Author Topic: Hobbies? what you do for fun.  (Read 4391 times)

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
Hobbies? what you do for fun.
« on: November 11, 2006, 08:30:49 AM »
We have a age & location thread & a what you do thread, How about hobbies?
Mine are: pizza making, cooking, Drag racing, breaking & repairing Jeep's,
RC helecopters, beer tasting/drinking,[;)] model railroading, astronomy, collecting classic toys, playing music, giving advice. In my younger: days water sking, & motorcycle racing.

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: Hobbies? what you do for fun.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 07:32:09 PM »
Pizza making.
Homebrewing.
Cooking.
Biking.
Running.
Woodworking.
Lydia (my one-year old).
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline shango

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:36:01 PM »
collecting vinyl records (anybody got any original Misfits for sale?)
building and painting models (yeah, like the 40 year old virgin)
pizza
listening to music
myspace
hassling my friends, strangers, co-workers too.
uh....
Thought there were more but maybe no.

all the best,
-E

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:34:17 AM »
I wouldn't necessarily count them as hobbies because I don't allocate time for them, but I enjoy golf and camping when the opportunity arises.  My avocation is fulfilling and enjoyable, so I spend most of my time working.  Since I'm a chronic insomniac, that translates to about 19 hours a day of occupational fun, with the providential profession pausing properly proportioned pizza perfection pushing public posting process.

- red.november

Offline OZZIEPIE

• CRIKEY..LOOK OUT FOR THAT BASE
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:23:30 AM »
heavily into rotary motorsports aswell as engine development 8)
ITS ALL ABOUT THE FLAVOUR GUYS

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 01:15:24 PM »
in terms of time not at work, trying to keep up with a one and three year old... !!

past that when there is time...

exercise
radio control airplanes
some loudspeaker building
and definitely cooking.

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:58:41 PM »
I guess that I have quite a lot... They include:

Cooking (primarily Italian, Mexican and Danish dishes)
Literature and poetry (primarily 18th century)
Bonsai
Tobacco and pipe smoking
Role playing games
Computer art and programming
Listening to and playing various keyboard music
Film (favorites are Lynch, Polanski and Von Trier)

Offline bolabola

• extra crispy please
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:49:52 AM »
my passion is food..so cooking is a must as is pizza..
I'm also a pretty good vegi gardener..
I also like growing a wide variety of herbs..
I use to make champagne and beer but with a bad back can't manage that anymore..
I play some guitar and piano..
I don't think you can call this a hobby but watching football is way up there..
that and movies..
BB
Pizza Rocks

Offline Andx0r

• Your Mega-Host
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 06:34:01 PM »
-Working on cars
-watching motorsport and boxing
-eating too much
-gardening

Offline Finnegans Wake

• De gustibus non est disputandum.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 01:07:53 PM »
I consider being a curmudgeon a round-the-clock hobby.  I'm a bit young to be a cranky old coot, but I figure that if I want to be a crusty old codger in the classic mold, best to start now.  Groan slightly getting out of bed, mumble and grumble about everything until the first cup of coffee, then begin to form words into semi-coherent thoughts typically centered on "those dad-burned kids today" or "the gummamint."  It's important to let the ear hair and eyebrow hair bush out to the max, to write letters to the editor about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and to fall back on those golden gems about how life was "back in the old days."

I've recently perfected the art of the incomplete reply.  Like when my wife tells me For pity's sake, Finny, you're too young to be an old coot, you're only 42, I'll shoot her a look suggesting she's just told me to eat rat feces and say Why don't you just...  Other such sentences include For the love of..., Why must you...?, and Do you ever stop...?

Predictably, I've had to alter my participation in other hobbies.  It wouldn't do to be involved with any physical activity more taxing than putting on slippers, and my passion for writing and reading has given way to quaffing tumblers of bourbon and Scotch as I moan about Lawrence Welk not coming in on the old rabbit ears (having told those dad-burned cable and dish companies the truth about being part of the conspiracy to rob us Americans of our souls and our wallets).   I enjoy a 4:00 p.m. dinner and going to bed by 8:00.  As a curmudgeon in training I am, like my more gernotologically advanced peers, given free rein to let loose a barrage of gas in public places, such as the supermarket.  People hear what sounds like an elk being ripped in half, and gradually they begin dispersing from the aisle where I consider the benefits of Shredded Wheat versus Kashi, whispering vague sentiments about me Not being right.

