Author Topic: Pizza Dough Concerns  (Read 1284 times)

Offline bubbles

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza Dough Concerns
« on: November 14, 2006, 02:36:35 PM »
I have been using the same dough recipie for many years. But since I have been observing this site and other peoples dough results, I am beggining to question my dough recipie. I don't own a good scale so my ingrediants are as follows.

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. fleichmans bread machine yeast

I generally use my bread machine to need my dough and then seperate it into three balls. I then put them in freezer bags and put in the fridge for 24 to 72 hours. I am using basic pizza pans without a stone although I do own one. I bake at 425 deg. for twenty minutes. The pizza comes out well cooked and brown but the crust is bread like in consistancy. I know that there are methods including higher heats and the use of stones, screens etc. But before I venture in that area I wonder if my recipie will hold up to more advanced methods?

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Pizza Dough Concerns
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 02:58:29 PM »
Hi bubbles and welcome to the group  :D

For every person you ask, you will get a slighty different answer.  There are so many recipes out there, and everyone
like something different.

I see nothing wrong with your recipe.  I don't really thing a recipe can ever by "wrong" unless somebody is totally out of bounds
with an ingredient or 2. 

Since you are using a bread machine, I won't suggest you lower your amount of yeast as I have never used a bread machine,
however, if you were doing your dough in a mixer, I could say you can drop your yeast by 1/2, and save some money, and make
very good pizza. 

I used to bake all my pizzas at 425 a long time ago.  I now bake at my oven's highest temp, and my pizzas are done in 7- 8 minutes
MAXIMUM.

What I would suggest is this, take your recipe, and keep it the way it is, but the next time you bake your pizza, turn the oven to 475 degrees,
and try that out.  You will like the pizza better I think.  It will be done faster, and the texture will seem better.

That's where I would start. 

If you change everything at once, then you will never see your technique evolve.  You'll never know if you got better because of one thing
or another thing, so that would be a place to start.

If somebody on the forum uses a bread machine, they may be able to offer you some tips on using your bread machine when making the dough.

Oh and seeing you have a pizza stone, try it out once, you will be amazed at the results.

You will need a pizza peel ( paddle ) to get the pizza onto the stone, and off of it, once it is done however.  If you already have
the peel then you are ready to dive into it  8)

Your recipe will stand up fine to higher temps, and also baking on a pizza stone.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Dough Concerns
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 03:35:42 PM »
bubbles,

I recently wrote about some of the challenges in using bread machines to make pizza dough at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4100.msg34288/topicseen.html#msg34288 (Reply 12). Maybe you can get some insights from that post.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 04:08:44 PM by Pete-zza »

pizzapan