Author Topic: No Knead Dough  (Read 32238 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: No Knead Dough
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
How do commercial bakeries do these, if not with dutch ovens.  I imagine if they free formed them, they would expand out, instead of up?

The Lahey no knead dough/bread was introduced in a course intended to teach home bakers how to make the bread. I bellieve there was some discussion about commercially producing the bread, but I have not read or seen anything to that effect.

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »
We have been doing this.  Really having a lot of fun.  I think dmun really put it most simply with his instructions.

I do not even bother with this folding out.  I have been literally dumping the batter from bowl directly into pre-heated pot.  It seems to figure its own way to make a nice boule!  I find it too difficult to try to do anything with it when its so wet, and I just end up making a mess and getting raw flour everywhere. 

I don't have a cast iron pot either, just been using the pasta pot.  475 F is working for me also, 500+ is too hot and burns the outside before baking through.

Also have been trying about 90% water with 50% whole wheat flour with very good results too.
Patrick

Offline Davydd

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »
I've done the Mark Bittman no knead method and found it to be awfully complex just to save a little kneading time. Overall it is generally messier too. The no knead method I find very easy to do is the method in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. Their method is simple. For three loaves mix:

3 cups water
1-1/2 tbs IDY
1-1/2 tbs salt
6-1/2 cups all purpose flour

Mix with a spoon until there are no lumps or dry flour in a container with a non-airtight lid, let it rest and rise at room temperature for two hours and then put it in the refrigerator overnight.

When ready to bake, yank or snip off about a third of the dough, form it in a boule by tucking under (do not knead) and place on a peel with corn meal to prevent sticking and let rest for 40 minutes. 20 minutes before bake time pre-heat oven with a baking stone at 450 deg. When ready to bake slide it off the peel onto the stone and add a cup of water to a broiling pan on a rack in the oven under the stone. Bake for 35 minutes. You can also put this same recipe in greased bread pans.

That is their basic demo recipe. From there you can do all sorts of baking. For 6 loaves all you have to remember is 6, 3, 3, 13 for the recipe. The bread dough mix is good for 14 days in the refrigerator. As you use it up you can mix a new batch in the same bowl without cleanup and use the leftover stuck dough to the container as a sourdough starter. Basically cleanup is brushing corn meal and flour off your peel, stone and counter top, and washing the spoon and measuring utensils.

I've got two whole wheat boules in the oven as I am typing this. This whole wheat recipe I used needs to be baked at a lower temperature for a longer time. 350 deg. for 50-60 minutes.
Davydd

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »
There is more on the Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François method at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5978.msg51214.html#msg51214.

Peter

Offline Pizza_Making_Dave

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »
I just made a no knead dough.  It came out great!  I used just a little more water and kept everything else the same in the dough, except for about a quarter of the starter I normally use.  I let it raise for 12 hours, cut and shaped the dough balls and put in refrigerator until ready to use. 

The crust was crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside.  Also, the leoparding was incredible! 

Try it!

Offline Streamer

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »
I know I'm late on the scene...BUT ,,  I'm glad I found this thread.  I'm pretty new here and lovin it !!!!
Made my first No Knead.  Used pizza stone and ceramic crock pot liner.  Worked like Majic !

pizzapan