Author Topic: Review of pizzatools.com 16 in. cutter perf. pan w/PSTK coating.  (Read 1823 times)

Offline bortz

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Review of pizzatools.com 16 in. cutter perf. pan w/PSTK coating.
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:20:25 PM »
I decided to get this pan after thinking that it might be good for thin crust NY style. I got the 16" model with the coating and with postage it came to a little over $30 for the one pan.

I opened the shipping box and immediately noticed that one of the perforation holes was shiny on the outside edge of the perf about 1/16 inch in. A flaw where they forgot to spray the pstk coating perhaps? Or maybe a mandrell of some sort goes through that one hole while they spray the coating? Well for 30 bucks I had the wife call and find out what the deal was and if it would cause crust sticking in that one uncoated ring.  The rep from Lloyd's said that was normal and sticking shouldn't be an issue. It was part of the mfg. process. So why not coat the bare hole after the pstk oven bake on process, i wondered. She was right though, it's just cosmetics and the pstk is wonderful. This coating is a lot better than my usual calphalon teflon coated perf pan.

So I made a pizza on this new pan last Sunday and it was great at the rim of the pizza but the center of the pie was soggy, not untolerable though.  Since I'm new with this pan, I think I should have gave it about 2 more minutes in my 550 degree oven to get it to perfection.  So I made a mental note for next time that this isn't like the Calphalon pan and it needs extra time to prevent a soggy center.  Therefore, I can't really rate crust quality until I get the bake time correct. Just have to watch the toppings to make sure I don't take it too far and overcompensate. I have some pictures I will try and upload to this thread when time permits. I'll also try and update the thread as I make other pies with this new pan and compare it to the calphalon.

Just so you know, I'm strictly a perf pan guy. Tried other things like screens and deep dish pans, baking sheets and it's the old faithful Calphalon perf pan for me.

Offline smokeyglass

• I Love Pizza, Barbeque and Glass!
Re: Review of pizzatools.com 16 in. cutter perf. pan w/PSTK coating.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:01:15 PM »
Did you experiment any more with this pan?  This was one of the pans I was looking at for baking a "stuffed pizza"

I don't use pans for regular pizzas, as we have a wood fired pizza oven and they bake on the bricks, so am trying to research the best pan for stuffed crust.  We like the bottom crispy as well as the top of the crust. 
Jeanette B

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Review of pizzatools.com 16 in. cutter perf. pan w/PSTK coating.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:57:55 PM »
Hi Bortz

Do you have any thoughts of using a coated pan at that heat??

I use one occasionally and think about the coating every time

pizzapan