Author Topic: has poly-o changed?  (Read 7349 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
has poly-o changed?
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:18:39 AM »
Has anybody noticed a change in the flavor of their poly-o mozzarella?   This cheese used to be pretty darn good. It didn't melt as good as grande, but it actually had better flavor.  Now the flavor is totally gone.  I think this changed happened a few months ago.  Am I the only one who noticed?  am I crazy?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: has poly-o changed?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:21:13 AM »
I forgot to mention that I use the whole milk in a block, not the pre shredded or fresh.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 04:23:12 AM »
I bought some Polly-O whole milk mozz in a 16oz. block a few months ago and wasn't impressed with it at all.  Unfortunately, I don't have a point of reference because it was the first time I tried it.  But, I specifically bought it because I was told it was excellent cheese.

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:45:24 AM »
Scott, I'd have to say you are right.  I also only purchase the blocks too.  Not only did I notice a taste lost but the texture of my last Polly-O purchase lead me to believe that something has happened to their quality control.  I will continue to use Grande whenever I can, hopefully my efforts to find a steady supply of bulk Grande at a cost effective price will pan out!   :D
PizzaJoe

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »
I haven't been a regular buyer of this cheese, but I bought some shredded whole millk about 3 weeks ago and it was crap. The taste was nothing spectacular and the melt had virtually no stretch to it.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »
If your supermarket has it, you might try BelGioioso:  http://www.belgioioso.com/FreshMozz.htm

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:59:53 PM »
If your supermarket has it, you might try BelGioioso:  http://www.belgioioso.com/FreshMozz.htm

I purchases the 'dry pack' fresh of BelGioioso's and it was complete junk.  After 2 pizza, it went in the garbage. 

I sure hope Polly-o didn't change.  That is my fall back cheese, when I don't have time to get proper fresh mozzarella.
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 10:04:20 PM »
So, it's not just my Polly-O  :o

I thought the difference was caused by freezing the cheese!

Glad I found a source for Grande!

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 01:34:40 PM »
I bought some Polly-O whole milk mozz in a 16oz. block a few months ago and wasn't impressed with it at all.  Unfortunately, I don't have a point of reference because it was the first time I tried it.  But, I specifically bought it because I was told it was excellent cheese.

what is this, the usual 16oz whole milk but (non-low moisture?) these arent good for pizza... save this for like lasagna.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 09:22:25 AM »
About how long ago do you think this change in Polly-o might have happened?  I go through a 2lb block in about 6-8 weeks.  Last week, I finished off a block and after reading this thread, figured that my palate wasn't as sophisticated as many of the rest of you, but I hadn't noticed a difference.

Yesterday, I bought a new 2lb block at Sam's Club and made a pizza.  It was a very disappointing effort, but I'd made a few changes, so I didn't know if I should blame the cheese.  But I did notice that it was visually different.  After cooking, the cheese seemed browner and a bit dull (not as shiny).  It also tasted inferior, but I didn't know if I should blame that on my experiment with a different flour.

And so far, I haven't been able to find Grande within an hour's drive from home.  :(
--pat--

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »
Poly-O part skim in one pound packages is the same good cheese as always.  No problems here.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
Maybe it was just a bad batch? I don't know if their quality control is on par with the Grande folks. Better ? Worse?

Offline loch

• I love pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 12:36:44 PM »
I've been getting the large block from Sam's for quite a few years and the one thing I can state without being subjective is that the cheese that I buy in the winter/spring months is softer in texture and also less flavorful. I actually started keeping a log (diary not cheese) because I was doubting myself. Computer crash and restore cost me that and a few other kitchen files, but if you use a knife to slice the cheese, you will certainly notice a moisture/texture difference. Taste is hard to quantify.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 12:41:32 PM »
Poly-O part skim in one pound packages is the same good cheese as always.  No problems here.
Using part-skim Polly-o would certainly make my wife happy, but so far, Sam's is the only place I've found it, and they only have whole milk.  I'll have to check around.

BTW - From what I've seen, I'm the only person that spells it with two 'L's.  I've got the wrapper in front of me, and it's definitely "Polly-o".  Do I have a different cheese?
--pat--

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 01:01:42 PM »
Same-same, just mised on the second L.  Kroger own brand is very close, if not same as Polly-O if that helps.

Offline Keith

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »
If I remember correctly, Kraft foods bought polly-o somtime in 2006

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 02:03:21 PM »

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »
with the cheese prices as inflated as they are right now I wouldn't be surprised if they were taking out
just a little bit of the good stuff. If you take out one pickle per jar and sell a billion jars a year, you could save lots of $$$$. They figure the average consumer won't miss it.

But those on this forum are not your average mozz. eaters. :-D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 11:49:11 AM »
With the government programs to make ethanol, corn prices have doubled.  Milk prices have already gone up and are expected to get much worse. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/CreativeConsumer/story?id=3320972&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
Randy

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
I found Polly-O last year at various food outlets. Sometimes these products are in these stores because of nearing experation dates and overstock. But most often though these products are there due to a formula changes or discontinuation of the product.

Thanks for the link Randy. I was aware of the corn price hike but I didn't connect it to dairy.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

pizzapan