Author Topic: My pizza crust is WHITE. No browning at all. Help  (Read 10149 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: My pizza crust is WHITE. No browning at all. Help
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2006, 01:39:24 PM »
That's not to say if Jason can get the top of his pizza hotter than the bottom he won't get a browned crust.

Dan,

There's nothing wrong with suggesting that more heat or a longer bake time will provide a darker crust.  It's obviously possible.  It's just that temporal-thermal adjustments are just another form of dealing with the symptoms of the problem, rather than the problem (assuming others using the same recipe and baking it for the same amount of time at the same temperature don't have this problem, which has been the assumption all along).  Perhaps the easiest way for Jason to get a browner crust is to increase the heat or the time, but he'll have to change his cheese or else it will burn.  It's a crazy scenario.  I'm anxious to see how things have turned out for him.

- red.november

EDIT: By the way, pineapple juice on the crust is a good idea.  I might have mentioned somewhere on this forum that I have a friend who likes pineapple and pepperoni.  The next time I bake him a pizza, I'll see if he likes the pineapple crust.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 01:44:05 PM by November »

Offline DNA Dan

Re: My pizza crust is WHITE. No browning at all. Help
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2006, 02:11:24 PM »
The pineapple juice on the crust was something I picked up from the parlour I used to work at.

They used to keep the pineapple juice from the canned pineapple which was put on as toppings. They would put the juice into the prep table and use it to "lubricate" their hands while applying their raw meats. If you take a chunk of raw sausage, dip it in pineapple juice, your hands don't really stick to it all that much.

Seeing how this gave the pizza a sweeter taste, I suggested to them that they actually rub a little on the actual crust of their more "signature pies". The glazed taste of the crust was fantastic!