Author Topic: Caputo flour for sale (small quantities) south SF Bay Area/peninsula  (Read 1953 times)

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.  Please let me know if this is not appropriate as I intend this offer as a way to give back to what I think is just a fantastic forum.  Many thanks from me (and my family) for improving my pizza making in such a short time!

I've bought a 25KG bag of Caputo flour from the Chef's Wearhouse online
(http://www.chefswarehouse.com/Catalog/DisplayDetail.aspx?prd_id=GF234)
I know 25 KG is about 50 lbs.  I have gone through 25 lb bags before but I'm thinking 50 lbs might just be too much for me.  I end up giving away too many pizzas (kids in the neighborhood know me a Pizza Dude, like in the Higglytown Heroes...   ;D).  I'm willing to part with 20 or so pounds.  Including shipping, it's coming to me at about $1.31/lb but I let any other forum members have it at $1/lb, local pickup only.  PM me if you are interested.  Flour is due to arrive on Oct 31st, Halloween.   >:D

Along similar lines, anyone know where I can get a 7# block of Grande whole milk mozz in the south Bay?  Whole foods and Andronico's sell cut up portions but I think they are a bit dried out (over aged) compared to what I got from PennMacCo, and even that I think was not shipped well (3rd day overnight shipping).  I've tried to buy bulk at WF and Andronico's but anyone I talk to is reluctant.

Speaking of PennMacCo, I wish you had an option for local airport pickup!  The cheese I had sent to me arrived at the San Jose airport in less than 24 hours, then spent two subsequent days travelling to Oakland, back to Sunnyvale and then out to my house.  Also the shipping prices are just too much!    :o  Shame, 'cause I lived in Pittsburgh for 4 years and used to walk by PennMacCo all the time.  That was before I moved to pizza-deprived Californa...  That's another story altogether though.   :'(

Thanks!

Joe
PizzaJoe

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Caputo flour for sale (small quantities) south SF Bay Area/peninsula
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »
pizza joe, check out the boars head mozzarella.  You should be able to find it there.

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »
pizza joe, check out the boars head mozzarella.  You should be able to find it there.

Hi Scott,

I'm confused, do you mean that Boar's Head re-sells Grande or that they make a mozz that is as good as (or better) than Grande?

I see Boar's Head all over Andronico's, haven't noticed any mozz though.  I have tried Polly-O per the board recommendation but have found it to lack a bit of the creamy-ness that the Grande has.  Even my 2 year old daughter can tell the difference!   (Da-dee, I want gud cheeze!)  :D

Thanks!

Joe

P.S. Want any flour?   :P
PizzaJoe

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 02:41:28 PM »
Boars head is not grande, but you should try it.

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 04:03:33 PM »
Boars head is not grande, but you should try it.

Thanks Scott, will do!
PizzaJoe

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 06:02:37 PM »
FYI, I think I have a taker for my flour overpurchase.  I'll repost if otherwise.

Cheers.
PizzaJoe

Offline cra z piemaker

• I Like Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 06:37:23 PM »
hopeing to find someone(s) up here in Sonoma county to team up to buy a sack of caputo oo and split cost 50 lbs kinda too much to use in a few months
If I keep practicin' I'll get fat

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 12:58:56 PM »
What's the difference between the blue, red, regular, gnocchi formulations of Caputo flour? There are at least 4 different types on that website www.chefswarehouse.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 01:08:51 PM »
DNA Dan,

See Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3456.msg29283.html#msg29283. To the best of my knowledge, the gnocchi flour is for making pasta, such as gnocchi.

Peter

pizzapan