Author Topic: Pizzeria da Michele, Naples  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Pizzeria da Michele, Naples
« on: November 26, 2006, 11:56:33 AM »
During my recent trip to Italy I visited Pizzeria da Michele in Naples.  It was a fun experience to eat in one of the most famous pizzerias in the world.  The restaurant was very busy on a Saturday afternoon and we had to wait a while outside with a crowd of locals and tourists. Here is a brief review and photo essay on my visit. Obviously the place is popular since it has been around since 1870.

Once inside, ordering is easy. You have only two choices - Pizza Margherita or Pizza Marinaro, although you can get each type in a normal or medium size and have the option of double mozzerella.  For drinks, your choice are Coke, orange soda, beer or mineral water.  I ordered a normal Margherita which was about 12 inches in diameter.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 11:59:57 AM by Wallman »

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizzeria da Michele, Naples (continued)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 11:58:51 AM »
According to the menu, the pizzas are made with 00 flour, San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella cheese from Agerola, safflower oil, sea salt, water, basil, oregano, and garlic. The dough appeared almost wet while the pizzaiolo shaped the pie.  His technique was pretty simple, just working the dough on the bench, no tossing, and then he slid it onto a peel and another pizzaiolo applied toppings. The dressed pizza was then handed to a third guy who was working the oven.

The results?  An amazingly soft crust, much softer than crusts Iíve had at any American Neapolitan style restaurant.  The crust flavor was very good and the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese top notch  All in all it was worth the trip to Naples to eat at this landmark.

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizzeria da Michele, Naples
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 10:43:13 AM »
GREAT PICS...thanks for sharing! Its the simplicity of which you describe with regards to them making the pies that makes truly an amazing pizza. You can taste the pizza with your eyes in these pictures. The crust looks very soft with lots of flavor from the charing here and there and the other ingrediants just bring it all together...this is what we are all striving for....the oven looks like just a red brick oven. What were they using for fuel..wood, coal??

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 10:45:17 AM »
Oh, never mind I see the wood in the pictures..looks like oak perhaps...

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:33:14 PM »
Nobody would ever, ever use coal in Italy.

The wood used in Naples is usually a mix of 70-80% Beech and 20-30% oak.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 09:51:48 PM »
I'm glad you liked the pictures. One thing I noticed, or really didn't notice, about the fuel, there was very little odor of burning wood. In other wood burning places I've been to you can distinctly smell the smoke, but at da Michele I didn't notice it. Could be the oven was burning hotter than others. Marco, any comments?

pizzapan