Author Topic: Quarry Tile  (Read 3496 times)

Offline PizzanOOb

• I Love Pizza!
Quarry Tile
« on: November 29, 2006, 12:26:17 AM »
So who here uses Quarry Tile to cook their pizza on instead of a pizza stone? I ask because I'm heading to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up some quarry tile to make my pizza's on. I know that you're supposed to get unglazed, but I have no clue of what the difference between glazed and unglazed quarry tile is. I was hopeing you guys could tell me.

What does unglazed look like? Is there a difference in look from glazed and unglazed? Any texture difference? Also keep in mind this will be the first quarry tile I've ever seen so I'm a total noob at it. Please tell me what to look for.

Also, how big of a slab of quarry tile do you think I can get? I'm honestly looking for one that's 20 inches in diameter. Do you think that'll be possible?

I appreciate all your help in advance.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Quarry Tile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:49:41 AM »
PizzanOOb,

When I use tiles it is usually in combination with a pizza stone, although many members use only tiles. The tiles I purchased, from Home Depot, are shown here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2580.msg22751.html#msg22751. As you will see from that post, tiles usually come in squares, not a single, large piece as you appear to have in mind. When I bought the tiles, I asked the salesperson to confirm that the tiles were unglazed. Before heading off to Home Depot, you may want to measure the inside dimensions of your oven to determine how many tiles to purchase. You might also read the other posts in the same thread as the aboverefenced post. There is a lot of useful information there.

Peter

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 04:22:03 PM »
I also use quarry tiles, I got them from Lowes, but they look just like Pete's.  You may want to have them cut the tiles in the store to fit your oven, I had them cut 3 of the six inch tiles in half.  I put in 6 six inch tiles and 3 3 inch to make a 15 inch "deck." 

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 06:43:35 PM »
Yeah, like Wallman said, they're usually 6 x 6 inches and not more than 1/2 inch thick.  They're usually sold as quarry tile or unglazed quarry tile (I've never seen anything glazed that was called quarry tile).  I've seen them terra-cotta red or grey.  I don't know that it makes a difference.  Sometimes the heat cracks them, but the pieces still fit together perfectly and they work just fine.  They're also really cheap to replace.  Measure your oven rack so if you need to have the end ones cut to fit and maximize your cooking area, you'll know just what you need.  Good luck!  :chef:
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 04:14:10 PM »
For those who are long term quarry tile users, do you still detect an odor from your tiles once you have preheated?

Ive had quarry tiles for a maybe a year or so now, and still get a fairly noticeable odor which fills the entire kitchen-level of my house.  It used to smoke up the house often, but doesn't do that anymore.  Still, I am concerned that I do this on a weekly basis.  The smell seems to trigger light coughing.  My dogs are terrified of the smell, and run upstairs everytime I preheat.

I did confirm these were "unglazed" quarry tiles upon purchase.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »
Hmmmm....I've noticed an odor, but it's more due to the accumulated burnt flour stuck to each tile being reheated.  I personally love that aroma...it smells like baking.  Not unpleasant at all.  If you're smelling some sort of weird "tile" smell, that's not good.

If you're concerned, my suggestion would be to try a different set of tiles (of a different make).

Offline ihavezippers

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 05:25:42 PM »
hey canadadave,
i think you are right.   it is kind of an odd smell, although it might be attributed to the cheese/sauce/dough that has fallen onto the tiles over the year.  either way, it makes me nervous, so i guess i am going to shell out the big bucks for the fibrament.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 07:36:36 PM »
Before you shell out the big bucks for the fibrament, I'd highly encourage you to simply try different quarry tiles of a different make.  All you'd have to do is just try one or two even...you don't need to bake a pizza on them.  Just put them in the oven and fire it up, and then see if the smell is there.  That way, you're only spending a few dollars to test what's going on.

Under normal conditions, quarry tiles should not have an unpleasant smell.  If they're dirty from cheese/flour/whatever, they can be cleaned....