Author Topic: Window Paning  (Read 2877 times)

Offline sqpixels

• experiments
Window Paning
« on: November 09, 2006, 04:03:19 AM »
I've made pizza twice and just made my third last night (the dough is resting in the fridge).

The first time, I didn't do the window pane test - didn't know what it was and *GOD FORBID* used a rolling pin to roll my pizza out! *Haha!*

The second time it all went well, didn't know what autolysing was so I didn't do that... I couldn't window pane successfully after making the dough, but after resting in the fridge for 2 days it window paned - not membrane thin but it stretched quite well.

Last night, I did a 20 minute autolyse and the dough turned out wetter than my previous tries and so my wet kneading seemed pretty successful. I let my dough rest for about 15 minutes but I couldn't window pane.

Is this normal or should I be concerned that it's not window paning at this point? I am guessing it will probably window pane well when I make the pizza this weekend.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Window Paning
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 05:26:14 AM »

Is this normal or should I be concerned that it's not window paning at this point? I am guessing it will probably window pane well when I make the pizza this weekend.

Remember pizza isn't bread (unless you like a bready crust). For highly-hydrated doughs like the Neapolitan-style ones that I make, the window-pane test is not a good indicator; I don't knead nearly that long. After a  long and slow ferment/proof, the dough develops the right amount of gluten. You don't say whether you liked the latest result - that's all that matters.

Bill/SFNM 

Offline sqpixels

• experiments
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 05:35:30 AM »
I did actually, but I was so dumb and used a different type of baking paper that wasn't non-stick so the whole pizza stuck to it... which pretty much ruined the whole process of enjoying it.

Otherwise... I quite liked it.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 05:41:51 AM »
Otherwise... I quite liked it.

So at this point, I would freeze all other variables and adjust the amount of time you are kneading to see if more of less will give a better result. The goal isn't to come with a precise amount of time for kneading since each batch will be different. Your goal should be to recognize the cues - how the dough looks and feels.

Bill/SFNM