Author Topic: The Best of Chicago, please?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline fangurl

• I Love Pizza!
The Best of Chicago, please?
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:19:48 PM »
This section is great.  I'm a transplant to L.A. from Chicago and a longtime pizza fan.  Yes, I'll repeat the cliche, pizza in L.A. sucks.  With a few exceptions.  There is a family from Chicago who has a pizza place, Casa Bianca, in Eagle Rock and they make a very nice Chicago style thin crust.  And also an Italian restaurant called Angelini Osteria which is closer to New York trying to be Neapolitan style.  So the next time you're in L.A., fear not, there are places to eat that will hold you up until you get back to a "real" city.

So, on to my question... I've been out of Chicago for a while and I'm going back over Thanksgiving.  I want to eat 1 great Chicago thin-crust pie and 1 great deep-dish.  So tell me, which pizza establishments are you folks backing these days?

Thanks much.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Best of Chicago, please?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 11:34:43 PM »
Now here's a loaded question that will get a number of different answers...and the great (and confusing) thing is that none of them are wrong!

Thin crust: Aurelio's (Homewood), Home Run Inn (Cicero, daytime is much safer), Vito & Nick's (on Pulaski, SW side near Midway Airport) are great starting places, but there are SO many others.

Deep Dish/stuffed: Critically, it seems that Lou Malnatti's/Pizano's seem to be the most in favor, but those along with the rest of the bigs (the orig Uno/Due, Giordano's, Gino's East, Bacino's) all have their merits. About 5 years ago, the Chicago Tribune did a taste-off of 100+ places, and the winner was a place just north of downtown calld The Art of Pizza.

By the way, you can even find some good deep dish pizzas here in SoCal! Have a great trip!

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:43:44 PM »
an Italian restaurant called Angelini Osteria which is closer to New York trying to be Neapolitan style. 

From this comment it sounds like you may be interested in Neapolitan,so I would sugest you try the relatively new  Spacca Napoli.Here's a link to more in depth info.

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7215&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=spacca&start=30
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline chiguy

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 12:10:31 AM »
 FanGurl,
 RSM Bob knows his Chicago pizza, great recommendations. I will add that there is a new Home Run Inn pizza at about 6200 s. Archer(closer/better neighborhood)close to midway airport. Also there is a fairly new Giordanos( deep dish) on Cicero& 63rd 4 blocks south of the terminal. Also the very famous Palermos(sweet sauce/thin crust) is about  3750 west 63rd st.  IF you are in the south suburbs(Hickory Hills) there is a Vito & Nicks on 95th & Roberts rd as well. Pizanos which has 3 locations is a highly recommended place for both thin and deep dish. There is a down town location around River North. I believe they have a website. Spacca napoli is a new Neopolitan place here is a link that P.F.Taylor started, in reply #11 i give you directions if you choose to take the L-train from downtown.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3522.0.html     
                                                                             Chiguy
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:17:05 PM by chiguy »

Offline johnrbek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 03:42:26 PM »
I'm gonna 2nd Spacca Napoli.... I'm not from Chicago, but travel there quite often and went to Spacca Napoli about a month ago... Awesome pies...  AFIK, VPN..  the Pizzaiolo will chat with about how they brought over italian mason to build the oven (it's a true brick oven, not a pre-fab), they use 00 italian pizza flour and San Marzano tomatoes.. you can order fresh mozz or di buffala... all the pies are typical italian naples style pies with naples style toppings..

Restaurant was pretty busy when we showed up about 8:30pm (not a big place, but not small either)... we were sat immediately...  friendly knowledgeable waiter... all in all a very nice experience..  I would definitely return..

JB

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
Another endorsement of Spacca Napoli.  The owner is a friendly guy who will let you look at his oven.  The pizzas are pretty good (though when i was there they had some issues with Mozzarella water seepage) and the gelato is KILLER. 
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

pizzapan