Author Topic: Ready to make pizza!  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Ready to make pizza!
« on: June 09, 2004, 07:32:02 PM »
Ok guys... I'm ready to make pizza!!  ;D ;D

Got a batch of NY style dough in the refrigerator right now... made with the All-Trumps high-gluten bromated flour. Will crack open the tomatoes tomorrow when I make pizza.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
Re:Ready to make pizza!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 10:41:24 PM »
I almost shed a tear when I saw the picture knowing I could not reach out and sample the goods.
Its almost worthy of a poster. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 10:13:26 AM »
That's a great shot!

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 01:51:44 PM »
For some reason I can't stop looking at this picture.  :'(  I'm totally in awe of the cans of sauce and can't wait until you post your results.  I need to buy more King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour soon so I really want to know if I should  get a 25# bag of all trumps instead.  

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 02:03:55 PM »
Notice my pizza peel hanging on the wall?   8)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 03:38:10 PM »
I was going to mention it but I did not want to admit I had a case of peel envy. Mine is not as long as yours... :(

Although I do hang mine out for all to see also. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 03:39:58 PM by Foccaciaman »

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 05:59:31 PM »
I was going to mention it but I did not want to admit I had a case of peel envy. Mine is not as long as yours... :(

Although I do hang mine out for all to see also. ;D ;D ;D

ROTF   :D

Pierre

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 07:39:47 PM »
I just paid $25 for 20#s KA high gluten.
Hope this works for you Steve.
Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 07:52:13 AM »
Well, my results were so-so.  :-\

My doughs were too tight... they fought me when stretched, and eventually tore in several places. I think I may have over-kneaded the dough.  >:(

I used my standard 2 pounds flour, 20 oz. water, 2 tsp instant yeast, and 2 tsp. salt. Dough was perfectly hydrated, smooth and silky, when I finished kneading. It rose 3x in size overnight in the refrigerator. Still not sure why it didn't want to stretch.

For the sauce, I cracked the seals on cans of 7/11 sauce and Bonta pizza sauce with basil.

The 7/11 is nearly indistinguishable from 6-in-1. Same texture and consistency. Same bits of tomato peel within. While very good in taste, the 7/11 was not as good as 6-in-1 IMHO. The 6-in-1 tomatoes have a "fresher" flavor. Don't get me wrong, the 7/11 and 6-in-1 are the Cadillacs of canned tomatoes and are far superior to anything else on the market. But the 6-in-1 tomatoes have a slight edge over the 7/11. Perhaps it's due to the citric acid that's added to the 7/11 tomatoes (the 6-in-1 tomatoes contain just tomatoes and salt, no citric acid.)

The Bonta pizza sauce with basil was close to the consistency of tomato paste. Very thick! So thick that you'd have to add water to get the right consistency. I mixed it 50:50 with 7/11 sauce and it was still too thick. The Bonta pizza sauce, while good, was not as flavorful as their 6-in-1 product. It must be due to the thickness (i.e., cooked down). It did have a nice fresh basil flavor. I need to experiment more with this sauce. I can't wait to try the Bonta tomato puree and the Bonta concentrated crushed tomatoes.

As for the cheese, I made the mistake of using Polly-O part skim. While part skim, it was very moist cheese and created huge puddles of water on my pizzas.  >:(

The Polly-O is excellent cheese, but I think it's best suited for Chicago style pizza where a nice creamy cheese is desired. As for my NY pizza, I should have used the Stella shredded low-moisture part-skim cheese from Sam's Club... that cheese is my current favorite on NY style pizza.

As usual, the family loved the pizza. Even though I rated it "so-so" the kids said that it was "the best ever". I guess I'm too critical!

Sorry, no pictures this time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 09:46:49 AM by Steve »

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 08:17:06 AM »
Just goes to show you that even your worst pizzas are still devoured and loved.....it's a "Pizza Thing".

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 10:28:51 AM »
The only way our pizzas will get to be the best is by pushing the envelope in all directions to see where the edge is and I think you have found one edge.

My dough works best when flattened and reshaped into a ball at least 2 hours before shaping.  The reshaping seems to help the rubber band effect and contrary to Arthur, cold dough is tuff to stretch at my house.  Maybe we need to record dough temperature before stretching out of curiosity.

I am not surprised the thick paste like pizza sauce is not as good because of the cooking time it would have gone through to reduce the water.

Now on to the Poly-o part skim water issue, I have never had that happen with either cheese.  Is it water on top of the cheese?

Randy

Offline Arthur

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 11:18:58 AM »
Steve, you're doing exactly what I wanted to try - so thank you!!!  I trust that the 6 in 1 is better so I need to order a bunch of cans.  As for the 50/50 mixing, maybe mixing with crushed tomatoes or tomato puree will be better since those are probably thiner?

I really need to take pictures of my pizza making since it sounds like my dough comes out differently than most.  My dough doesn't really get very big in size during rising....at most 2x size, AT MOST.  

As for stretching....it just seems easier to control when it's colder...don't know..and then I don't have any problem with rubber band effect.  I really do need to take pictures and check temps of dough....next week...too many plans for this weekend.  

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 11:23:32 AM »
Arthur, like you it is the testing and searching for perfection that I enjoy.  I think Steve is the same way.

Randy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 11:23:55 AM by Randy »

Offline Arthur

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 11:37:38 AM »
this site is too addicting for me.

I just bought 12 cans of 6 in 1 All Purpose Ground Tomatoes

and 35 pounds of KA Sir Lancelot flour!!!

The funny thing is - you guys probably don't think that's strange :)

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 11:59:05 AM »
What's the best way to safely store that amount of flour?

Offline Arthur

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 12:48:25 PM »
I guess since I bought 35 lbs in 5lb bags, I was just going to place all of the unopened bags in a closed small garbage bag (so no interesting creatures would be eating my flour).   Otherwise I put the opened flour in a sealed tupperware container.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 01:39:02 PM »
A bay leaf is the trick.  I bought 50#s of flour a few years back and made up 10 five pound bags, each with 1 dried bayleaf from the spice section in your grocery store.  Kept the flour for a year.

8)
Randy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 02:33:42 PM by Randy »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2004, 03:32:41 PM »
Steve was it regular Polly-O or fresh?
From Polly-O
"Fresh Mozzarella is smooth and creamy in texture and has less salt than regular mozzarella and is packed in water to retain its freshness. It is highly perishable and should be used within two weeks of the time it is made. It has a much milder flavor than regular mozzarella and is more suited for appetizers, salads and fresh dishes. Regular Mozzarella has more salt and a much firmer texture. It is easier to shred and chop and is meant to be used in family-style pasta dishes and traditional pizzas."

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »
It was Polly-O Part Skim (Wal-Mart). I shredded it myself, pizza had lots of water on top of the cheese. Never had that happen with the Stella cheese from Sam's Club.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2004, 10:33:24 PM »
Glad the results are in Steve, I was getting too excited to be able to order a new tomato, but alas you have put that to rest. Thanks, it is good I did not order the 7/11 just to try them, I'll stick with the 6 in 1. :)

New sauce for me this weekend, my basil and oregano is ready to be harvested in the back yard for a fresh sauce. Kinda can't wait to see the results.  ;D ;D
Next month my Jalapenos and other assorted hot peppers will be looking pretty good too. :o
Incidentally I also made a New York Style last week with 50% KA Sir Lancelot and 50% All Purpose for a test and found that it gave me a very impressive crust. Crispy texture on the outside with a little chew in the center.  :)

I have a little toying with the recipe yet to do, but it was pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004, 10:35:41 PM by Foccaciaman »