Author Topic: caputo 00 yay or nay?  (Read 7567 times)

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
Re: caputo 00 yay or nay?
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2007, 09:28:17 AM »
Using Iaquone tonda per pizze, I am running around a 65 Percent hydration or higher, depending on ambient humidity.  1 percent of water for starter.   salt has been a little on the light side but I am working more into the recipe...water temperature has a lot to do with it as well....

That's an ample hydration, your Iaquone flour may indeed be able to handle it better than Caputo.  Do you let the dough rise exposed to the air or in a sealed container?  I'm finding in a dry environment that makes a difference.

Also I've been experimenting with salt.  I'm finding that 1% is too low, resulting in a fast rise and lack of salt tang in the dough.  Above 3% nicely slows the rise but leaves the crust starting to taste too salty.

I have been ignoring water temperature figuring a 14 dough hour rise at a certain temperature should overwhelm any initial water temperature, but maybe that's not the case.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 09:50:20 AM by scpizza »

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2007, 05:52:23 PM »
I have been ignoring water temperature figuring a 14 dough hour rise at a certain temperature should overwhelm any initial water temperature, but maybe that's not the case.
I think that's not the case.  I've now made several batches using chilled water and gotten much longer rise times out of them.  Nice.  Probably keeps the yeast from going ape-wild with all that flour during the mixing process.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »
In the winter months I measure the room temp, then adjust my water temp to control exactly when my dough will be ready for baking.   

In the summer I use a set water temp, but use an air conditioner to keep the room where I want it to be.

This seems to work pretty well for me.

Offline shango

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2007, 07:37:44 PM »
In the winter months I measure the room temp, then adjust my water temp to control exactly when my dough will be ready for baking.  

In the summer I use a set water temp, but use an air conditioner to keep the room where I want it to be.

sounds almost perfect..
pizza, pizza, pizza

pizzapan