Author Topic: aurelio's pizza..  (Read 67603 times)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: aurelio's pizza..
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 04:32:53 PM »
Amen to that. Mrs Aurelio is still around riding heard on the Franchisees. They've closed several in the Chicago area for not following the recipe.

Re: Fox's they do use Anise. Another great pizza with a twist.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 09:59:58 PM »
I had lunch at Aurelio's yesterday. Seems to be using Romamo cheese on top, added to their Mozz, to give it a little kick.

Offline guidopizza

Re: aurelio's pizza che..
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »
Another Chicago Heights pizza aficianado sez about the Aurelio's cheese question:
The mozzarella-type cheese you referred that Aurelio's (and several other great South Suburban Pizzerias of the day such as Valentino's and maybe Sanfratello's) used was most probably "scamorza". It looks, grates and melts much the same as mozzarella but cooks (browns) better and is more flavorful. It's usually available around the south 'burbs of Chi-town in one pound teardrop shaped blobs, but seldom seen elsewhere in my travels and, I've never found it in Michigan where I now live.

The brand I usually find when in the area is 'Chellino" (made in Joliet IL) and the wrapper says "Scamorza, Cheese for Pizza". It's the best! I use it for all of my pizza creations, usually along with a bit of imported pecorino (sheep's milk Romano) and sometimes blend in a bit of imported applewood smoked provolone. It's also great used all by itself of course. Chellino is a Chicago Company and also by the way, produces the best fresh ricotta I've ever had (just in case you find yourself in a lasagna mood).

A further cheese note... seems consistently good mozzarella is getting harder to find these days.. Much of it is like the polymer-cheese gunk many of the big chains love to use. Many "big-brand-name" varieties found in the supermarkets are none too great either. Any other good recommendations out there for those of us who can't regularly locate scamorza??
 :chef:

here's a picture of it's package (sitting on my favorite, 40 year old pizza pan):

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 04:59:06 PM »
Chellino makes a great product, but I don't think that's what they use.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 04:20:04 AM »
Around boston all the scamorza is much denser and sharper than mozzarella.  It doesn't melt well at all.  It is more like a stiff aged provolone, and therefore only good in small amounts as a blending cheese.  I am wondering if this chicago style is different?  If so I want to try it!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 08:44:42 AM »
Around Chgo, it's texture is much like Mozz.

Offline guidopizza

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 09:50:51 AM »
Yup it is. If you saw it unwrapped, you'd likely guess it was mozzarella; at least until you smelled it. At that point one notices that it has a nice but subtle fragrance. It's quite soft and melts very readily. In Chicago Heights where I grew up, all my "old country' Italian relatives on "the Hill" never used Mozzarella, it was always Scamorza.

I checked with a friend who grew up in Boston and he confirmed that what they often see there is an 'aged' Scamorza which, as was noted above, is of a much different texture/character and used for other purposes so, that comment also seems to fit.

Anyway, I'd like to know if any of you try the Chellino whether you feel it makes a significant difference (or, if I'm just suffering from yet another case of San Benedetto del Tronto brainwashing...  :o). I guess, because of Scamorza's non-availability here in Michigan, what particular pizza cheeses you DO like to use. As I mentioned previously, many of the garden variety mozzarellas I've tried are just bland and either watery or rubbery and sometimes melt/cook rather sadly.

Btw, I just found and joined this forum yesterday during a frenzied round of playing recipe-research-detective... You folks here are terrific; I'm glad to have discovered you. Grazie!

Offline guidopizza

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 09:54:06 AM »
Around boston all the scamorza is much denser and sharper than mozzarella.  It doesn't melt well at all.  It is more like a stiff aged provolone, and therefore only good in small amounts as a blending cheese.  I am wondering if this chicago style is different?  If so I want to try it!

Yup it is. If you saw it unwrapped, you'd likely guess it was mozzarella; at least until you smelled it. At that point one notices that it has a nice but subtle fragrance. It's quite soft and melts very readily. In Chicago Heights where I grew up, all my "old country' Italian relatives on "the Hill" never used Mozzarella, it was always Scamorza.

I checked with a friend who grew up in Boston and he confirmed that what they often see there is an 'aged' Scamorza which, as was noted above, is of a much different texture/character and used for other purposes so, that comment also seems to fit.

