Author Topic: Interesting trip to Naples- Just a report- No polemics  (Read 1367 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Interesting trip to Naples- Just a report- No polemics
« on: November 06, 2006, 12:36:03 PM »
Hi Guys,

I was in Naples for the weekend and had a meeting with an historian which is also interested in Pizza.

Before I even had a chance to tell him the results of my research, we were talking about how I find it living in London, how the food was etc and then he asked me how the pizza was in London. He then told me that unfortunately Pizza Napoletana had been exported by bricklayers, farmers, ironmongers etc... none of them being a pizzamaker back in Naples that simply "invented" a profession abroad...

I just thought to share this conversation, not to generate any polemics but to share the information and history this side of the Atlantic.

have a good day

Marco
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:37:10 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline Apizz

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Interesting trip to Naples- Just a report- No polemics
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:56:23 PM »
yes, but think about it:
how boring would that be if we only had good traditional Neapolitan Pizza made by neapolitan pizzaioli? 

Bad pizza has its own place in this world and it's not a bad thing.  How would we know what a good NP is if we have never had a bad one? 

Also, not all pizzaioli in Naples are good.  The pizza making methods in Naples vary almost as much as anywhere else and they make a lot of sucky pizzas, too.  There is a great variation in methods.  People just try to make what tastes good and not what is "consistent with tradition".   I get a feeling that we make NP almost sacred and anything that came from Naples is automatically considered superior.  Frankly, I think we are more obsessed with making that "authentic neapolitan pie" than the pizzaioli in Naples are.

Anyway, having said that, I still choose to continue to be obsessed with that misterious authenticity :-)

Thank you for sharing your experience, Marco.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Interesting trip to Naples- Just a report- No polemics
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 02:31:16 PM »

Also, not all pizzaioli in Naples are good.  The pizza making methods in Naples vary almost as much as anywhere else and they make a lot of sucky pizzas, too. 

Certainly so!!! That is What scares me the most! The historian and myself also talked about it on Saturday...

Well let's hope foreigner have more interest in preserving tradition that Neapolitans are...

Ciao