Author Topic: Dough hook sticking and preparation  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
Dough hook sticking and preparation
« on: November 15, 2006, 06:27:30 PM »
I tired an experiment or two on my KA spiral dough hook in an effort to reduce the chance of the dough sticking to the hook. 

First, I polished up the working area of the dough hook, using a green Scotch Brand scrub pad, until it looked almost like it was chromed.  This polishing takes all of the minor surface imperfections out of the Aluminum and provides a slick surface, which I hoped would minimize dough sticking.  While I never had particularly bad sticking, I donít believe the polishing make much of an improvement in reducing the sticking.  This was not a major concern, as it would be a lot of work keeping the hook well polished and I was hoping the solution would be what I perceived as the next logical step, as documented below.

I used the hook for several weeks, only cleaning it with soap and water; no abrasive cleaning at all.  This allowed the Aluminum oxide coating (that grayish blotchy coating on any raw aluminum) to build until it completely and uniformly covered the dough hook.  This coating, over the highly polished aluminum, seems to help keep my dough from sticking to the hook.

I spent about half an hour, working the scotch pad over the hook to polish it up.  I have not found much difference between oiling, or not oiling, the hook before I start mixing, but do anyway.  I hope that this might help someone else. 

Jack, like several others on the forum, a Pizza baking Enginerd

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
Re: Dough hook sticking and preparation
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:15:59 AM »
I've tried flouring the hook and oil and usually end up just stopping every minute or so and pulling the dough off the hook.  Another thing I'll do when I'm lazy is turn the speed way up on the mixer so it throws the dough off the hook, but I'm sure this isn't good for the motor in the mixer.

The best thing I've found is to make a bigger batch of dough.  One batch I made a few weeks ago was six cups of flour.  I think that worked better than the normal batch size I make (3 cups).  The hook ended up going through the dough more and the dough wasn't sticking to the hook much at all.  I also used the slowest speed setting.
- Lido