Author Topic: Pizza Napoletana in NYC  (Read 8645 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: Pizza Napoletana in NYC
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
No date, it could be tomorrow or 2 years....

Offline PIGMON

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 10:45:29 AM »
Spacca Napoli is an interesting case in point. They do have a proper Neapolitan oven which bakes a pie in 40 or so seconds. But things rapidly deviate from what I have come to understand as authentic from there. They have a diving arm mixer which is second best apparently. They have imported an Italian pizzaiola vs a Neapolitan one. Consequently they are not using some of the authentic ancient dough methods I have read about here from pizzanapoletana (which have subsequently been largely deleted for some reason). They do not use wild yeast consequently their crust is devoid of any substantial flavor. Their bufala soaks the middle of their unsliced Margherita. Adding all that up, they still produce a pie which kills UPN but not one which I would say is truly authentic. But since I have never eaten an authentic pie, all my points are opinions at best.

Being a pizza neophyte and a relative newcomer here, I'm not sure I have all my facts down straight. But if you are talking about Spacca Napoli in Chicago versus Una Pizza Nepoletana in New York, I don't think I could disagree more. Jonathon Goldsmith, the owner of Spacca Napoli will flat out tell you that he is at the start of a long path to discovering how to make his ideal Neapolitan pizza. He is an enthusiastic newcomer with amazing drive and a passion to make the most authentic and best pies possible. However, his pizza is a far cry from the ones I've had at UPN, strictly on taste alone and NOT on anything dealing with the pizza's authenticity. Spacca's ingredients, IMO, are a long way from what Mangieri is serving up at UPN, regardless of where they come from. If authenticity is the main criteria here, then disregard anything I've written. My main point is that, regardless of how it's made, UPN makes significantly better bread (crust) than Spacca Napoli.
Some have suggested above that UPN has recently been going downhill and since I haven't eaten there since last May, I can't comment on that. But it would have had to really tank to have gotten to Spacca Napoli's very respectable level, just based on the flavor of the crust alone.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 11:10:10 AM by PIGMON »

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »
PIGMON,
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

My opinion about why Spacca Napoli is demonstrably superior than UPN is based solely upon my very recent eating experiences at both establishments. I think the real difference may be that Jonathan is trying to improve his product every single day and Anthony is just showing up these days keeping everything status quo. Perhaps UPN was pumping out better pies last year. I can't comment on a comparison for last year, as I could never catch UPN when it was open.

This year however, in my opinion, it is not even close. Not only has Spacca Napoli caught and surpassed UPN but so has Sumeri at Settebello Pizzeria and Charlie at Naples 45 has as well.

Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2006, 07:09:58 PM »
I would be interested a NYC get together.

bakerbill

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2006, 06:05:55 PM »
I vote for a 2007 Home Pizza Making Pizzaiolo Conference in New York - (Don't worry Marco, 2008 will be in Italy).  Pick a weekend and we can all meet at Luzzo's/UPN/etc. and discuss.  Maybe even rent out a kitchen for a day. 

This strikes me as a brilliant idea.  We do need a kitchen with pizza oven for the day.  Luzzo's is closed on Mondays.  UPN closed Monday and Tuesday.  UPN has the better oven IMO.  If we can get 10 people to attend and each pitch in $50 we can hopefully rent the place for the day along with a sack of Caputo.

I'm thinking each person could lecture and demonstrate his dough making procedure in 15 minutes and bring some already made dough to lecture and demonstrate their pizza making procedure in 15 minutes.  Total time with breaks about 6 hours, tasting pizza all the way.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »
This strikes me as a brilliant idea.  We do need a kitchen with pizza oven for the day.  Luzzo's is closed on Mondays.  UPN closed Monday and Tuesday.  UPN has the better oven IMO.  If we can get 10 people to attend and each pitch in $50 we can hopefully rent the place for the day along with a sack of Caputo.

I'm thinking each person could lecture and demonstrate his dough making procedure in 15 minutes and bring some already made dough to lecture and demonstrate their pizza making procedure in 15 minutes.  Total time with breaks about 6 hours, tasting pizza all the way.

If you can pull this off, I'm in.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2006, 10:48:32 AM »
I like to watch.... And eat. Keep me posted on this I'm in as well.

Offline mivler

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2007, 07:41:28 AM »
I'm interested in watching and eating too.

pizzapan