I root for football teams that haven't existed in ages, like the Steagles.  If asked, I will swear that our sitting President is Harry S. Truman, and will further make up any outrage against reality I can think of at the moment, like Truman's middle initial standing for Stanislaus.  I have no worries about terrorism, because it's the Commies we've lost sight of, just you watch and see if I'm wrong.  And I wax poetic about life events that happened to someone else, like being at the Iwo flag raising.   I have no compunction whatsoever about programmatically shortchanging retail salespeople five dollars a crack, and then pretending not to hear or understand them, until their lines get too long and they wave me through just to get things going.

I wear black socks and sandals, and have invested heavily in plaids of the screamingest contrast. 

So maybe it's not so much a hobby as a way of life, but you hippie whippersnappers had best get in line or I'll...
Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. --
Mark Twain

Offline Campy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 01:44:02 PM »
I consider being a curmudgeon a round-the-clock hobby.  I'm a bit young to be a cranky old coot, but I figure that if I want to be a crusty old codger in the classic mold, best to start now.  Groan slightly getting out of bed, mumble and grumble about everything until the first cup of coffee, then begin to form words into semi-coherent thoughts typically centered on "those dad-burned kids today" or "the gummamint."  It's important to let the ear hair and eyebrow hair bush out to the max, to write letters to the editor about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and to fall back on those golden gems about how life was "back in the old days."

I've recently perfected the art of the incomplete reply.  Like when my wife tells me For pity's sake, Finny, you're too young to be an old coot, you're only 42, I'll shoot her a look suggesting she's just told me to eat rat feces and say Why don't you just...  Other such sentences include For the love of..., Why must you...?, and Do you ever stop...?

Predictably, I've had to alter my participation in other hobbies.  It wouldn't do to be involved with any physical activity more taxing than putting on slippers, and my passion for writing and reading has given way to quaffing tumblers of bourbon and Scotch as I moan about Lawrence Welk not coming in on the old rabbit ears (having told those dad-burned cable and dish companies the truth about being part of the conspiracy to rob us Americans of our souls and our wallets).   I enjoy a 4:00 p.m. dinner and going to bed by 8:00.  As a curmudgeon in training I am, like my more gernotologically advanced peers, given free rein to let loose a barrage of gas in public places, such as the supermarket.  People hear what sounds like an elk being ripped in half, and gradually they begin dispersing from the aisle where I consider the benefits of Shredded Wheat versus Kashi, whispering vague sentiments about me Not being right.

I root for football teams that haven't existed in ages, like the Steagles.  If asked, I will swear that our sitting President is Harry S. Truman, and will further make up any outrage against reality I can think of at the moment, like Truman's middle initial standing for Stanislaus.  I have no worries about terrorism, because it's the Commies we've lost sight of, just you watch and see if I'm wrong.  And I wax poetic about life events that happened to someone else, like being at the Iwo flag raising.   I have no compunction whatsoever about programmatically shortchanging retail salespeople five dollars a crack, and then pretending not to hear or understand them, until their lines get too long and they wave me through just to get things going.

I wear black socks and sandals, and have invested heavily in plaids of the screamingest contrast. 

So maybe it's not so much a hobby as a way of life, but you hippie whippersnappers had best get in line or I'll...
Brother? Is that you Brother?

Offline 3.14159265 Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 01:28:46 PM »
Cooking (which means eating)
College football (GO MSU!)
Music (writing/recording my own music)
BBQing (is that the same as cooking?)
Mixing/drinking cocktails (Old Fashioned, Godfather, Mai Tai/tiki drinks)
Chasing after a 2 year old and an 8 year old

Offline bourbon69

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 03:37:22 PM »
I love to cook
play guitar
woodworking
guns

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 09:37:09 PM »
Taking care of my 3 yr old
Spell checking my wifes papers for her Masters
Cooking all foods
Researching just about anything
Shooting my Glock
Camping
Reminiscing with my Marine Corps friends
Adam

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 10:17:21 PM »
My hobbies include:

Pizza making - very fun.
I'm a homebrewer ( I make beer from grain like the commercial breweries )
I'm a wine maker also ( but only once a year )

I also bought a brand new RC plane 2 years ago, which I have never flown.  I bought every gizmo to go with it
also, and have almost decided now to sell it all ( my plane is a NextStar )

I love to watch the guys fly the RC helis, amazing to watch, scary at the same time, but they always amaze me with
their awesome power, speed, and how graceful they can be.

