Author Topic: Dried mushrooms (Porcinis and boletes)  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Dried mushrooms (Porcinis and boletes)
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:05:18 PM »
Man, those things smell good!

I realize that there is a thread about mushrooms, but wanted to start a new thread especifically about dried shrooms.

How do you guys rehydrate them?  Does anybody know if Difara´s uses fresh porcinis or dried-rehydrated porcinis?

Thanks for sharing your mushroom knowhow.
Jon
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dried mushrooms (Porcinis and boletes)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:18:05 PM »
John,

I recently dried over 60 pounds of porcinis (boletus edulis). They are not so dry that they break when bent. These get re-hydrated in hot water for about 1 minute - mainly to wash off any dirt. I then saute them for about 30 seconds. These have a very delicate flavor that is easily cooked off. I make sure they are under the cheese when baking so they don't burn. They go great on white pizza.

Bill/SFNM

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:50:38 AM »
I like dehydrated mushrooms on pizza. I put them into boiling water and then shut it off, wait for anywhere from 30-90 minutes(if in no hurry), and drain.
They have more of an aroma, than taste maybe, if that makes sense. Not tasteless, but the smell is great.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 06:35:09 AM »
Bill- 60 lbs???  WOW!  Do you buy in bulk or grow them yourself?  Seems like yours are semi-dry, therefore they rehydrate a lot faster. The ones I bought are drier than potato chips, and about a third of the porcinis are in crumbs >:(  However, I still manage to make the most out of it- I made some oil infused with porcini.  White pizzas- there´s an idea. I haven´t the courage to make a sauceless pizza, but I´m sure in due time I´ll be experimenting and trying one out.

lilbuddypizza- I agree with you about the aroma.  I thought the smell of the dried porcinis potent and concentrated- like salted cod, or what the portuguese call bacalhau !!! The taste however was quite subtle, but I just sauteed them in olive oil and salt, because I wanted to taste the actual mushroom.

I loved the boletus luteus (Boletes, or Chilean Mushrooms).  These were in big pieces in the package.  They have a great, meaty texture.  I sauteed them in olive oil, a little bit of garlic, truffle oil and salt.  They did leave a dark tinge on the pizza though.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:53:45 AM »
Bill- 60 lbs???  WOW!  Do you buy in bulk or grow them yourself?

They grow wild in the local mountains. There was so much rain this year (after several years of drought) that I could have easily picked a few thousand pounds of perfect specimens.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 08:03:44 AM »
They grow wild in the local mountains.

What country are you in?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 09:25:20 AM »

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 07:26:46 PM »
USA

I think New Mexico must be a particular heaven for gastronomes:

Porcinis grow wild in the mountains
Chili Pepper capital of the world
Good weather for outdoor pizza oven cooking 365 days a year.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 08:42:10 AM »
They grow wild in the local mountains. There was so much rain this year (after several years of drought) that I could have easily picked a few thousand pounds of perfect specimens.

Bill/SFNM
You are killing me.
 ;DThat would be a dream come true for me.......

pizzapan