Author Topic: training at keste'  (Read 3896 times)

Offline PizzaVera

Re: training at keste'
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:10 PM »
PizzaVera,
I just explained to WSP why I did not like pizza at keste. I think I have been fair with my description. I was the  very first customer that day, maybe the oven was not ready, maybe something wrong with the way the dough was mixed. I have been at Bianco's numerous times, I have never had a bad experience there, he has been very consistent. I was in Sicily just last month, I tried 2 different pizzerias, one I knew was so so, the other one was highly recommended. For my own taste they both failed miserably. I was in Rome I went to Gabriele Bonci (different type of pizza), really good pizza but no place to sit inside, etc...3 slices and a bottle of water 10 euros, but at least I was able to eat. I  was at another pizzeria in Rome, not like GB but pretty good too. When I am traveling here and abroad I know where to go or not to go. Not everybody is perfect, I understand that but if people say that keste has the best pizza, I have the right to disagree according to my experience!

fair enough! you are entitled to your opinion! but you do know you are saying that all the people who have eaten at Keste in your eyes are eating rubbery, chewy leather pizza! basically have no idea what is pizza.. all the Italians, all the pizza critics who have voted Keste best pizza.. are all well, ignorant and don't know pizza...   emmmmm interesting....

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
WTG, Larry.  A fine looking pizza AND a great buddy picture for your wall!  It's nice to know that someone who has been at this since '82 is still passionate about it to seek out a master to better yourself and your product.  You touched on the nuances of different operators.  I understand that.  What's your feeling as to how much difference his oven makes?

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
PizzaPolice has a good question, what was the difference between your two ovens and the Acunto you used at Keste.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
 the difference in the imported oven and mine is the relationship between the top and bottom bake. the proper balance was important to get the maximum rise out of the dough. high overhead heat had proper balance with the floor heat .there were three cooking sections and the back next to the flame was an area that could be used for browning the bottom of a pizza that was baked in a cooler zone . only one to two seconds in that zone gave the pizza some char, anything more it was burnt. you can see a smoke layer rolling across the oven the area between the floor and this layer was maybe 10 inches that was a hot oven and gave the best balance . they used smaller logs to keep the temp where they wanted it. for my oven to give my dough a good blast of heat for max rise it has a tendency to smoke the bottom. i have just got back from a visit to new york and hit motorino brooklyn , the new olio, keste', lazos,johns, joes,and lombardi's will put up pics.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
Just got back from lunch at Keste, my first trip there!

I really enjoyed my Margherita and the tomatoes were my favorite part of the pie... do they use fresh tomatoes or a canned product?  So delicious!  I'm curious about anything about the preparation of this style of sauce...

Sean

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »
 canned san marazano tomatoes put thru a food-mill add salt to taste.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 10:27:57 PM »
Thanks!

Enjoyed it very much....