Author Topic: Dough Recipe  (Read 3992 times)

Offline MTNpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Dough Recipe
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »
Does anyone have a good dessert pizza recipe that does not stray to far away from the normal pizza dough?  I would like to make dessert pizzas that have the same dough as pizzas but with the addition of dessert topppings. Reason for this is because I do not have time to make different recipes for the dessert pizza dough.  If you have a good recipe, please post it.  Also, what types of toppings should I use and what toppings do you use when making a dessert pizza? Thanks

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dough Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 12:53:56 PM »
That's exactly what I do - use my regular pizza dough for dessert. I always make extra dough balls and often use them for dessert. Pizzabrasil's version which is topped with strawberries and chocolate (I use chips) is very popular. I sprinkle powdered sugar on just before serving. I don't believe a sweeter dough would be better - this has just enough in the toppings.

Bill/SFNM

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 01:40:05 PM »
MTN Pizza,

Not too long ago, I did some research on dessert pizzas at the PMQ Think Tank. What I learned is that it is possible to make a special dough for making dessert pizzas but most pizza operators just use their regular doughs.

Fruits tend to be very popular for dessert pizzas. Some of the fruits I have read about include apples, blueberries, cherries, bananas, grapes, kiwi, mango, peaches and pineapple. Different fruit combinations can also be used, especially different kinds of berries. The fruits are usually in the form of pie fillings but they can be combinations of pie fillings and canned fruit slices, or even fresh fruit. The fruits can be placed on the pizza dough alone or on top of a custard base of some sort. To top things off, a thin cream cheese icing can be dribbled over the fruit-based dessert pizzas. Or a streusel topping can be used. Such a topping goes well with apples, as does a cinnamon/sugar topping. I have also read of caramel syrup and nuts being used. A pizza dough can also be coated with honey, before adding other things.

There are also several possibilities using chocolate, such as strawberries and chocolate, or a marshmallow cream with chocolate chips. As you can see, the possibilities are limited only by one’s imagination.

From what I recall, the dessert pizza sizes can vary from 6" to 9" to 12". In some cases, the pizza dough base can be pre-baked--and maybe even have to be pre-baked--although it also seems to be common to just make many of the pizzas as normal and bake them as normal with the dessert toppings. I recall one operator brushing the rim of the dough with egg white before baking. I suspect this gives a shine to the rim after baking.

Tom Lehmann of the American Institute of Baking is a big fan of the dessert pizza as described here:
http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/tt/index.cgi?noframes;read=28677. I believe he uses that recipe in his teaching classes.

For an article on dessert pizzas, this article may also be of interest:

http://pizzatoday.com/production_articles.shtml?article=NDE2OHN1cGVyNDE2NXNlY3JldDQxNzI=

Peter

Offline MTNpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:45:49 PM »
Thanks for the great info!