Author Topic: Settebello / Las Vegas - simple question, how close is it?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline youonlylivetwice

Settebello / Las Vegas - simple question, how close is it?
« on: November 14, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »
Hi, went to Settebellos while in Las Vegas recently.
It has the VPN designation.... my question is how close is it to the Naples pizzas so often discussed on this site?
also, how much variation can there be and still carry the VPN designation?  ie to quantify it, if the truest Naples pizza is a 10, can you stray much farther than a solid 8 or 9 on a 1 to 10 scale?

thanks.......!

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Settebello / Las Vegas - simple question, how close is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »
Well, without commenting on settebello as I never tried it, The VPN certification in US, in my opinion, doesn't guarantee anything closer then a 2....

Basically a VPN certified in US may have a prefab oven (wrong as it would be a must to have a proper Neapolitan one to obtain an authentic Pizza Napoletana), may use a planetary mixer (again wrong as the planetary mixer do not mix the dough as it should and therefore compromise the final product which would not be the authentic one), most do not know how to flatten the dough Neapolitan styles, which again results in the final product being different....

Again, some members in US may score as high as 8-9, but I would bet that is more due to their own commitment then following the poor VPN US guidelines....

Ciao

PS I am reading all sort of incorrect things regarding Neapolitan pizza, and even more so lately on this forum....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:21:43 AM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 09:24:13 AM »
Interesting....
I walked in with a completely different bend on things, I typically go in not expecting the product to conform to any certain expectations, I am just there to see if I like it and why.
In the case of Settebello though I thought  it to be something of a standard that, whether I liked it or not, represented very closely the Neapolitan style.
As you say, this is not to say it is or isn't as I don't know, but it is interesting that in your opinion even the VPN designation can mean dramatic departures from what would be considered the truest Neapolitan pizza.
oh well, maybe some day a tour of Italy?

YOLT

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 05:34:36 PM »
Hey Yolt,
We are trying to do everything possible to make as authentic a napoletana pizza as possible.  We are also trying to continually learn and improve ourselves everyday.  People all have their own tastes and many Americans do not care for the napoletana style (ie Ed Levine) and I have no problem with that.
I don't want to get much into the VPN, but I agree with what Marco has said.  The VPN designation is what the pizzeria owner makes of it.  If you just want the designation for a little PR and marketing you can do that.   I am trying to take it as seriously as possible in recreating an authentic pizza.  I don't think it is just a problem with VPN in America.  I have eaten at several VPN's in Napoli that do not seem to be striving for an authentic product.  That being said, at least they use a proper oven and mixer which is more than can be said for a large number of the VPNs here in the States. 

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 08:35:37 AM »
Hey Brad,
thanks for the reply and don't get me wrong.  Settebello was an entirely different experience for me, as it will be when I intend to get to Bianco in Phoenix next month.  Even amongst the best NY pizza places, I still can't help but boil it down personally to "do I like it or not".  But with your place I walked in prepared not to evaluate the product against my likes, but simply to see what a pizza made within the guidelines of the VPN was like. 
Afterward, I got to thinking about how much latitude you would have to assume could exist between the truest neapolitan pie and any given VPN  designation place.  I really did not intend any of the comment as directed to Settebello specifically.  It sounds like you do agree with Marco that generally VPN should not lead someone to believe this is as it is in Naples. 
All the same, I really enjoyed my trip to your place, and I'll be back that way in April and will be in again ( maybe a couple times....)
thanks!
YOLT

Offline pizzaman383

• Passionate About Pizza Cookbook
    • Passionate About Pizza Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 05:47:13 PM »
What is the proper mixer to use?
Author - Passionate About Pizza: Making Great Homemade Pizza

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 12:51:31 AM »
Thanks Yolt, make sure you introduce yourself.

There are mainly three mixers that pizzerias in Napoli use.
Spiral, fork and diving arm.  A planetary mixer is not used.
Of the three, from what I was taught and from what I have seen, the two best mixers are the diving arm and the fork mixer then a spiral mixer.
At the pizzeria here we use a spiral mixer from Italy.  Once we get a little busier we will get a fork mixer.  We are in the process of opening another pizzeria in Salt Lake City and we are starting with a fork mixer at that one. 
From what I have seen so far a fork mixer does indeed make a big difference. 

Of the 15 or so VPN's here in the US I would venture to say that 8-10 of them use a planetary mixer.  I know that Via Tribunale in Seattle has a diving arm mixer.  That is the only non planetary mixer I have seen.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:54:46 AM by sumeri »

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 05:56:33 AM »
Bettola in Birmingham has the KING of the Mixers, the rolls royce/ferrari of the Fork mixers. Roberto's also used that mixer at his old location and can only assume that he took it with him in NJ.

On a side note, I once did a survey of 12-15 pizzeria in Naples to report back on an Italian forum.

the vast majority (and all the traditional ones) used a fork mixer (in 3 cases it was over 40 years old), a minority used a diving arm (better for bakeries) and 1 only had a cheap spiral mixer. In term of cost, from the same brand for example, a diving arms would be the more expensive, then straight after you would find the fork (italian version not like the french one) and then much cheaper, a spiral.

Ciao

pizzapan