Author Topic: aurelio's pizza..  (Read 69813 times)

Offline BTB

Re: aurelio's pizza..
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
Witt, as mentioned above I lived in the H-F area, too, for a very long time and recall Joe Aurelio making many pizzas for me personally when he was alive (in his pizzeria's earlier days).  Aurelio's did not use any pan for their pizzas when baking pizzas in the deck oven (and there is no conveyor belt in a deck oven).  The pizza is laid straight onto the deck of the deck oven with a use of a peel.  Most of the old timers at the Homewood location always order their pizzas cooked in the old deck oven, which makes for a much better pizza IMO. 

They have a conveyor oven there, too, but cook pizzas in it only for those who make no special request (because it's easier and uses less labor).  I recall them putting the pizzas straight onto the metal conveyor without a pan, but think after a while they started to use screens in the conveyor oven.  Pans and disks I think are more recent developments used at some of the franchises, some of which are good . . . but most of which are not unfortunately. The original in Homewood is still one of Chicago's finest, however. 

Using a pan in a conveyor oven doesn't make much sense to me as I think it would be difficult to heat the bottom of the pizza skin adequately as the hot air is blown underneath the pizza as it travels through the conveyor oven.  But the franchisees have been free to do things a lot differently from the original location.  In the beginning the franchises were tightly controlled, but have turned into a more loose  association of sorts in which they can now even source a lot of the pizza supplies on their own.  But being far away from Homewood, all that counts is that you enjoy the pizzas at their far flung locations.   I get to enjoy one every now and then at their Naples, Florida location.

Don't forget to save your pizza box coupons . . .                                                            --BTB
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:18:35 PM by BTB »

Offline puckhead

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2009, 12:25:21 AM »
I looked up Chellino Cheese Co, they also go by Topz Dairy Products, to see if they have a website (they don't). Turns out their president is named Fred Cemeno. Now I am not sure if they are related, but in Joliet there is Cemeno's pizza which for years was Aurelio's. I had heard there was a falling out of some sort and the Cemeno's left the franchise, but the pizza stayed pretty much the same, although I haven't had it in years.

Now, can anyone duplicate Maurie's Table deep dish?

Offline buzz

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2009, 12:04:19 PM »
I just tried to make it again using my autolyse crust and Pastene tomatoes and I was again struck by the Pastenes--to me, anyway, it's the same taste.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2009, 02:35:39 PM »
I looked up Chellino Cheese Co, they also go by Topz Dairy Products, to see if they have a website (they don't). Turns out their president is named Fred Cemeno. Now I am not sure if they are related, but in Joliet there is Cemeno's pizza which for years was Aurelio's. I had heard there was a falling out of some sort and the Cemeno's left the franchise, but the pizza stayed pretty much the same, although I haven't had it in years.

Now, can anyone duplicate Maurie's Table deep dish?

I remember someone telling me that when Cemeno franchised for Aurelio's, He was not going by the books with Aurelio.. But that is from what I have heard.. I never trusted the gossip from living in the Plainfield - Joliet area for most of my life..

Now Maurie's... Hmmmm... Now there is some pizza for drinking a few beers with!!! The last time I was there is when we had scuba diving socials. We would take up most of the place and get sooo stuffed full of pizza.... I would love to try to get that recipe!!!

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
I also heard that they weren't following Aurelio's System. As a Franchisor, that cannot happen or the system falls apart.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2009, 04:58:07 AM »
I'm sorry for anyone who posted recipes, but I am tasting a richness....possibly a combo of stock-based sauce and some wine added. I don't think it's a simple tomato sauce.....

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2009, 11:15:47 AM »
I think it is a doctored up watered down tomato sauce.  :-D
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2009, 06:12:42 PM »
Lots of continually good info about Aurelios here..

In my recent trips to Burnsville-MN and Denver-CO, I was pleased that both tasted like the original to me.  I wouldn't say identical, but very much the same kinda thing.  The sauce for me is the thing that would tip me off.  The italian beef sammiches also tasted the same, which is unique since their beefs taste much different than typical.  (not as greasy, etc)

When Pastene was mentioned earlier, are we talking about their ground or crushed tomatoes product..I assume yes.  If so, that's more hearty than Aurelious sauce..and I would agree that Aurelious seems somehow more rich of a taste.

Offline dstagl

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »
I just tried to make it again using my autolyse crust and Pastene tomatoes and I was again struck by the Pastenes--to me, anyway, it's the same taste.

