Author Topic: anyone used the flour with the baking soda and salt already in there?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline madpainter

• I Love Pizza!
    • www.tshirtsandpaint.com
hi all :), i bought the flour with the baking soda and salt in there already any one ever use it? any drawbacks when using it? not trying to be annoying just curious :)

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: anyone used the flour with the baking soda and salt already in there?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »
Hey Madpainter;

I have never used flour with baking soda and salt already in it.  In fact, I have never made a pizza with baking soda in the recipe........I have always used yeast and like the results.  I also want to be the one that decides on the amount of salt (from none to a lot) I use in my recipes.......These are just my thoughts - for what they are worth ;D
Buffalo

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 02:13:39 PM »
Isn't that considered cake flour? I would be afraid to use baking powder/soda in my pizza dough.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 01:05:57 AM »
There is a product called WRISE that uses a combination of baking soda and SALP (sodium aluminum phosphate). It is a chemical leavening system that is activated when the pizza reaches a specified oven temperature. The principal applications are take-and-bake pizzas and frozen pizzas (e.g., bake-to-rise pizzas like DiGiorno's). In both cases, yeast is also used.

Peter

Offline John39840

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 01:44:39 AM »
There is a product called WRISE that uses a combination of baking soda and SALP (sodium aluminum phosphate). It is a chemical leavening system that is activated when the pizza reaches a specified oven temperature. The principal applications are take-and-bake pizzas and frozen pizzas (e.g., bake-to-rise pizzas like DiGiorno's). In both cases, yeast is also used.

Peter

Yeah, I've seen a few frozen supermarket brand pizzas do this. They'll also deep freeze before any rise, so you get an extra nice oven spring. Otherwise, prepared frozen pizza dough tends to go flat after a while. Leaveners taste good for things like cakes, brownies, and cookies; but I'm not so sure about pizza.