Anyway, I'd like to know if any of you try the Chellino whether you feel it makes a significant difference (or, if I'm just suffering from yet another case of San Benedetto del Tronto brainwashing...  :o). I guess, because of Scamorza's non-availability here in Michigan, what particular pizza cheeses you do like to use. As I mentioned previously, many of the garden variety mozzarellas I've tried are just bland and either watery or rubbery and sometimes melt/cook rather sadly.

Btw, I just found and joined this forum yesterday in a frenzied round of playing recipe-research-detective... You folks here are terrific; I'm glad to have discovered you. Grazie!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 11:07:02 AM »
I'll try it this weekend. I live about 5 miles from their plant and store.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 04:46:26 AM »
Guidopizza or Itsinthesauce,  I would be happy to send you some money (above and beyond the cost of the cheese and shipping) if you would mail me some of that.  It sounds like something I should try!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 09:37:24 AM »
Do you think it will ship well?

Offline guidopizza

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 10:09:52 AM »
Hi Scott,

I'd be able to accommodate your request though I probably won't get back to Chi-town til March or so. It's easy enough to ship safely, at least during the cold months, if next day or even priority mail depending on where you live. 've It's usually around $4.99/lb. where I buy it and USPS shipping is fairly reasonable so, it's a worthwhile 'experiment' I've sent some to my brother in Oregon and it was fine. You can also have it packed with dry ice I suppose.

First however you might try to ask a local deli to order some by convincing 'em  their customers will love it or, try my usual source when I'm in the area and ask if they might ship, D&D Grocery,(1023 S Halsted St, Chicago Heights, IL 60411, (708) 755-1520) and ask for Guido Damiani and tell him that Bruce from Michigan suggested you call him. They're pretty accommodating there. You could also try contacting the company itself (CHELLINO CHEESE COMPANY 505 Bennett Avenue Joliet, IL 60433-2301 Phone: 815/726-5969 Fax: 815/726-6441). 

Good luck and, if it doesn't pan out, get back in touch and I'll pick some up for you on my next run to the 'hood.

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »
D&D Grocery,(1023 S Halsted St, Chicago Heights, IL 60411, (708) 755-1520)

I was going to try to go straight to the factory next week to see if I could buy the cheese from them, but I only live ten min. southwest of this store. So if they're open on Saturday I'll have some new cheese to try tomorrow for a Saturday night pizza.

Thanks for posting the name of your resource.

Thanks again,

Jim
ABSOLUTE PIZZA FREAK

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 10:23:02 PM »
Let me start with saying WOW this little Italian grocery store had things I’d never seen before. It could have been a bit more, well lets say “sanitary” but I was not disappointed in the store at all it was everything I hoped it would be. As soon as I walked in I was greeted by an adorable elder Italian grandma who was very nice. The first isle I came to had canned tomatoes of every kind the 6-1 28oz was 1.69 a can not too bad. I didn’t ask if they had more, but I think I got the last one pound package of Chellino scamorza cheese they had.  I was like a kid in a candy store, the fresh homemade Italian olives and fresh spices in zip lock bags marked with sharpe marker with the price. Then when I saw fresh homemade pizza dough in the cooler for $1.45 enough to make at least two 18” pizzas and the homemade Italian sausage in the deli case the deal was sealed. Tonight was going to be a pizza night for sure. So here’s what I did (sorry no pics but next time I will, I got caught up in the moment).

Dough:
Floured the counter and rolled the store bought dough out to about 3/32”. Placed dough on a wood peel and topped.

My go to sauce:
1-28oz can 6-1
3-cloves fresh garlic (through a press)
1- tbls Italian seasoning (your favorite brand)
1 ˝ -tbls sugar (I like it sweet)
1-tsp salt
1- Can tomato paste not seasoned (small can)
Put all ingredients into into blender and turn on high for 30 seconds. Next pour the mixture into a sauce pan and simmer. Stir sauce for ten minutes and then let cool (for about a hour in the refrigerator).

Cheese
6oz – Chellino Scamorza

Toppings
22 – hormel pepperoni on top of the cheese (of course)

I put it in @ 500deg. on the pizza stone For approximately 8min and perfecto. This cheese added the flavor I’d been looking for thank you guidopizza for the recommendation.

