Author Topic: Dough sheeter or roller  (Read 2838 times)

Offline MTNpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Dough sheeter or roller
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:30:57 PM »
Does anyone use a dough sheeter or roller? If so what are they like?  How fast are they at pressing dough? Would you reccomend them? I used to have a dough press but found it to be very dissapointing because it required much time and energy. 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Dough sheeter or roller
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:45:21 AM »
MTNpizza,

You might find this article of interest: http://pmq.com/mag/2002summer/doughformer.shtml.

Peter

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »
I used to have a dough press but found it to be very dissapointing because it required much time and energy. 

:-D

I don't think many people on these boards take on the task of making their own pizza because it takes less time and energy! To the contrary, the more I read about the various techniques, some people plan their pizza's out for days. It's work, no matter how you dice it.

Offline MTNpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:35:35 PM »
Trust me I know its work!  When you own a very busy restaurant with people ordering like crazy, you need to start thinking about a faster and reliable process to make quality food.  ;D

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 12:27:31 PM »
MTNpizza,

If you are restaurant owner looking to speed up the process I am sure your equipment vendors could point you in the right direction. I have no clue as to what throughput you have in mind, but if one piece of equipment doesn't work for you, there are usually several brands or ways of doing the same thing.

My experience trying to recreate a "cracker type" crust at home using a rolling pin has been quite difficult. I am about 90% convinced that you need a sheeter to do this properly. Having said that, if your crust is dependent on the type of machine you are using, such as a sheeter, I would not stray too much toward other types of machinery only because you may risk negatively altering your product. If you do change your technique, see if the manufacturer has a "trial" period or evaluation just so you can see if you are going to be happy with the new equipment in how it affects your product. Like all capital purchases, you should be able to test it out and make sure it makes sense for your brand before you have to sign the check.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »
At the California Pizza Kitchen in NYC, I saw them using a pizza dough press:

http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/pizza-presses.html