Author Topic: Using less yeast in unstable temps  (Read 998 times)

Offline Apizz

• I Love Pizza!
Using less yeast in unstable temps
« on: November 07, 2006, 01:52:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

I was just reading a post http://www.pizza.it/forum/pizza/ShowMessage.asp?ID=39299  about a dough recipe for Neapolitan pizza.  it's in Italian, and I my Italian is far from perfect, but I did understand that the author is saying that the dough should not be fermented in the fridge, it should be left at room temp, although key is to keep the temp constant, which the author recommends to be 18 degrees celcius. 

He is also saying that if it is not possible to keep a constant temp during the fermentation in room temp, then it's better to reduce the amount of yeast in the dough.  Has anyone experimented witht he amounts of yeast in that way?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:57:35 PM by Apizz »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Using less yeast in unstable temps
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:36:17 PM »
Apizz,

I used the Google translator and it appears that what you said is correct. However, I believe the advice to use less yeast was intended for one of the posters (Nina) who apparently lives in Arizona where room temperatures can easily be higher than 18 degrees C (around 64 degrees F). If the poster lived in a very cold climate, the advice could have been to use more yeast.

I frequently adjust yeast quantity based on time of year (e.g., summer versus winter), but I also adjust hydration, salt, and water temperature, for the same reason.

Peter

pizzapan