You can see my homebrew bar here:
www.detroitgrillking.com/frosty/frostybar
( all of my keg fridges hold 5 gallon kegs of homebrew ) ( my 4 tap keggorator holds 4 kegs @ 5 gallons )

I love one sport too - and that's tennis :-)

We have a age & location thread & a what you do thread, How about hobbies?
Mine are: pizza making, cooking, Drag racing, breaking & repairing Jeep's,
RC helecopters, beer tasting/drinking,[;)] model railroading, astronomy, collecting classic toys, playing music, giving advice. In my younger: days water sking, & motorcycle racing.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline SemperFi

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 10:56:41 PM »
RC planes are great. I would love though to have a HO scale model train layout like I did as a kid.  Boy that was some good times.  I could spend hours in that world.
Adam

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 12:20:35 PM »
Our two kids,
Weekend Warrior Assistant Ski Patrol Director,
Old Triumph Cars (TR3 & TR8) - I'm required by the Mrs. to have at least one running at all times, even as they undergo rolling restorations,
Expanding our Lionel O-Gage layout from two 4x8 tables to three 4x8 tables with my 11 year old,
Dragging kids to/from swimming meets and ski races,
Did I mention my kids and their activities?
Did I mention the Realtor wife, so if I don't cook, we're eating out?  Gotta love those fermenting dough balls in the fridge.  In all seriousness, I love the whole cold dough retard thing, as I can make my doughs late one night, and I have a whole week to use them.
Researching and fending off requests for RC devices from my son,
Last, but not least, keeping our home multiple computer network and server running like a top for four power users - YIKES!

While some of it may sound like griping, except for getting dinner on the table every night, it's all Great!

jack

Offline SemperFi

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »
Our two kids,
Weekend Warrior Assistant Ski Patrol Director,
Old Triumph Cars (TR3 & TR8) - I'm required by the Mrs. to have at least one running at all times, even as they undergo rolling restorations,
Expanding our Lionel O-Gage layout from two 4x8 tables to three 4x8 tables with my 11 year old,
Dragging kids to/from swimming meets and ski races,
Did I mention my kids and their activities?
Did I mention the Realtor wife, so if I don't cook, we're eating out?  Gotta love those fermenting dough balls in the fridge.  In all seriousness, I love the whole cold dough retard thing, as I can make my doughs late one night, and I have a whole week to use them.
Researching and fending off requests for RC devices from my son,
Last, but not least, keeping our home multiple computer network and server running like a top for four power users - YIKES!

While some of it may sound like griping, except for getting dinner on the table every night, it's all Great!

jack

Boy, and I thought I was busy with just my one Angel!  O scale is awesome if you have the room.
Adam

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 01:38:24 PM »
Boy, and I thought I was busy with just my one Angel!  O scale is awesome if you have the room.

Wait until your three year old gets older, and. . . .

Kids work on the square rule:
One kids is one kid
Two kids is like having four kids around
Three kids is like having nine kids around
etc., which is why we stopped at two.

My wife is a Saint.  The train setup is in the living room from Thanksgiving through April.  She says "Letting the three of you (me and the two kids) set the trains up in the living room secures my place in Heaven", and she is probably right.  Once spring hits though, we seperate the three tables, pack everything up, and put it all away for the summer.  I proposed, and my wife had accepted us expanding to four, 4x8 tables, but the pesky piano got in the way.  I just could not find a way to make that fourth table fit without protruding into the dining room or hall, so we had to quit at three. <grin>

O-Gage is so much easier with kids.  It's big and not inexpensive, but as a five year old, my son could get the trains back on the track by himself.  Now he is 11 and I plan on letting him wire up all of the devices, although I may check them before we power them up.

My wife is a city girl and won't let me have a Glock or equal in the house, although I'll be pressing her soon, so the kids can learn to respect and handle them safely.

Jack

Offline SemperFi

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 01:44:52 PM »
I can't wait to introduce trains to my daughter.  Its funny, I think that it was either Steve or Pete-zza stated that there was a woman who made a cross on her dough, for could be many reasons....and it had me thinking when my daughter helps me cook.  By the way, she loves it and I think all kids should bond with their family that way.  But anyway, after the dough comes out of the workbowl, she cuddles the dough ball and gives it a lil kiss to ensure that it will rise.  I think that its the cutest thing, and makes me happy that she respects the food.  Adam
Adam

pizzapan