Author Topic: Taco Pizza recpie???  (Read 4982 times)

NitWit

Taco Pizza recpie???
« on: August 12, 2004, 07:50:57 PM »
Ok Does anyone have a good taco recpie?

I like em with crusted Doritos on top but I dont have a clue on the rest of the elusive little Italian/Mexican treat. ???

kellyjo

Re:Taco Pizza recpie???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 06:21:18 PM »
Ya know, believe it or not the best taco pizza I ever had (and I have not had that many) came from East Of Chicago.  It was amazing, but I'm sorry I don't have the recipe.  It had taco meat, lettuce, tomato, salsa, black olives, sour cream, onion, guacomole (sp? - which I asked to take off)....  It had a pan crust and really nice flavor...

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 07:05:53 PM »
D-W,

Unless you have a fair idea of what you are looking for in a taco pizza, you may want to do a simple Google search using something like "taco pizza recipe" in the search string, to narrow down the possibilities.

I have developed my own Mexican style pizza recipe with an herb and spice blend that I would describe as a cross between a taco blend and a Cincinnati Greek chili blend.  I developed the recipe to use when I am in Mexico, not exactly a pizza hotbed.  I wanted to capture a lot of the Mexican flavors.  When I came up with the recipe, I didn't plan to use typical Mexican ingredients like sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, crushed corn chips, etc., but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea.  I plan to give it a try sometime.  If you or anyone else is interested, I would be happy to post the recipe, along with my "tasting" notes and possible modifications of the recipe to experiment with, using primarily Mexican cheeses that are found wherever there is a strong Hispanic presence and, of course, in Mexico.  

Peter

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 08:32:37 PM »
Thanks Pete-zza, I think you have given my an idea for a pizza I've not try an make yet. :)

Greek Gyro
Lamb,onions,cucumber sauce etc.
Wow I am actually hungry thinking about it. ;D
And I just got done making a 16in. NewYork for dinner.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 09:08:35 PM »
Foccaciaman,

Your every wish is my command  :):

Greek Pizza with Gyro Meat

1 dough recipe sufficient to make 1 (12-in.) pizza dough round
1/2 oz. olive oil (about 1 T.)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3-4 oz. precooked gyro meat (about 6-8 slices)
3-4 oz. fresh Roma tomatoes, sliced (about 6-8 slices)
1/2 red onion, sliced into half rings
1/4 c. black Greek olives, pitted and sliced
3-4 oz. spinach, fresh or frozen (with water squeezed out of the frozen)
2-3 oz. Greek feta cheese, crumbled
6-7 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into 2-in. long slices
1 t. dried oregano leaves

Brush the pizza dough round with olive oil.  Sprinkle with the chopped garlic.  In turn, evenly distribute over the pizza the gyro meat, the Roma tomatoes, the sliced red onion, the black olives, the chopped spinach and the feta cheese.  Apply a concentric circle of the mozzarella cheese slices about 1 inch from the edge of the pizza, in the form of a donut.  Distribute the oregano leaves over the pizza.  Bake the pizza on a pizza stone that has been pre-heated in an oven at 500 degrees F for 1 hour.  When the pizza is golden brown and bubbly, remove from the oven, cut into slices and serve.  

(Pete-zza Notes: I have made gyro meat before, but it is a lot of work and getting close to the flavors of the real thing isn't easy to do.  If you can find the Kronos brand gyro meat, which comes frozen in a 1 pound package, that is the way I would go.  I found some in a Middle-Eastern food store.  That may not be an option in Minnesota, but if there is someone nearby who sells gyro sandwiches, you might be able to buy 6-8 slices for the above recipe.)  

The recipe you have in mind, Foccacciaman, sounds like it is tzaziki based.  I think you could make a pizza using the gyro meat (or thinly sliced or chopped lamb if you wish), drench some chopped lettuce in the tzaziki sauce and spread it over the finished pizza, along with some fresh diced tomato if you'd like.  I would use the onions but I wouldn't use spinach or olives.  If you have a gyro source you might be able to buy some tzaziki sauce also.  But commercial tzaziki sauces are made up of chemicals without a trace of anything that looks or sounds like real food.  And I don't want Giotto to get all over my case for recommending it to you  :).  As an alternative, you can make your own tzaziki sauce using either sour cream or drained yogurt, pureed and drained cucumber, and the classic choices of herbs.

Peter

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 09:18:54 PM »
Thanks alot, I am in your debt for saving me the time of working on a starting recipe. ;D Excellent

And actually, because I love gyros so much I used to make the tzaziki sauce with yogurt and put it on all kinds of sandwiches.
And come to think of it I do have a source for the gyro meat(Dino's Gyros about 10 min away from my house.). Thanks for the idea. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 09:19:20 PM by Foccaciaman »
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Samm

• SF pizza delivery
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 06:27:01 PM »
Cool Idea
I'm going to try somthing new.
Here are my ideas for a mexican pizza

Add some Masa in with the flour for the dough This will give the crust that tortilla flavor. Amounts anyone wanna guess?

Enchillda Sauce  

Mexican white cheese and cheddar mix

canned diced green chillis, black olives, chorizo sausage, onions diced, sliced jalepenos.

More like a enchillda pizza

lucifer

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 02:31:18 AM »
I have one thing I'd like to add at this point.  Tabasco Green Label.  Shake, add, repeat.

pizzapan