Author Topic: A quick question about dough rise when cooking.  (Read 1338 times)

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
A quick question about dough rise when cooking.
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:01:33 PM »
I've noticed a number of pizzas that to me seem ideal in form that have been posted.  When I look at my pizzas that I've posted the crusts seem rather compacted with no bubbles in the crust and I wonder, what makes the crust/dough bubble up and get airy when cooked?  Is there some element of the dough that contributes to the rise when cooked?  Is it a heat factor?  Both? Neither? or is it a combination of factors and if so, what are those?  Just wondering if anyone could help me pin down this.  Thanks.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A quick question about dough rise when cooking.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »
Hi,

This may not totally answer your question but it's a start. It's non totally the same question bit the infoormation contained may be helpful.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3292.msg27915.html#msg27915

Michael

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:19:34 PM »
grovemonkey,

In addition to the piece referenced by Michael, you might also want to read this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3557.msg29999.html#msg29999. I think by the time you reach the end of that thread you will have a pretty good feel for what happens when an unbaked pizza hits a hot oven surface.

Peter

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 11:04:18 PM »
Thanks a bunch.. this should shore up any questions I have. 

Offline grovemonkey

• Let's do it.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 12:52:19 AM »
Well.. i can see that wetness, yeast (to some degree), gluten incorporation, expansion and heat are all crucial factors and related in various forms to the rise and spring of the dough.  Although the methods and amounts seem to vary from poster to poster and ideological and philosophical differences seem even more pronounced which can be confusing for a NOOB of my level.   ??? ;D

To myself, one interesting thing that stuck out was varasano's website photos of his dough that was stretched.  My dough is look very much like one of the first photos he posts where the dough has a very cellulite texture with holes and I wonder if that indicates my dough is not incorporated enough?   Especially the dough I was using last night had some holes between the strands/mess network when I hand stretched the dough out.  Not smooth.   Any ideas?

The dough was taken out of the refrig after 3 days in there and allowed to stand at room temp for about 40-50 min where I worked with it slowly.  I usually take some flour and put it on the surface of the dough since it's really sticky when it comes out of the refrig after that period of time.