Author Topic: aurelio's pizza..  (Read 74209 times)

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
Re: aurelio's pizza..
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2009, 11:48:03 PM »
maybe it is oregano!!  the jar hes shaking the contents look dark!...anyhow!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »
The parm at the end is what stiffens the underlying cheese. Good info.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
Hi Its in the sauce!  i found this crust recipe from you in an old south side thin crust discussion.  I tried it last night.  i like it a lot!  it does remind me a bit of aurelios!  but, unfortunately i had a rise problem, i used Fleischman's yeast in the jar and I dont think i got it activated, perhaps my water wasnt warm enough.  do you have the baker's % or the weight measurements of this recipe?  I would just like to try and be more accurate, i am sure my flour was off.

For 3 16" Pizzas:

5 cups AP Flour
1 2/3 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp corn oil or 4 tbsp butter

thank you so much for your help!!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »
Sorry, I don't. Try using 2 Tsp of yeast. I also now use 5 Tbsp of oil or butter. The closest I get to Aurelios sauce is All Red Puree, add 1/3 to 1/4 can of water and a lot of sugar and herbs.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »
Thanks a ton!!!  great recipe!  really appreciate your help and insights on the sauce!!!!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2009, 09:57:13 PM »
Hey Itsinthesauce,
So even though the rise wasnt what i should have gotten, i made one last night anyway.  following your recommendation in another string about aurelios being puree and sugar.  recently you said herbs.  but last night i just did the red puree and sugar, i didnt add water b/c i tried in the past and i think this albertsons puree is pretty loose. although i didnt get the crispness i wanted, i cooked off a stone preheated to 550 and i used a silver pizza disc i bought a while back.  i buttered it, a little cornmeal.  it was great for formiing the dough.  i thought of that aurelios video we watched and i had a nice curl etc.  i cooked for 14 min on the stone with the pan on it direftly for 14 min and it just wasnt crisp, i may try stone only next time.  i had to open the oven door for 2-3 minutes because the cheese was way ahead of the crust bottom.  i bet as everyone has said a black pan would have been better.  i also did  a fine layer of parmesean on top of my whole milk mozz(didnt have anymore scamorza)  but even with the crust bottom not where it should be.  it had..this crust with the sauce, the best aurelios taste i have had since a real aurelios over a year ago.  had some real hints!!!  thanks again.  as far as no herbs in the sauce,  i think the salt from the cheese and i did add a sprinkle of oregano on top of the sauce after the sauce was on the pie, it was the closest ive had to date.  im so excited to have had that flavor even just a little again!  thanks again!   i will let you know how the stone or perf disc goes on the next try!

Offline CharlotteSailor

« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2009, 05:58:23 AM »
I found Scamorza cheese in an Italian grocery in Cape Coral Florida.  I'm going to make a pizza tonight and see if it's the cheese that I remember from Aurelio's.  That is if the franchisees here in Southwest Florida are using the same cheese as Homewood.  I grew up in the HF area but moved away in the late 70s so I can't say my memory for taste goes that far back; I can only compare to the Naples and Bonita stores.  All I remember is that Aurelio's was the best back then and the stores here are also very good.

Offline CharlotteSailor

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2009, 06:09:05 AM »
I made a pizza with the Scamorza and my answer is I think so.  In any case I think the Scamorza is better in a pizza than Mozz.  It is more salty so at least for me and my wife (neither of us cares for salt) I would watch how much salt is in your sauce.

Offline johnson1451

« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2009, 11:56:11 AM »
just found this forum and it is great. tried the recipe for Aurelio's with the pastene tomato puree, brown sugar, salt and pinch of Italian herb. the other day i was at my brother in laws and he said what he like a bout Aurelio's is the buttery finish. so i tried adding a little butter, maybe about a qtr stick to 28oz of puree. the other thing i was wondering s does anyone taste a hint of fennel in the sauce.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
seems to be either fennel or cumin.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »
going to try the fennel or cumin!  buttery finish?  that is interesting.   it cant be in the sauce, when it gets room temp youd see oil clumps no??  i dont recall them brushing the crust with butter.....hmmmm, there could be butter in the crust recipe maybe....im trying to jar my memory.  its been well over a year since i had the honor of having one!!!   is there an herb that gives a buttery flavor? i dont think ive ever heard of one.  thanks for the ideas guys!!

Offline johnson1451

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
i used butter in the sauce no lumps no oil, refrigerate 1 day great taste try it. it taste pretty close.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2009, 12:21:22 PM »
Killer!! i will try it!!!  thanks for the info!!!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »
So do you cook your sauce to melt and incorporate the butter?? or melt the butter and add to the cold puree?  thanks!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2009, 06:44:11 AM »
going to try the fennel or cumin!  buttery finish?  that is interesting.   it cant be in the sauce, when it gets room temp youd see oil clumps no??  i dont recall them brushing the crust with butter.....hmmmm, there could be butter in the crust recipe maybe....im trying to jar my memory.  its been well over a year since i had the honor of having one!!!   is there an herb that gives a buttery flavor? i dont think ive ever heard of one.  thanks for the ideas guys!!

Typically a little butter is added to tomato sauce to reduce the acidity.  It can be used as a substitution for sugar.  I personally prefer it over sugar because I'm not a fan of sweet sauce.

Matt

Offline johnson1451

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »
ive been simmering the puree about 10 to 15 min and adding the ingredients then refrigerate about a day or so. been pretty good. still have to expiriment with qty's. I put the butter cold inot the simmering puree.

Offline BTB

« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2009, 08:09:21 PM »
For Aurelio fans, you can see my report and pictures regarding my recent visit to Aurelio's new restaurant in Ft. Myers, Florida at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9706.msg84278.html#msg84278.  Pizza was great.                                  --BTB

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
BTB YOU ROCK!  thank you! 

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2009, 08:48:29 PM »
Great work BTB!  Thanks for the review.
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
Ya know, sometimes we over-complicate things. Another sauce I was trying to copy, wasn't anything like where I was taking it. The owner told me All Red Puree and 1/4 water.....no spices. He let's the toppings do the talking. Go figure!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2009, 12:09:42 AM »
thats such a great point!!  my best replication to date was with loos home run inn recipe. as per the ingredients, puree, salt, pepper...thats it...the sausage and cheese added to it, it was great.....with aurelios a guy i worked with at aurelios in oak brook terrace Ill.  i was a bus boy dish washer, he was a cook. said it was puree, water and a bag of spices they would add which was mostly sugar....he now owns his own joint in west burbs, but he swears people like their sugar fix, and aurelios was king of sugar....hmmmm.  im now thinking, salt, pepper, sugar, pureem maybe a little water.....hmmm.   good discussion!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2009, 09:13:14 AM »
That's it!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2009, 12:26:41 AM »
i have some leftover chi thin crust dough, and i was taking dough for 1 14inch and dividing it into 2 and rollign it out as thin as manageable.  made some margherita pizzas, olive oil, sauce, buffalo mozz and some sprigs of basil, for the sauce, i used puree, salt, pepper, sugar......it was pretty damn good.  i can imagine the flavor the sausage might add.  it was close!! 

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2009, 01:35:37 AM »
cheesy video, but some glimpses of pans, sauce, and he talks about the cheese.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2009, 01:39:15 AM »
no oil in the cheese. its low in cholestrol??? anyone???

pizzapan