Thanks again,

Jim  
ABSOLUTE PIZZA FREAK

Offline guidopizza

Re: aurelio's pizza.. (scamorza secrets)
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 11:50:49 PM »
you're welcome Jim,

I agree, that cheese is the a major component of the flavor of the pizzas I grew up with in the south 'burbs.

That store (D & D in Chicago heights) is like a little treasure chest from Italy...and since it's just a neighborhood store serving a local community of Italians, prices for good imported stuff tend to be more reasonable than the fancier emporiums.  Two other treats I sometimes use in my pizzas for variety are their imported Pecorino Romano (deli counter) and the individually wrapped imported applewood-smoked provolone (when I do add these, I still use mostly scamorza).

I also use their excellent canned San Marzano (the La Bella San Marzano brand) tomatoes for my sauce; I've found their flavor and substance to be unmatched by any of dozens of others I've tried. And, like in your sauce recipe, I add some good unsalted tomato paste along with my herbs of choice.

Geez, now that the word's out, I hope they'll have plenty on hand when I next make the trek from Michigan to stock up on supplies!

buon appetito!

that guidopizza guy

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 07:08:44 AM »
Another good place is Italia Imports. They're on RT 30 in New Lenox and 143rd St in Homer Glen, IL.

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »
Guidopizza, post ahead of time when your coming down and I’ll hold off from shopping a few days so there’s some left for you  :-D

Itsinthesauce, Italia Imports on Rt. 30 is where I bought my first can of 6-1 tomatoes. I don’t know if its been up hill or down hill from there! :-\

Like itsinthesauce says “This is a sickness” today I took ride to Rubio’s over in Tinley Park just to walk around and see if I could find anything interesting. Let me say that place is great and had about 30lbs of scamoza cheese in the cooler (hint hint). Yes I did buy things, I just can’t control myself. >:D

Later Guys,

Jim
ABSOLUTE PIZZA FREAK

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »
itsinthesauce,

I thought that you might be interested in this thread from the PMQ Think Tank: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=4655&highlight=bonta, starting with the papajgirl post.

Peter

Offline Za guy

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 10:26:28 PM »
Wow, this IS memory lane!  I just surfed over here in search of a Deep-Dish recipe, and found a whole thread about my home town pizzaria.  Out here in No. Cali. you just don't see the names Aurelio's and Homewood-Flossmoor too much.  Well I liked the background info about how Joe started the pizza empire going.  I had no idea.  Went to high school with two of Joe's daughters, and at the time was a lot more preccupied with other things besides food.  Sorry to hear he passed away.  I just hope I didn't contribute much to the stress that led to his heart attacks.  Joe may have made a great pizza, I can't really say  It didn't do much for me to tell the truth.  But I do know that he made even better daughters.  Sue and Lori Aurelio were quite the stunners back in 1973.  Just beautiful.  In fact, ahhh... no more details.  Anyway, great to see these names - a real blast from the past!  Go Vikings!

Za guy

PS:  The whole thing intruigued me so much, I also surfed to their web-site and you can still find a picture of Sue (blonde) dressed in her work outfit doing something or another at the restaurant.  Neat!

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
Someone on here mentioned "the hill" and Chicago Heights....what's next "The Tender Trap" Bar on Halsted.. :-D

Anyway, it's kinda cool to see that Joe and the pizza he made touched a lot of people.  Growing up in Homewood and walking past the home location daily going to the train station, I can tell you that I still have that smell in my memory bank.

All said, I've read about the special cheeses mentioned here in south side pizza making.  Since I'm 10 hours west in South Dakota I'm kinda hoping that I can get my hands on some of this Scamorza, but I gotta say it's less than Italian out here if ya know what I mean.  I gotta better chance of becoming an Astronaut, versus finding that kinda special cheese out here. 

Nobody has posted a pseudo-recipe for Aurelios yet..if anyone thinks that they've come across something close I'd be more than willing to try it.  I think the sauce is kinda the key for their pizza....if anyone had to bet on how they arrive at it, what would you say it contains....I would hope it's not merely sugared down puree. 

Thanks....great site.

(HF..class of 1990.. ;))

pizzapan