Kudos on this one, Buzz.  I found some Pastene's down here in Atlanta and put them on a thin crust tonight using Buzz's awesome thin crust recipe.  The sauce was very very close to my memories of Aurelios.  I'll need to find some different cheese and maybe a little less salt in the crust to really hit it, but the sauce was probably my favorite sauce that I've ever made.  Either way, Buzz's recipes definitely seem like a step in the right direction.

For my sauce tonight, I used some Pastene ground tomatoes with no salt added.  I drained them for about 10-20 minutes and then used Buzz's recipe.  If I had known how good it was going to come out, I would have put a lot more sauce on the pie.

Next time I'm going to try a puree instead of the ground tomatoes because the Pastene's are a little chunkier than what I would normally like on a thin crust.

Dave

Offline BTB

« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:51 PM »
I visited one of the local Italian Deli's near me over the weekend to get a supply of some good fresh sweet Italian sausage for pizzas and other good dishes.  Looking through the aisle of the deli products I noticed a couple of things I remembered hearing about from somewhere, so I picked them out and purchased them.  It was not until I got home that I remembered specifically that they were written about in this thread . . . as well as others.  Now we got to figure out a formulation for Aurelio's crust.  I don't see much written about it in the many pages of this thread.

For Aurelio's fans here, can you help out by describing your best recollections about the various characteristics, taste, texture and feel of the Aurelio's crust?  The cheese is still going to be tough in figuring out as I remember a crispy, crust-like top of the cheese that is hard to imagine and determine how that was done.  Someone here suggested that they put a lot of grated Romano on top, but I got a lot of their unbaked pizzas for the freezer in the past and never saw signs of any finely grated cheese on top of the uncooked pizza.  Just ordinary looking shredded cheese.  But when it cooked up, the cheese had that definite crispy, crust-like affect on top of the pizza.  Am unsure if Scamorza itself will duplicate that.            --BTB
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:59:40 PM by BTB »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »
hops!  youre a god!  thank you friend! i am going to try it!  it looks like the absolute real deal.  my father remembered it as a kid in chicago, he said "oh yeah!  cheese for pizza"  dang!  thanks again!

-=terry

got the scamorza in the mail today.  all said and done 4 1lb packages delivered 32bucks i think.  comparative to 7.99/lb whole milk mozz out here at alberstons.  cant wait.  i havnt found pastenes but the cento puree i found i think is great.  with a little brown sugar, scamorza, sweet sausage and loos chi thin crust recipe(which i love) and i am thinkin well be havin the closest i can make to aurelios thousands of miles away!!!  thank you all for your help!  -=terry

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »
I visited one of the local Italian Deli's near me over the weekend to get a supply of some good fresh sweet Italian sausage for pizzas and other good dishes.  Looking through the aisle of the deli products I noticed a couple of things I remembered hearing about from somewhere, so I picked them out and purchased them.  It was not until I got home that I remembered specifically that they were written about in this thread . . . as well as others.  Now we got to figure out a formulation for Aurelio's crust.  I don't see much written about it in the many pages of this thread.

For Aurelio's fans here, can you help out by describing your best recollections about the various characteristics, taste, texture and feel of the Aurelio's crust?  The cheese is still going to be tough in figuring out as I remember a crispy, crust-like top of the cheese that is hard to imagine and determine how that was done.  Someone here suggested that they put a lot of grated Romano on top, but I got a lot of their unbaked pizzas for the freezer in the past and never saw signs of any finely grated cheese on top of the uncooked pizza.  Just ordinary looking shredded cheese.  But when it cooked up, the cheese had that definite crispy, crust-like affect on top of the pizza.  Am unsure if Scamorza itself will duplicate that.            --BTB

