Author Topic: Project Pizzeria  (Read 7597 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: needing a catchy name for my new place in Australia
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 08:43:18 PM »
it could be tough to defend the name in litigation, and you might not be able to do anything with others who used the same name before you did.

That's the part I contend though.  I understand perfectly that Bill's Pizza is not a strong brand, but not for the litigious reasons you put forth.  If you have your company name registered, that's it.  You need to expressly defend your trademark in order to keep it, but as long as you have a trademark registered in that particular trade, nobody can touch you.  If another Bill's Pizza comes around, you have your attorney send a cease and desist letter, and go to court if necessary.  What it sounds like you're talking about in the legal world is trademarking singularly common names.  That can't be done anyway.  In other words, I can't trademark "pizza" but I can trademark "Bill's Pizza."  I can't trademark "deli" but I can trademark "Stone Deli."  Apple cannot be trademarked, but Apple Computer and Apple Records can.

"get employees to come up with non-descriptive terms for products and services"

I still think you're using the term "descriptive" while intending to instead say "singularly common."  Bill, for example, might be common, and pizza might be common, but there might not exist a "Bill's Pizza" anywhere.  The trademark office will decide for you what's defendable and what isn't.  This shouldn't be a legal issue.

Bill's Pizza is a poor choice of branding because of the backyard scale of operations it connotes.

- red.november

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 08:47:45 PM »
Bill, for example, might be common, and pizza might be common, but there might not exist a "Bill's Pizza" anywhere. 

Bill's Pizza is a poor choice of branding because of the backyard scale of operations it connotes.

Hey! Can't you find another name to denigrate?  >:( :)

Bill/SFNM

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 08:54:10 PM »
(e.g., Bill's Pizza).

Bill, I was just waiting for you to respond on this one.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 09:21:37 PM »
Most of my exposure was to brand names for goods and services rather than company trade names although in several instances the company names and brand names included common elements, so choosing registrable names was important. It was also important to get federal registration because the company had a broad footprint. Maybe I could have come up with a better example than "Bill's Pizza", but the point I was trying to make is that it is better to have a strong name than a weak one, at any stage in the life of a name or mark.

Peter

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 09:58:06 PM »
I don't recall who said it but some celebrated business man was quoted as saying words to the affect of  "Until you build your business and reputation,a name is all you've got,so it better be easy to remember and easy to spell"
I think I may have read it in The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki ? Maybe someone else knows better?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline OZZIEPIE

• CRIKEY..LOOK OUT FOR THAT BASE
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 10:17:56 PM »
ok..market is mostly rentals in a area next to the beach..mixed with majority young..so from wealthy to low income...I will be doing high  volume pizza too start off with,buy crates of stock to get the product item down in price so i can still have good quality toppings and the like...catchy and simple is definatley what i want..half of you get way complex up in here...wanna steer clear from any people names like pinos/joeys/robbo/jackies..as resale makes it a little terrible..people hesitate buying a indy.bar with a personal name and also changing of a name IMO is the last resort if you buy a ongoing business-in this case its performing not so well..so it can be done..BY the way i have a list of names,but more wouldnt hurt :P
ITS ALL ABOUT THE FLAVOUR GUYS

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »
It sounds like something Guy would say.  I've been following a lot of the stuff he's been doing ever since his tenure at Apple Computer.  He was a marketing maven back then.  He's still doing pretty good, but he used to do brilliant work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Kawasaki

Offline David

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 10:39:45 PM »
O.K.  your in Oz and your selling Pizza Pies? ???

It's gotta be........ OPP

You down with OPP (Yeah you know me)
Who's down with OPP  (Every last homie)
You down with OPP (Yeah you know me)
Who's down with OPP  (All the homies)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline OZZIEPIE

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 11:05:50 PM »
 :-D  funny

Offline chiguy

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 11:16:51 PM »
 David,
 I don't know if i am the only one here but i am surrpised that you know the lyrics to a old school rap hit??  ;D ;D   Chiguy
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:25:41 PM by chiguy »

Offline David

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 11:25:10 PM »
I'm a Soul boy at heart ( Jackie Wilson,Gene Chandler etc.) but It's one of my favourites from the years when I used to frequent Mars and Nells in New York . Ah the memories.......... :-X

Offline chiguy

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2006, 11:36:32 PM »
 Yes my father is a fan as well, the Chilites and all those doo wop groups. i heard plenty growing up.                      Chiguy

Offline sqpixels

• experiments
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 03:28:01 AM »
I used to work at a pizza place called Amici's in Melbourne - GREAT Pies there!

m(OZ)zarella?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:33:52 AM by sqpixels »

Offline OZZIEPIE

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 06:58:34 AM »
yes amici's is here in adelaide aswell..wanna stray away from the italian name scene..thinking the area its located -PLYMPTON-so plympton pizza is looking likely..has the pp factor..easy to grasp hold of..its the area..partner likes it..what do you guys think?

Offline hungry one

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 07:09:44 AM »
outback pizza shack

Offline Harv

• Did someone say pizza?
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2006, 08:24:30 AM »
LIVE NUDE GIRLS PIZZA    :o

It's catchy, although, it may not exactly convey the family restaurant feeling one may be looking for.

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2006, 09:15:34 AM »
Ozzie Pizza
Ozzie's Pizza
Pizza Ozzie
Pizzaozzie
Pizzaozza

Or something like that.
I love the zz's - they make me think of pizza (or sometimes of long bearded rock bands, but mostly pizza).  ;)

Or you could call it: The Pizza of Oz  :-D

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2006, 11:18:54 AM »
I always wanted to open an Italian restaurant with the name Sal Monella's, but I don't think the Health Department would approve (it wouldn't exactly bring in the customers either)!   ;D

I wanted to open a restaurant called "Jen Italia" but I don't think it would get much exposure.

Ozzie: How about "Pizza Be With You" or "Pizza On Earth" or "OzziePie."
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline shango

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2006, 09:01:03 PM »
How about Serious Pizza?

Or you could call it Pizza is food

I don't know.... Edan Pizza has a nice ring to it.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline OZZIEPIE

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2006, 12:40:36 AM »
looking at plympton pizza house..pretty much settled on that...I can understand how some might sigh plympton???but its the area and the area consists of mainly english speaking people=customers..and I have always bent over backwards for them...on my menu the only italian named pizza is the capriciousa..i am a first generation italian with roots from naples region campagnia...but I also understand that customers get frustrated in trying too pronounce certain italian names..example la campagnoula was on my last business menu didnt sell much coz peeps where embarassed too pronouce rather they would say'ill have the one with baby spinach parma ham bla blah 1 ..so just gonna do my italian recipes with english names aswell as the name of the business...I know what I am,and they will definatley tell through my cooking..franchise crap as my only competition on the strip :-Xcheers for the help,and the 1 I liked most out of the names suggested was 'outback pizza shack'flows well ;)

pizzapan