  Before he moved to his huge warehouse restaurant, you ate your pizza on wooden picnic tables inside the original restaurant, which was a lot of fun.  And Joe personally made most of the pizzas back then himself.

Joe, of course, passed away a few years ago and his presence is really missed in the business today.  During those 25 plus years, I must have gotten pizzas from Aurelio's at least once or twice a month and always enjoyed his super pizza product.  Wherever his kids went to college, he opened a pizzeria nearby.  I remember going to the Aurelio's on Camelback Rd near Phoenix, Arizona (or was in McDonald Rd) several times when I was out there on business, and to one in Minnesota, and other locations that I can't remember right now.  Most of those are closed now (kids graduated, I guess). 

When he was at the old restaurant on 175th St., he used deck ovens only.  And when they moved to their new warehouse-size flagship restaurant, they took the old deck ovens, but added a conveyor oven also.  Most people did not like the pizzas that were baked in the conveyor oven and . . . till this day, . . . most of the old Aurelio's die-hards will order their pizzas made in the original or "old oven."  I guarantee you, go to Aurelio's in Homewood today and tell that to the waitress when you place your order and she (or he) will know exactly what you mean.  But if you do not specify, your pizza will be baked in the conveyor oven . . . that's their unspoken rule.  Pizzas at Aurelio's, though, are far, far superior when baked in the deck oven than on the conveyor oven.  Without wishing to start a debate, that's my humble opinion regarding pizzas baked at other restaurants also (and this nonsense about the most successful pizza places using conveyor ovens is . . . well just that, nonsense! . . . IMO).  Most of the franchises, unfortunately, went with conveyor ovens.  It's understandable, of course, because most of them are businessmen (or women) $$$ and not pizza aficionados. 

Regarding Aurelio's sauce . . . like I said, I had their pizzas very frequently when living close by to their home-base restaurant.  I remember that their sauce had a rich tomato flavor with Italian spices, but one of them was not anise.  Anise is one of my favorite spices, but Aurelio's did not put it on their pizzas.  Another great south suburban pizza family, Fox's (in Beverly, Oak Lawn, and Or land Park) is famous for their great thin crust pizzas which is spiced up with Anise, which gives it a very unique, unforgettable taste.  And unlike what some others had said, I do not recall Aurelio's having a very sweet sauce.  While it had a little sweet flavor to it, it was not overpowering or much at all.  I made note of that thought a few months ago when I had an Aurelio's pizza at the Naples, Florida Aurelio's restaurant (a franchise run by a family from Homewood-Flossmoor).  It was a great and flavorful sauce, somewhat sweet but not overly so.

And the cheese that they use is very unique, too.  I often got (and still do down in Naples) unbaked Aurelio's pizzas for the freezer.  While their cheese looks like just plain Mozzarella, it cooks up -- as someone above mentioned -- with a nice crusty, crispy cheese texture on top that I've never seen on other pizzas.  I often wondered if their cheese didn't have parmesan or romano blended into the mozzarella somehow, but the uncooked pizzas give no appearance of parmesan, romano, or any other grated cheese shaken over it.

All in all, Aurelio's has got to be one of the finest examples of great Chicago thin crust pizzas.