Author Topic: international shipping and high gluten flour  (Read 1391 times)

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
international shipping and high gluten flour
« on: September 04, 2006, 07:03:28 PM »
I recently e-mailed KA to see if they ship internationally, and I got the response : No.  I was dissapointed.  Still am.

What other creative alternatives are there to getting high gluten flour- like all trumps, or KASL?  Perhaps a distributor would be better?  Maybe Food Source International?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I figure that even after intl shipping costs, Id end up saving.  Ive seen a 500 gram bag of high gluten flour sell for nearly $2.50 cents.  And from what I understand, a 25 pound bag in the US you can get for less than 20 bucks!!!

Thanks guys,
Jon
Il miglior fabbro

Offline chiguy

Re: international shipping and high gluten flour
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:30:53 PM »
 hi Johnny,
 I can't believe $2.50 for 500Grams of high Gluten flour. I seen a 50lb bag of High Gluten flour at The Restaurant Depot here in Chicago for $9.99. Where are you living? you should have access to some brand of bread flour. Why don't you try to locate a bakery in the area and see if they can help you. They may be able to get you the flour for cost. FYI, i like All Trumps much better than KASL. Chiguy
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 07:33:49 PM by chiguy »

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:49:42 PM »
hi Johnny,
 I can't believe $2.50 for 500Grams of high Gluten flour. I seen a 50lb bag of High Gluten flour at The Restaurant Depot here in Chicago for $9.99. Where are you living? you should have access to some brand of bread flour. Why don't you try to locate a bakery in the area and see if they can help you. They may be able to get you the flour for cost. FYI, i like All Trumps much better than KASL. Chiguy

Chiguy,

Its absurd, but its the reality here.  There isnt real market demand for this type of flour.  Most brazilians eat 1-2 french rolls in a day, along with biscuits and pastries.  Bagels (which also require high gluten flour) don't exist, at least in my neck of the woods. 

Most bakers Ive talked to are unfamiliar with high gluten flour.

If all else fails, on my next trip to see my family in the US, Im coming back with flour, lots of flour! lol
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Grog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 06:34:53 AM »
I can confirm Johnny the Gent's problem.  I am an American living in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.  When it comes to wheat flour, the local supermarkets carry bleached all-purpose and (in the more exclusive stores) whole wheat flour.  There is virtually nothing else.  I stumbled across one source of high-gluten flour in the city, and each month I buy out their entire stock (6-8 half kilo bags).  It appears to be ordinary flour with wheat gluten added to the mix.  It costs 6 reais (US$2.75) per half kilo! 

BTW, I have tried international shipping for a bunch of my cooking needs, but customs always confiscates it, sends it back, or charges me a 200% markup for duties.