Author Topic: Can anyone improve this dough recipe?  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Signus

Can anyone improve this dough recipe?
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
The first pizza I ever tried to make used this recipe (using my own sauce)

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2012/03/05/chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza/

It did indeed turn out quite good, but I'm not sure if it was quite there yet. Are there any tips, or different techniques I can use with the dough to improve the quality? Or slight alterations to the recipe?

P.S. Where can I go to find tips for making good cheese? In my pizzas so far the cheese has been good, but not great. It's been a bit dry and overcooked, not gooey and melted when I take it out (though I make sure I take it out as early as I can!) Is this a product of the type of cheese I'm using? (more or less cheap store bought) is there anything specific I should look for when buying cheese?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Can anyone improve this dough recipe?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »
Welcome to the Chicago Style forum!  You know, if the recipe worked for you and you liked it, congrats! 

That being said, it's not something I'd ever make, as it breaks with the latest forum wisdom on good deep dish technique.  For example, it should not contain cornmeal.  Nor should it be kneaded for so long.  Etc.  If you want to try something far more authentic, try VCB's recipe.  It is awesome.  Or check out BTB's Malnati recipe on this forum.  Or just poke around some of the other threads. 

You came to the right place.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Signus

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:24:59 PM »
Thanks for the quick response! I like this recipe mainly because it seemed to capture the buttery/flakey crust real well, but I'm excited to try others!

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
I want to try the dough formula you used...looks great to me...I am back and forth with cornmeal but agree with the others VCB and BTB are a great starting point. I also agree do not knead so much 2-3 minutes should be sufficient and I am a fan of overnight in the fridge...good luck and welcome to the best site for Pizza Lovers...........hey if you liked what you made keep it up..everyone of these formulations you will read about try and match Uno's or Lou's///  I don't think anyone has done the match as yet....if they have please someone give me the 14 inch formula...

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »
Signus:

Are you using sliced cheese for deep dish or shredded?  Shredded usually has some powdery agent in it to keep it from sticking, which can hinder proper melting.  Besides, DD calls for sliced cheese.

Cornmeal has no place in pizza dough.  Corn oil, yes.  Cornmeal, no.  I mean, you can put whatever you want in dough--but that ain't authentic.

I like Cooks Illustrated for many things, but this recipe isn't one of them.  It's too fussy, has too many procedures, and is just plain goofy.  It doesn't surprise me that it makes an edible pie, but you can do a lot better and a lot easier with just about any of the recipes on this forum.

Cheers,
Garvey

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:06:23 PM »
I want to try the dough formula you used...looks great to me...I am back and forth with cornmeal but agree with the others VCB and BTB are a great starting point. I also agree do not knead so much 2-3 minutes should be sufficient and I am a fan of overnight in the fridge...good luck and welcome to the best site for Pizza Lovers...........hey if you liked what you made keep it up..everyone of these formulations you will read about try and match Uno's or Lou's///  I don't think anyone has done the match as yet....if they have please someone give me the 14 inch formula...
BTB with semolina......it is not "the match".....it is something better IMO
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
Signus:

Are you using sliced cheese for deep dish or shredded?  Shredded usually has some powdery agent in it to keep it from sticking, which can hinder proper melting.  Besides, DD calls for sliced cheese.

Cornmeal has no place in pizza dough.  Corn oil, yes.  Cornmeal, no.  I mean, you can put whatever you want in dough--but that ain't authentic.

I like Cooks Illustrated for many things, but this recipe isn't one of them.  It's too fussy, has too many procedures, and is just plain goofy.  It doesn't surprise me that it makes an edible pie, but you can do a lot better and a lot easier with just about any of the recipes on this forum.

Cheers,
Garvey

Cellulose...anti-caking agent   ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose

Offline Signus

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 01:01:19 AM »
For my most recent pizza I used shredded, but on the deep dish I've only used sliced. Though I can never find pre sliced, I have to cut it myself.

In my first deep dish I used the layer of moz on the bottom, then a mix of parm, moz, and shredded mild cheddar. I'm a bit of a fan of cheese :P So any hints on going a nice gooey thick cheese would be great! I'm going to see how much a difference there is switching back to sliced.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:48 AM »
Sounds good Signus. Shredded cheese has nasty stuff in it to keep it from sticking together...also, they are usually low moisture/part skim.....dry cheese. Try some Sorrento...not Sargento or maybe Polly-O. Get one of those large 1lb. square chunks...WHOLE milk is the key,ok?  ;) Just go ahead an slice it with a knife...'bout 1/4 in. thick and lay it on the crust of your pie. You'll be good to go. Please let us know if you like it...

Offline FLAVORMAN

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
I agree Chicago Bob...BTB with semolina is the best so far...Have the dough in the frig for tonight, can't wait

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 06:11:23 PM »
Ugh anyone else seeing the giordanos layered crust in that 1st pic?  Looks like we may finally have our answer.  The recipe is most likely off but man oh man that process is very curious.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:16:37 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Ugh anyone else seeing the giordanos layered crust in that 1st pic?  Looks like we may finally have our answer.  The recipe is most likely off but man oh man that process is very curious.
Yep, that jellyroll technique is VERY Julia Child. Don't know why I never thought of it!!  ;D
Going to try a BTB w/semolina jellyroll.....NO cornmeal...yuk!

pizzapan