Author Topic: fresh yeast question  (Read 1582 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
fresh yeast question
« on: November 20, 2006, 08:37:07 AM »
Quick question for anyone here that might know.   I stumbled across some red star fresh yeast at the store yesterday.  something Ive never found anywhere around here.  I always did want to try it with caputo for the authentic yeast of beer neapolitan.  I currently have 4 starters that I use for pizza and bread which makes me wonder,  can I make a starter out of the fresh yeast so that I have the option year round,  or will that not work the same.  any thoughts?  thanks -marc

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: fresh yeast question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 08:46:38 AM »
Simple answer:

No you cannot!

A wild yeast starter is something else.

However you can make a preferment with commercial yeast to be used at once (poolish - biga).

Offline shango

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:03:20 PM »
since wild yeast will out compeat your red star yeast it is imposible to keep it alive and pure.  In a few days something will contaminate it and away it will go.  It also isnt worth the trouble to keep it alive and pure since it is pretty easy and cheap to go out and buy more whenever you need more.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:42:19 PM »
Elaboration as to why you cannot (as I understand it) . . .

Commercial yeast (be it brewer's yeast, IDY or ADY; their all the same organism) was selected as the commercial yeast used today because of its strength (excellent rising capabilities), predictability, and because of its ability to live for long periods in a non-acidic environment, making it easy to transport, store, etc. Conversly, commercial yeast cannot live for very long in an acidic environment, the exact opposite of wild yeast. But, alas, it is the acidic environment produced by lactobacili that give bread/pizza great flavor. Wild yeast can continue to live forever -- as long as you keep on feeding it flour and water -- because the yeast and lactobacili live in a symbiotic relationship: each is essential to the other's survival. The big problem for creating a starter from commercial yeast is that over time it creates the very same environment that it cannot survive in; in a sense commiting suicide. As the yeast ferments the flour, it increases the acidity of the mixture, killing itself off, leaving a paradise for some stray wild yeast/lactobacili couple to multiply and conquer.

Just a final point, even if making a starter from commercial yeast could work, there would be no benefits to the dough; it wouldn't taste any better. You would, of course, not have to buy the yeast again, and that is a benefit to your $dough$.  ;)

Hope that helps. And if I'm wrong, please somebody correct me. Thanks.

pizzapan