Author Topic: Hydration % with Caputo Pizzeria Flour  (Read 2167 times)

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
Hydration % with Caputo Pizzeria Flour
« on: November 13, 2006, 10:14:21 PM »
Just got my hands on a 55lb bag of Caputo Pizzeria flour.  Last night I made a batch of dough at 65% hydration.  The resulting dough wasn't nearly as wet as the dough I usually make (50/50 Caputo/KA Bread).

So I know that folks like Varasano go by feel rather than strict numbers.  Will a 65% dough ball perform well at 800F?  Or should I have made it wetter based on feel?  Curious to hear people's thoughts.

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
Re: Hydration % with Caputo Pizzeria Flour
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:51:56 PM »
I find the same thing to be true.  The only problem is that many people on the board, including Pete-zza and Jeff, both have stated that Caputo should feel the same at 56-60% hydration.  I believe that 100 % Caputo dough just handles better at higher hydration.  (It is designed for pizza, so this should be expected).  I could never get KABF to 65 % without a total mess, but my experience with high hydration doughs helps a good bit.  I am sure you would agree from your own experience with pizza making.

65 % dough should work great at 800F.  You will get lots of spring as long as there are enough seed bubbles from yeast/starter.  If you can handle wetter dough than this, go for it.

Good luck,
TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 12:02:35 AM »
I find the same thing to be true.  The only problem is that many people on the board, including Pete-zza and Jeff, both have stated that Caputo should feel the same at 56-60% hydration.  I believe that 100 % Caputo dough just handles better at higher hydration.  (It is designed for pizza, so this should be expected).  I could never get KABF to 65 % without a total mess, but my experience with high hydration doughs helps a good bit.  I am sure you would agree from your own experience with pizza making.

65 % dough should work great at 800F.  You will get lots of spring as long as there are enough seed bubbles from yeast/starter.  If you can handle wetter dough than this, go for it.

Good luck,
TM

Tonymark i'm glad to hear this.  I knew that the Caputo Pizzeria flour would perform differently but I didn't realize it would be so different from KA Bread.  They'll be ready to go in the oven on Wednesday.  I'll post pics then.

-raj

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »
It is not that different and at low temp the browning is really disappointing.  KABF is a great flour for great pizza, it just takes some experience to handle those very wet doughs.  I currently use 70-80% Caputo with the rest being KABF.  I actually have to use even more KABF when I cook in my oven at 650 F to get proper browning. 

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 12:50:46 PM »
I've gotten quite used to handling really wet dough.  First fwe times was an absolute mess  ;D.

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 02:02:20 PM »
I am curious. In my own experiments with Caputo, which are admittedly limited, I get the best result with a hydration of about 58%, which I know is counter to the idea that a wetter dough is best (no doubt my best bread doughs, made with AP or Bread flour, do turn out best with a very high hydration). I have tried up to 64% and as low as 53%. The 58%, for me, handles best and provides a crisp outer crust and creamy interior, with enough body to support the toppings and not sag when a slice is lifted. I am using a refractory cement oven at about 750 degrees air temp and about a 700 degree floor temp. The lower hydration is also consistent with what I believe Caputo recommends.

Next week I will have some time and try and do some more comparison with a wetter dough.

Jim

Offline shango

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 08:39:18 PM »
I find that a good K.M.A. or P.M.D. hydration is right around 62%.  Could someone please pass the word along to Tad? 8)
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 05:55:20 PM »
I haven't had a chance to try different hydration levels with my 100% Caputo recipe yet.  I just got my hands on a bag of All-Trumps and have been working on re-creating a Lombardi's Style pie!

pizzapan