when i worked at the aurelios in oak, brook terrace Ill. some 24 yrs ago.  we only ground blocks of 1 type of cheese.  i dont remember a label, but it was very dry, and we used a meat grinder and got a pretty fine grind.   the sauce was thin, if you asked for extra sauce they used a red restaurant plastic ketchup condiment bottle to squirt extra sauce on top of the cheese.  one i do know living out west going back once  a year to chicago and hitting the restaurant, is that the frozen shipped pizzsas although tasting pretty good, always had a cheese on it that was more like grated mozzerella and it was typical size, but the cheese in the restaurant on their pizzas had no such texture. i was convinced they used a different type of cheese on the frozen shipped pizzas.  we didnt and they still dont grate it like that at the restaurant i worked.  i remember the crust being a little crisp and a bit more airy than the std burb square cut thin pizzas.  wish i would have paid more attention.  from the cooks i talk to, their sauce was puree cut with water and pre packaged spices added to the mix.  a boatload of sugar was supposedly part of the spice packets.  would love to hear other's ideas on the crust!  man i want an  aurelios NOW!!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2009, 08:52:18 AM »
BTB,
I see you found the Scamorza Cheese, Yum!
I just picked up more of that its $6.99 /lb which I find reasonable Compared with the stella and the Grande I am still after.
Cant wait to try out one of your new Formulas for Aurelios, I am sure it will be as good as the Malnatis, which by the way has been requested again for this weekend  ;D
Unfortunatley, I have never had any of these, so I have no recollection of taste flavor or texture and can be no help:'(  only wait to recreate. With Peters help I am trying a Papa Ginos Recreation this weekend Thats what I can  remember from the North East. I will post results
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2009, 10:03:20 PM »
hey gang, well i tried the scamorza friday night, i thought it was a little firmer and tasted a little saltier than the whole milk mozz i have been using.  i was excited because it seem to get a dry crust on top of the cheese that was differnt than standard mozz. almost like on mozz where some pamesian browned, but not as dark.  the cheese was very good.  nto exactly aurelios but the closest yet for me.  i think i am a bit behind in the craft as compared t some of your guys' pizza pics.  i will try to post some pics.  3 teaspoons of brown sugar and the sauce still wasnt sweet enough for me after it baked, it gets a lot of saltiness back in it i find from the little bit of parm i sprinkle on after i add the sausage and before i add the mozz. thanks for all the help!  back to the drawing board.  it was still fun and although far from aurelios sure better than anything here in Idaho.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2009, 11:34:28 PM »
HELLO hello  hello.....ECHO ...echo...echo...hope i didnt bum anyone out or anything.  i cherish this site and the unreal experts here..anyhow.  no advice on my sweet sauce losing its sweetness after the bake?  please help!!!  anyhow i bought a bakers scale today and after using the http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html  i've realized some major errors on my volume conversions....so...back to the drawing board.  i am forgoing canned puree for crushed plum and will use my immersion.  i am hoping to get more sweetness overall!  this is a pic of my best loos chi thin with aurelios cheese and aurelios sauce. although better than frozen or idaho pizza....it was a failure!!!  thanks for the  help!  this one is 100% scamorza from joliet, IL.  this was a cheese only at the wifes request.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »
anyone got any new insites to aurelios crust and sauce.  was supposed to get my 1 aurelios a year as i was headed to MI thru chicago and was gonna pull off 294 and pick up a fiesta cheese and sausage from the oakbrook chain where i worked a long long time ago, but due to wife's health issues we have to cancel.  so were going to stick around here in boise, Id.  anyhow i think people are hot on the pastenes.  the scamorza was close but seemed softer and more moist than  the blocks i used to grind.  the crust, i think the closest i have come is with a bit of rice flour, but it was way off!  anyhow. here's to hopin we get a breakthru!! 

Offline zaza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
Chellino makes a great product, but I don't think that's what they use.

They do use Chellino.  It is low moisture Chellino and another kind.  I am sure it is even amounts.  I used to work there.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2009, 12:51:14 PM »
I'll give it a try this weekend....thanks!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:07 PM »

They do use Chellino.  It is low moisture Chellino and another kind.  I am sure it is even amounts.  I used to work there.

cool!  i have one package of chellino scamorza left!  i wish i could get the other kinds they make!  Any insight on the sauce???? or crust???  please please please!!!!  thank you!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2009, 11:31:56 PM »
here's a link to a clip from aurelios website.  the video is the last one on the page on the bottom right.  they are doing a promo in vegas on a local news channel.  not a ton to be garnished but he really is sprinkling  a lot of what i think is parmesean on top of the cheese at the end.  if its oregano i dont see any flecks showing up.  sauce is a puree as we know. was trying to see how stiff the mozzerela or scamorza was....anyhow i enjoyed it. let us know if you see anything else worth mentioning.  thanks!

http://www.aureliospizza.com/aurelios/corporate.nsf/fCNTDspRead?OpenForm&Cat1=LA11

pizzapan