Author Topic: help a Canuck get Stanislaus sauce?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
help a Canuck get Stanislaus sauce?
« on: November 24, 2006, 01:36:17 PM »
Hi all,

Now that I have a DLX mixer, I think I'd like to see if I can take my pizza "to the next level."  However, there's a problem--living as I do in Canada, it's really hard to get good ingredients here.  Specifically, I'm finding it impossible to get Stanislaus Full Red Pizza Sauce.  I've tried a number of local retailers and distributors here in Edmonton, and they've all said they can't help.  I even tried contacting Stanislaus directly, and they say they won't ship to Canada.

Thus, I am reduced to begging :)  Would a member of the forum be willing to ship me a can or two of said sauce?  Any size can will do--I'd just like to try it out first, and then we can discuss importing it by the caseload if I really like it and need a lifetime supply ;)

I will, of course, pay for the cost of the sauce and shipping, and will even pay a small additional fee of your choosing to compensate you for the time and effort of sending the can.

If anyone could help a pizza brother out, please PM me and let me know you're willing to help, and let me know how you'd like to be paid (PayPal, personal cheque, cash, Canadian Tire money, whatever).

Thanks,
Dave
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 05:51:27 PM by canadave »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: help a Canuck get Stanislaus sauce?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:26:31 AM »
Actually, guess what--I just found a local source! :)  And there's an interesting lesson here....

I'd been looking for "Full Red Pizza Sauce."  The only place in Edmonton to get this sort of thing is the Italian Centre Market.  I went there, and although they had some Stanislaus products (including something called "Full Red Crushed Concentrate"), they didn't have the "Full Red Pizza Sauce."

When I got home, I figured I'd just email them and ask if they could maybe special-order the sauce.  I got a reply a day later: "Sorry, there's not really any demand for it, and we can't special order this sort of thing for just one or two people."

Okay, that's too bad, but, whatever.  That's when I made my plea on this forum.

However, yesterday, I went to the same store for something else, and on a whim, decided to look in the sauce aisle (I always go by the sauce and cheese aisle just to see if anything's changed on a day-to-day basis :)  But they appeared to have the same products they had last week.  Oh well.

Wait a minute, though.  When I saw that "Full Red Crushed Concentrate" again, something triggered this time in my mind.  Through the dim haze of memory that is my mind, I suddenly seemed to recall reading something on Stanislaus's website; something from when I was reading their description of "Full Red Pizza Sauce".......I called home and asked my wife to go to the website and read me the description.  Sure enough, it said: "Full Red Pizza Sauce (known in some areas as "Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes"). (my italics)

Well, I almost jumped for joy.  Could this "Concentrated Crushed" (note that there was no "Tomatoes" in the name) be the same as the much-sought-after "Full Red Pizza Sauce," then?  I grabbed a big can, took it home, and pried it open with shaking hands.  YES!!!!  Lo and behold...the very same.

So, to sum up: I have my pizza sauce.  I made a sauce with it last night and made a pizza...pure heaven.  For what it's worth, I found it much preferable (and more true to NY taste) than the 6-in-1 sauces I've been making.  And now I can make it as much as I want :)

Thanks very much to all who PM'ed me and offered to help....I truly, truly appreciate your generous offers.  If anyone needs help getting Stanislaus, let me know...now that I have my own supplier, I'll be happy to help if I can :)

I'm off to go write another email to the Italian Centre, gently explaining they already have the product they told me they couldn't special order ;)

Cheers,
Dave

pizzapan