Author Topic: aurelio's pizza..  (Read 66406 times)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: aurelio's pizza..
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2008, 08:46:54 AM »
I think it is puree with brown sugar added

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 02:06:38 PM »
I think it is puree with brown sugar added
I'm with you!!!
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Tammiegrl

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 08:26:11 AM »
thanks alot everyone, its 7 am and now I want pizza........lol   :pizza:

anyway a friend told me that the secret ingredient is...wait, and I will tell you..............................................................................
.....................................................................don't worry, I will share it with you....................................................................................
.........................................................................................oh, I better not...................
..................................................................................ok, i will...........................
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllol...

ORANGE JUICE!!!! :chef:

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 08:31:46 AM »
You've got to be kidding!

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 07:45:33 PM »
Well.... It looks like were going to make some sauce!!!!
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Hops099

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2008, 09:41:28 PM »
I know this thread has been quiet for awhile but thought I'd throw in my two cents.  I ran out of my standard sauce earlier this week and had a hankerin' for some pizza last night.  So, having run out of San Marzanos and having only a few cans of tomato puree in the cabinet, I decided to whip up a sauce.  I saw the brown sugar suggestion so added it to a very basic sauce of puree, basil, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.  I'm not saying it was Aurelio's, but it was a huge step in that direction.  (I grew up in South Holland and went to the Aurelio's there just about every Friday.)  I'm not saying that this is the "secret ingredient" but the ends justify the means here... I was definitely reminded of their pizza.

Anyway, has anyone ever been to Damiani's on Lincoln Ave. in Dolton, IL?  Has to be my all time favorite!

Cheers,
Hops

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 01:42:44 AM »
Hi gang!  i am an aurelios nut! worked there when i was 14 as a dishwasher/busboy.  i wish i paid more attention to the damn ingredients. the italian sausage was fresh cut by a mchine we called the monster...i dont remember the sauce making.  i think i did have to wash big pots crudded with sauce so i think they cooked it. the cheese was not mozarella it was so dry and in small blocks and we would feed it through a huge grinder that would grind a slightly bigger parmesion type grind.  i think the scamorza idea is right.  but.... i have been working on sauces based on the recommendations of this site and other searches.  still cant hit it.  is 6-1 the key? i finally found some, it is delicious, tastes almost like girodannos right out of the can,  but the aurelios sweet, even the garcias sweet.....its been close but no cigar.  i think i need to try brown sugar.  tried the oj.  2 TBLS, uncooked...then 2 cups simmered.  both offered a fresh twang but not the same sweetness.  so must try the 2 TBLS of brown sugar recommended earlier....im thinking simmered...anyway, i just  read a new one....honey.....??? 2 Teaspoons  think.  i ramble....hey  the italian sausage out here in idaho....im a chicago transfer.....is horrible....but my crust.  i need an aurelios type or garcias, anyone have a double crsut rossattis, dimaggios, an "anyone pizza in the phonebook in the burbs thin crust" or suace.....im dyin out here.  got  a kitchenaid mixer for my birthday i need real pizza..i could die!!!!! thanks gang!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 08:39:31 AM »
Tried Cinnamon and I think it's close! just a little bit. I'm positive they use puree, cut by a third with water.

Offline PIZZA4BREAKFAST

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Wow, this is weird i just had a job interview (for Junior Partner/General Manager) with a Aurelios francise going in the Estero Florida area last week, (i didnt get the job) they are to open by february 09 i cant wait to try it..

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 12:30:46 AM »
anyone got a thin crust i can have fun with.  chicago thin...the double crust.  jakes,  little italian, rosattis, aurelios, anyone...something.......god help me.....lost in idaho...missing chicago......flew in to see parents in mich last month, called aurelios from the car rental lot at ohare, picked up my fiestsa cheese and sausage w extra sauce from oakbrook terrace off 294 where i worked over 20 yrs ago. it rode shotgun up into michigan i was in heaven, no napkins, you should have seen me grinning wiping my face with a clean sock from my luggage.  paying the tolls in illinois.  hilarious!!  the leftovers cold/warm didnt matter.  just fabulous pizza......im so hungry!!!!!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »
Mr. Mojo:

Sounds good, but keep your hands on the wheel  ;)  ;D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
so can someone offer on here an immitation Aurelio's sauce..I'd be willing to try it.  I've tried brown sugar..but I think I used too much.  Thanks.

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2008, 10:10:39 PM »
After having Aurelios up in Roseville, MN this last wknd..I noticed they have "we use Canola Oil for our dough" in the small print on the menu.  (for anyone we was wondering)

I also asked the mgr if there was brown sugar in their sauce (I played dumb like I was new to the pizza..etc) and they said "that's the key to our pizza..the sauce..and it does have a sweet taste doesn't it"....which didn't tell me anything I didn't already know for the past 25 years of eating it.  Anyway, I asked if they sold their sauce....and she said sure..by the quart..for $5.00.  Needless to say, it's in my fridge right now.  Their sauce is flat out the best for my tastes..sweet..also has some oil in it I think..could be wrong.  Somebody needs to figure their sauce out.. ;)

I also watched a guy (behind the counter) making a few pies..which is far more interesting as a person who has interest in making pizza and such....but anyway, he was putting more cheese on his thin crust pies than most I make (thin)....just from eye-balling it. 

....and yes, it was as good as I remember back in Homewood, IL..

Offline Hops099

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:30 AM »
I was visiting family in the south burbs of Chicago this past weekend and picked up a fiesta size Aurelio's pizza from their Homewood restaurant.  This one was cooked in the old oven and was half sausage/green pepper and half cheese (a TON of cheese.)  It was gone in short order... just as delicious as I remember growing up in the area.

Now I have a pint of Aurelio's sauce in my fridge (they sell this and their pasta sauce) and two pounds of scarmoza cheese from an Italian grocer on Route 30 in New Lenox (for those that know the area).  Hopefully, I'll be reminded of how good this pizza was next time I make it at home... probably very soon!

Offline Hops099

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2008, 08:19:54 AM »
One more pic... 

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
They certainly do it right. I'm off to Italia Imports in an hour to get some Scamorza.

Offline buzz

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »
I have matched Aurelio's exactly using my autolyse/bread machine dough, with Pastene ground tomatoes (sugar added to the sauce), and Stella mozzarella.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2008, 06:52:58 PM »
No way!

Offline buzz

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2008, 08:20:15 AM »
Yes, way! It tastes exactly like it (and I'm a big Aurelio's fan)!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2008, 08:28:45 AM »
buzz,

Good to see you back.

Can you post the dough recipe you are using and how you make the dough and pizza? And do you know offhand how Aurelio's bakes the pizzas? I know that a long time ago they used reel ovens but I have read that they have gone more recently to air impingement conveyor ovens as the company has grown.

Peter