Author Topic: has poly-o changed?  (Read 7724 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
has poly-o changed?
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:18:39 AM »
Has anybody noticed a change in the flavor of their poly-o mozzarella?   This cheese used to be pretty darn good. It didn't melt as good as grande, but it actually had better flavor.  Now the flavor is totally gone.  I think this changed happened a few months ago.  Am I the only one who noticed?  am I crazy?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: has poly-o changed?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 02:21:13 AM »
I forgot to mention that I use the whole milk in a block, not the pre shredded or fresh.

Offline raji

• Obsessive Pizza Maker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 04:23:12 AM »
I bought some Polly-O whole milk mozz in a 16oz. block a few months ago and wasn't impressed with it at all.  Unfortunately, I don't have a point of reference because it was the first time I tried it.  But, I specifically bought it because I was told it was excellent cheese.

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:45:24 AM »
Scott, I'd have to say you are right.  I also only purchase the blocks too.  Not only did I notice a taste lost but the texture of my last Polly-O purchase lead me to believe that something has happened to their quality control.  I will continue to use Grande whenever I can, hopefully my efforts to find a steady supply of bulk Grande at a cost effective price will pan out!   :D
PizzaJoe

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »
I haven't been a regular buyer of this cheese, but I bought some shredded whole millk about 3 weeks ago and it was crap. The taste was nothing spectacular and the melt had virtually no stretch to it.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »
If your supermarket has it, you might try BelGioioso:  http://www.belgioioso.com/FreshMozz.htm

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 12:59:53 PM »
If your supermarket has it, you might try BelGioioso:  http://www.belgioioso.com/FreshMozz.htm

I purchases the 'dry pack' fresh of BelGioioso's and it was complete junk.  After 2 pizza, it went in the garbage. 

I sure hope Polly-o didn't change.  That is my fall back cheese, when I don't have time to get proper fresh mozzarella.
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 10:04:20 PM »
So, it's not just my Polly-O  :o

I thought the difference was caused by freezing the cheese!

Glad I found a source for Grande!

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 01:34:40 PM »
I bought some Polly-O whole milk mozz in a 16oz. block a few months ago and wasn't impressed with it at all.  Unfortunately, I don't have a point of reference because it was the first time I tried it.  But, I specifically bought it because I was told it was excellent cheese.

what is this, the usual 16oz whole milk but (non-low moisture?) these arent good for pizza... save this for like lasagna.

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 09:22:25 AM »
About how long ago do you think this change in Polly-o might have happened?  I go through a 2lb block in about 6-8 weeks.  Last week, I finished off a block and after reading this thread, figured that my palate wasn't as sophisticated as many of the rest of you, but I hadn't noticed a difference.

Yesterday, I bought a new 2lb block at Sam's Club and made a pizza.  It was a very disappointing effort, but I'd made a few changes, so I didn't know if I should blame the cheese.  But I did notice that it was visually different.  After cooking, the cheese seemed browner and a bit dull (not as shiny).  It also tasted inferior, but I didn't know if I should blame that on my experiment with a different flour.

And so far, I haven't been able to find Grande within an hour's drive from home.  :(
--pat--

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »
Poly-O part skim in one pound packages is the same good cheese as always.  No problems here.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
Maybe it was just a bad batch? I don't know if their quality control is on par with the Grande folks. Better ? Worse?

Offline loch

• I love pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 12:36:44 PM »
I've been getting the large block from Sam's for quite a few years and the one thing I can state without being subjective is that the cheese that I buy in the winter/spring months is softer in texture and also less flavorful. I actually started keeping a log (diary not cheese) because I was doubting myself. Computer crash and restore cost me that and a few other kitchen files, but if you use a knife to slice the cheese, you will certainly notice a moisture/texture difference. Taste is hard to quantify.

Dave
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 12:41:32 PM »
Poly-O part skim in one pound packages is the same good cheese as always.  No problems here.
Using part-skim Polly-o would certainly make my wife happy, but so far, Sam's is the only place I've found it, and they only have whole milk.  I'll have to check around.

BTW - From what I've seen, I'm the only person that spells it with two 'L's.  I've got the wrapper in front of me, and it's definitely "Polly-o".  Do I have a different cheese?
--pat--

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 01:01:42 PM »
Same-same, just mised on the second L.  Kroger own brand is very close, if not same as Polly-O if that helps.

Offline Keith

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »
If I remember correctly, Kraft foods bought polly-o somtime in 2006

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 02:03:21 PM »

Offline nepa-pizza-snob

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »
with the cheese prices as inflated as they are right now I wouldn't be surprised if they were taking out
just a little bit of the good stuff. If you take out one pickle per jar and sell a billion jars a year, you could save lots of $$$$. They figure the average consumer won't miss it.

But those on this forum are not your average mozz. eaters. :-D

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 11:49:11 AM »
With the government programs to make ethanol, corn prices have doubled.  Milk prices have already gone up and are expected to get much worse. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/CreativeConsumer/story?id=3320972&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
Randy

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
I found Polly-O last year at various food outlets. Sometimes these products are in these stores because of nearing experation dates and overstock. But most often though these products are there due to a formula changes or discontinuation of the product.

Thanks for the link Randy. I was aware of the corn price hike but I didn't connect it to dairy.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 05:30:36 PM »
Made a Chicago last night and used Poly-O.  Tasted fine to me.

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
I tried some Polly-O whole milk recently for one of my NY Style attempts.  I normally use Sorrento.  To my taste, the Polly-O was flavorless and didn't bake well.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 12:28:53 AM »
  I normally use Sorrento. 
Same here, I prefer it over Grande by a large margin. I never tried the Polly-O. BJ's carries it but I always grab the Sorrento instead.  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline pizzaJoe

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, mmmmmm!
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »
I normally use Sorrento.

FYI, I was curious about local availability so I pinged the Sorrento home page "comment" page and recieved the following reply:

"Joe - our Sorrento products are branded as Precious Cheese on the West coast. You should be able to find them at Safeway or Walmart in your area."
PizzaJoe

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 10:51:07 AM »
pizzaJoe,

That's good news for me since I can find the Precious mozzarella cheese (low-moisture part skim) at a Safeway-owned supermarket near me. An interesting side note is that the Mozzarella Fresca brand of fresh mozzarella cheese is also part of the same group of cheese companies as Sorrento.

Peter

pizzapan