Author Topic: Looking for an outlet near Alaska for Caputo Rinforzato Rosso or Pizzeria flour  (Read 1584 times)

Offline iceman06

• Extra Anchovies Please !
Newbie here folks and trying hard to find sources that ship to Alaska. I am still having a tough time locating anyone that can supply the Rinforzato Rosso, or the Pizzeria flour up here. I had pizza made with both at a friends house in the lower 48 and got hooked on the texture and flavor it had. Anyone have a source they trust? :chef: Thanks, Patrick

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
Welcome to my world. I have the same problems with trying to get good ingredients as they just aren't available up here. If you're in Anchorage, you might want to ask Natural Pantry if they can special order some flour for you. They're the only retail store where I've found even one of the flours discussed here, Giusto's Organic High Gluten flour. Not what you're looking for, obviously. The only other thing I can think of would be to call L'aroma's Bakery at Sagaya's grocery store and ask what type of flour they use in their Neapolitan pizza's. They're the only place I can think of that uses a wood-burning oven to cook their pies. Speaking of ovens, can I ask what type you will be using?

If you have any luck, please post your results.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline AKSteve

• Lifetime Member
  • We are all made from the same dough.
I don't suppose you know a woman named Ann, do you? If not, this is a really weird coincidence. My family owns a small foodservice company in Anchorage and someone just called there today asking about this exact brand of flour. It turns out the supplier we get our canned tomatoes from sells it and I should have a price on Monday. I'm actually going to have them order a bag for myself as well. Is there much of a difference between the Rinforzato Rosso and the Pizzeria flour?

Oh, btw, I just saw your signature and wanted to let you know we sell anchovies as well.  :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Is there much of a difference between the Rinforzato Rosso and the Pizzeria flour?

Steve,

You can get a general idea of the differences between the Caputo flours, including the Rosso and Pizzeria flours, at these posts: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3456.msg29283/topicseen.html#msg29283 (Reply 1), and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2951.msg25328/topicseen.html#msg25328 (Reply 17). Some pizza makers combine the Caputo Rosso flour with other Caputo flours, both in Naples (from what I have read at the Italian pizza forum) and occasionally in the U.S. For example, Charlie Restivo, the chief pizza maker at Naples 45 in NYC (and a member of this forum), combines both the Caputo Rosso and Pizzeria flours.

Peter

Offline iceman06

• Extra Anchovies Please !
I don't suppose you know a woman named Ann, do you? If not, this is a really weird coincidence. My family owns a small foodservice company in Anchorage and someone just called there today asking about this exact brand of flour. It turns out the supplier we get our canned tomatoes from sells it and I should have a price on Monday. I'm actually going to have them order a bag for myself as well. Is there much of a difference between the Rinforzato Rosso and the Pizzeria flour?

Oh, btw, I just saw your signature and wanted to let you know we sell anchovies as well.  :)
I'll be!!! I didn't know Ann was calling around until yesterday. She's the boss lady that puts up with me and our four legged, furry boys that talk funny (woof)! ;D I'd like to get the 10 PK 1KG packages first to try it out. I'll wait to see if Ann gets back in touch with you then I'd like to get with you and place an order. Thanks Steve.
Regards; Patrick

Oh by the way, thanks Pete for the links on the flour. I'm begining to understand now what to look for.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 05:29:46 PM by iceman06 »