Author Topic: Chef Boyardee Frozen Pizza???  (Read 5718 times)

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Chef Boyardee Frozen Pizza???
« on: August 04, 2004, 02:18:17 PM »
Does anyone have this in their area? I live in Chicago and remember going to Michigan and getting it there, in stores.
It's impossible to even get an answer from the Corp., and I would die to get some shipped, if they still exist.
If anyone has info, please respond or e-mail. THANKS!!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:Chef Boyardee Frozen Pizza???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 04:00:42 PM »
I have never heard of it frozen. I remember that Chef Boyardee pizza "kit" that came in a box. It had a pouch of flour that you mixed with water, a can of sauce, and a can of parmesean cheese.  :-X
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Navin Johnson

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 04:41:38 PM »
I've never heard of it frozen either, and I live in Michigan (originally from Grand Rapids, now in Lansing, with a short bit spent in Chicago).

I have fond memories of the Chef Boyardee pizza kits.  When I was a little kid in the '80s my dad would make these every week when Muppets was on and I'd get to eat the pizza while watching the show on one of those midget tv trays.  

Now that I have two little guys of my own I've started getting the chef Boyardee pizzas again.  Too bad there is nothing like the Muppets for them to watch while they eat!  

The pizza is certainly something altogether different than "real" pizza but I still like it, and perhaps for more than sentimental reasons.  (that sauce w/ the little pepperonis, albeit processed, is really good).

Eric

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 11:23:03 PM »
Just reading aoubt the Chef Boyardee Pizza  reminds me of my childhood and some form of frozen pizza that was rectangular, with a quality not unlike the $1 Totino party pizzas. But I cannot remember who made it.

Best Frozen pizza ever was the Deep dish Pappalo's in an aluminum tim before they discontiued it. It was delecious then they just stopped making it I have been searching for years. In the pan they would have a pad of something like butter that melted into the crust and gave it the crunchy good garlic bread taste.
There now I have gone and depressed myself I want a papalos dammit. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

rick baughn

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 07:01:48 PM »
HEY..I DO REMEMBER THOSE PIZZA'S AND WOULD LOVE TO FIND THEM AGAIN...THEY CAME IN SEVERAL SIZES..THE STANDARD PIZZA, AND A 3-4 PACK MINIS...THEY ALL HAD A ROUND OUTTER EDGE THAT LOOKED LIKE IT WAS JUST PLACED ON..
SO..IF ANYBODY HAS INFO, PLEASE SEND IT MY WAY..
ALSO..WWW.TICKTOCKPRODUCTS.COM..HAS ALOT OF OLD FOOD STUFF..THANKS!!

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Re: Chef Boyardee Frozen Pizza???
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 01:09:47 PM »
I had the pizza in 1966. It was round with a very slight edge, the sauce was more stew flavored than Italian and the size was about 10 inches. It had the texture of cardboard. 

Offline bbear

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 12:27:09 AM »
Best Frozen pizza ever was the Deep dish Pappalo's in an aluminum tim before they discontiued it.

Man those were great! I used to eat those almost every day. Then one day the woman at the grocery store told me they quit making them. I bought the 20 or so they had left, and then they were gone. The crust had a great flavor. I would love to have the recipe for that. Not just the best frozen pizza, but some of the tastiest I've ever had.

Offline wolfsblood07

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 02:15:47 PM »
Does anyone have this in their area? I live in Chicago and remember going to Michigan and getting it there, in stores.
It's impossible to even get an answer from the Corp., and I would die to get some shipped, if they still exist.
If anyone has info, please respond or e-mail. THANKS!!

I grew up in Detroit in the seventies and I unfortunately never saw the Chef Boyardee frozen pizza.  I think it was popular in the 1950s but I have no idea when they stopped making them.  On second thought maybe I did see them briefly but I don't recall my mom ever buying one.
I loved the pizza kits though, the pepperoni and the cheese versions.  I remember occasionally seeing Chef Boyardee SAUSAGE pizza kits in our neighborhood convenience store way back in the day.  Those were great.  I haven't seen one of those since probably 1979.
Okay, now I'm hungry.  :)