Author Topic: Oven temp  (Read 2418 times)

Offline eric22

• I Love Pizza!
Oven temp
« on: November 09, 2006, 04:39:53 PM »
I can't make a good pizza at temps below 550-600 degrees.

I use AP flour.  So maybe that is the reason I can't make an AP flour pizza at lower temps.

I can't get higher than 550 on my oven. What is the best temp for a pizza. I heard nap. pizza is like 800 degrees. :o

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Oven temp
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »
Hi eric22

I use AP ( all purpose ) flour all the time, as it's what is available to me.  I crank my oven to its highest temp,
which is just over 500 degree F.

I make great pizzas for the most part, and you should be able to also.

I guess you would have to elaborate on what your dough recipe is, how long you ferment it before
making it, and how you actually bake it.  - do you use a pizza stone ? , do you use a pizza screen ?

I have many images posted ( check my posts ) and you'll see results of what you can do with a regular
ol' oven  ;D

Don't dispair, practice, practice, practice.

If you have a digital camera, the next time you make a pizza, snap a few images of it, and post for them here
for us in this thread, and then some of the guys can make better judgements about what you may be doing wrong.

Hope that helps a tiny bit.  Somethings I find that just a helping hand and some cheering on from friends here on the
forum is all you need to get your spirits up, and getting you going on trying to make better pizzas !  :chef:
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 04:54:04 PM »
Get some KASL High gluten flour.  The best I've found.  Call Dutch Valley Food  1-717-933-4191, Item 142053   $17.84 plus shipping for 50#.  You will love it.  I bake at 475 Degrees.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 04:57:36 PM »
Are you saying that you can make good pizza at higher temps?
--pat--

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 04:58:19 PM »
Other things to note...

If you are using an electric oven it's very possible you have a faulty element.  Get a new one and replace the old - it's easy:
http://www.ehow.com/how_112247_fix-electric-oven.html

When I use my electric oven I preheat for 1 hour and have a $5-7 temp gauge in the oven to assure me of the temp.

I agree with the KASL comment.  Your pizza should take 8 minutes in a home oven at 500/550 degrees.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:06:52 PM »
Yeah that's a good point.  That's a good way to know if you oven is working correctly ( really as hot as the temp
controller on the stop says it is ) ....

Some of my pizzas are done in 6 mins, a 12" or so pizza is about 8 mins, and by 9 minutes, it's almost burnt.  Its amazing
how 60 seconds at that temp can change a pizza so drastically.

Keep that in mind when you do your next pie -- take note of how long yours takes to be done.

Your pizza should take 8 minutes in a home oven at 500/550 degrees.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 09:35:52 PM »
eric22,

I suggest you record everything you do from starting to make the dough to when the finished pizza comes out of the oven. I used to make good pizza but it was not consistent because of variables that I never thought about. For example I once over mixed my dough and killed the gluten structure. Now the only times my pizza isn't great is when an experiment does not work as intended. The more information you are able to provide about what goes into your pizza, the more we will be able to help.

Michael

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:47:32 PM »

I use AP flour.  So maybe that is the reason I can't make an AP flour pizza at lower temps.

I can't get higher than 550 on my oven. What is the best temp for a pizza. I heard nap. pizza is like 800 degrees. :o

Eric,

There is no one temperature that's best for pizza.  Higher temperatures (around 800F) is ideal for neapolitan pizza.  If you've got an oven that maxes out 550, you should try high-gluten flour.  The higher protein content will help the dough brown better at that temp.

You'll definitely be able to make a good pizza at 550-600F.

-Raj

Offline eric22

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »
No guys. I make real good pizza at high temps.

Can't make any at low temp -400 .

I need to try high protein but there is none at the grocery store.

Offline syed

• I Love Pizza!
    • Pizza Recipe
Oven temp
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 12:40:30 AM »
hi

i just suggest high temp without high temp we can't make delicious pizza its my concern
any body agree with if no give some suggession

thanks

syed :)

pizzapan