Author Topic: aurelio's pizza..  (Read 69689 times)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: aurelio's pizza..
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
Buzz,

Where do you get Pastene?

Offline buzz

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2008, 11:11:13 AM »
It's not easy to find. I would go to www.pastene.com and use their store locator. A note, though--I get mine at an independent grocery store which isn't listed in their store locator, so you might want to send a message to their sales office.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:43:40 AM by buzz »

Offline buzz

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2008, 11:42:55 AM »
Hey, Peter--

Nice to hear from you! Sorry to have been away, but a lot has been going on and I just couldn't get to the site. Look for the recipe and directions on the American forum under "Awesome Pizza Crust". I don't have any info about Aurelio's ovens.

I think you need the autolysed crust, which makes a thin crust that is crisp yet tender at the same time. I don't want to wait for a pizza stone to heat up, so I par-bake the crust before adding toppings.

I discovered the Pastene tomatoes by accident, tried them, and said, "This is Aurelio's!". If they don't use Pastenes, then they must use a similar product. Tomato Magic by Stanislaus is good, too, but I think the Pastenes are better. I get my Stella mozzarella from the grocery store deli and let it cook until it starts to brown a bit.

Here is the simple sauce recipe (do not cook):

1 28-oz. can Pastene ground tomatoes

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp Kosher salt

A few pinches of oregano

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »
buzz,

Thanks for the information. I hope you will be able to visit the forum more and post more.

The link to the thread you mentioned is http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5045.msg42751.html#msg42751. Next time I am back East, where I have seen the Pastene tomatoes (there are no places near me in Texas that sell them), I will have to pick up a few cans.

Peter

Offline Hops099

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2008, 11:17:23 AM »
Having recently returned from Chicago with a pint of Aurelio's sauce and some scamorza cheese (it has been suspected that this is what Aurelio's uses, was that ever confirmed?) I came to a couple of conclusions after making a few pizzas this past weekend.

I don't think the Aurelio's "taste" is necessarily from the sauce.  I tried some on its own prior to dressing my pizzas and while it did have a "sweet-ish" element to it (as well as being very tasty), it didn't seem too far off other pizza sauces I've had (or even made).

I think that the cheese used here provides the taste that my palate recognizes as "Aurelio's."  Looks like I'll be ordering lots more scamorza in the future!

Hops

Offline buzz

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2008, 11:08:09 AM »
I bought an Aurelio's and paid close attention to what my taste buds were telling me. This particular pizza was sweeter than other Aurelio's I've had in the past--perhaps it was just this batch. The sweetness has a cloying taste to it, which makes me suspect corn syrup (cheaper for them than sugar). There is a very faint back palate taste of fennel. Definitely oregano sprinkled on top of the pizza.

I'm not familiar with scamorza, but to me their cheese tastes like mozzarella. I'll buy some scamorza and check it out! The sauce is definitely a huge factor is the Aurerlio's taste!

Offline zipp669

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2008, 08:41:19 PM »
I will be bringing a few Aurelios Pizzas home with me on my way back to Iowa from Boston.
I brought some home in febrary and they were excellent.

Offline JJ

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
Just a heads up.... Tony's Finer Foods on 87th & south Harlem sells 6in1ground tomatoes 28oz. for $1.79 and they also carry Scamorza cheese made by Chellino.
Chicago's southwest side close to Home Run Inn,Palermo's 63rd,Vito & Nick's,Giordano's & Obbie's!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2009, 02:40:29 AM »
ok gang, hooked up with an old aurelios cook. buttload of sugar was his comment re: sauce.   it was purree and water and these bags of spices wHich he said was mostly sugar.  ive tried white sugar....i still think the brown sugar has been the closest..this confirms that the OJ thing was crap, but some one is usin that.  the sauce i made with oj instead of sugar(dont cut puree w water) had a fresh kick!  supposedly some chicago pizza uses orange soda?

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2009, 02:42:38 AM »
no one's talked about aurelios crust. its pretty unique.  anyone have a  recipe??  that would be...welll...heaven!  thanks in advance!  IM ABOUT TO BUY A bunch of pastenes!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »
Try the Light Brown sugar....it comes pretty close.

Offline Mare

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
Many years ago (back when ten dollars was real money), my brother-in-law bribed a waitress at Uno's to find out what kind of cheese they used.  She said they used scamorza. 

Mare

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2009, 12:08:37 AM »
i have only been able to get smoked scamorza online.  i wish i could get some from joiliet, il.  i used to grind cheese for aurelios, as a bus boy.  it was dry and firm.  we cut big blocks into small squares.  then fed them into the huge meat grinder.  the grind was a very fine, like almost granular.  i was amazed by the dryness.  everything ive worked with has never been that dry.  it was delicious.  i would eat it as i ground it.  was like a dry mozz with parmesian already in it.  i need to dry the illinosie scamorza!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:51 AM »
I think it has asiago in the blend.

Offline Hops099

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
mrmojo1,

I found this a few months ago after I ran out of the scamorza I picked while visiting the Chicago area.  I haven't ordered from them yet, but the picture suggests they're selling Chellino brand scamorza, which is what I bought from an Italian grocer near Joliet.

Hops

http://www.derosaimports.com/store_product_details.php?id=144&catid=25

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »
That's not a bad price for 4 lbs. It sells in stores around Chicago for $5.96 to $7.95 a pound.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2009, 09:09:51 PM »
hops!  youre a god!  thank you friend! i am going to try it!  it looks like the absolute real deal.  my father remembered it as a kid in chicago, he said "oh yeah!  cheese for pizza"  dang!  thanks again!

-=terry

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »
I'd still love to see someone work-up a real recipe for this place....growing up in Homewood, IL..it's my place of choice.

Having been traveling for work lately I've been to their Denver location and Burnsville-MN as well....both had the same taste, etc.  Being a person who makes pizza, I found it very interesting to stand and watch them make the pies (which you can do at the MN location)  A few things I noticed during my visit, having been years since I'd had their pizza..

-The dough is run very very thin
-The cheese is more than you would think, more than other such recipes call for on this site
-The sauce is just awesome.  I bought some (you can buy it by the pint..for like $5).  Has plenty of sugar, for sure.  It's not the same as the Pastene..I know, cuz I bought a bunch of that..and it's plenty different taste.  It's just puree with basil and sugar from what I can tell.  Somebody figure this out!!   ;)  I tend to order their pie with extra sauce..and it's just awesome..
-I think they have some olive oil on the top..just a bit, I could be wrong though.
-They cook their pizza on a regular pizza pan, nothing special..no holes, etc

Scamorza question....being non-low moisture, wouldn't that make for a watery pie?  (is there a low moisture version)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:47:47 PM by Witt »

Offline BTB

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2009, 09:05:23 AM »
They cook their pizza on a regular pizza pan
That is only in some locations that use a conveyor oven.  At the Homewood location, the original deck oven that they use -- and that is most requested for cooking up one's pizza there -- uses no pan or screen.

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »
BTB, I recall many people saying.."please cook it in the old oven" and things of that sort.  While I don't doubt you (sounds like you have some inside intel regarding this), it would seem odd to have the pizza cook straight on the belt..you would think it would get some marks on the bottom..not to mention the dough would have to be just right to put it right on the belt without any issues etc.